Pro-Ject VC S2 ALU Record Cleaning Vacuum Now Super Loud

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Dec 21, 2021.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any other Pro-Ject RCM owners experience this? I mean LOUD...just started last week. Suction may be a little less as well. I looked and everything seems intact. I purchased from MD in October of 2020. I wrote them a couple of days ago and see if it is still in warranty or maybe they could exchange. I maybe clean 2-3 records a month and it has been flawless before. I keep the fluid collection empty and do everything correctly. I wish I had the money for a DeGritter

Bummer :(

2. DaleClark

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Good luck. A few people have had problems with these things. Bearings in them go bad or other parts stop working correctly.

4. DaleClark

No word from MD. I just wrote Pro-Ject. This thing sounds like a loud table saw

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yikes, hopefully they get back to you soon with some kind of solution. I wonder if a seal on the box broke or if the vacuum motor is crapping out.

6. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

It happened to mine , went really loud then started to smell burning. Sent it back under warranty & they fixed it.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. DaleClark

Simko ( pro-ject USA distributor) got back and referred me to their service center. I’ll have to fill out an online form and they will be in touch. I really don’t want to ship this thing :(

8. DaleClark

Music direct wrote back and I have to go thru Sumiko support. Hopefully, the process will be pain free

guy1 likes this.
  9. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

Mine pretty much sounded like a jet taking off from day one. It still has great suction, though. These occasional negative reports have me wondering when mine will start showing it's warts. Only one issue so far was having to change the pads on the suction arm when I noticed streaking moisture while drying, but that's expected. I clean about 3-4 records a week on average.

On a side note, lately I've been using Neil's cleaning technique featured in another thread, (here). After scrubbing my records at the kitchen sink, my LPs come out looking virtually pristine. I now only use the VC S2 for a distilled water rinse and drying. Kind of a waste now, but the results are great and certainly less noisy.

recstar24 likes this.
  10. eric lubow

eric lubow Forum Resident

I had that machine. Worked for about six months then terrible noise. Lots of people have had problems with these. Poorly made. Project should be ashamed. I just tossed it. Not worth getting fixed. I bought a Clearaudio Smart Silent Matrix. A very solid machine but expensive. You get what you pay for.

Budley likes this.
  11. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have one, so far so good but I suspect you can replace the vacuum pretty easily. This guy does a good job of taking it all apart......I think you can buy the vacuum for about $100 online is my guess.

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Same with mine, I can't even imagine it getting any louder, I always use earmuffs. It is just as loud as like a vacuum cleaner and at least the vacuum cleaner is at some distance from your ears.
    I haven't used it that much the last few months but I guess if it ever goes bad I will just replace the motor. It does a good job and the difference in price was too substantial to consider getting a different one.

DrZhivago likes this.
  13. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

^ I wear ear plugs also, either way it's too loud.

14. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Mine got louder over time and eventually completely died. I couldn't find a suitable motor replacement online, so I tried to disassemble it to replace the bearings. It was a beast to get apart, so I eventually bought some tubing, a clamp, and a universal shop vac tool adapter. It looks a little weird with the hose and adapter and sticking out of the side, but I just hook up the shop vac when I need to clean some records. It works just as well as it did when it was new and I can always get a new shop vac.

Budley likes this.
  15. DaleClark

Thanks. I may just do it my self or just use earplugs

16. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

would you still happen to have the address and contact information for the distributor? My RCM vacuum has also started to be so loud that it can't be used. The unit is about six months old. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

17. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

Geez - I bought mine about 5 months ago and yesterday I experienced exactly what the OP described. I emailed Music Direct, but I would appreciate any advise from those of you who replaced yours or got a refund. Someone to call/email at Simko?