Pro-Ject VC-S2 velvet strips - how long are they supposed to last?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Electric Warrior, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

2. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member Thread Starter

I simply bought 6.7 mm, because that's the approximate base witdth of the Pro-Ject strips. Narrow may work even better, as only part of the base is sticking to the metal tube, anyway. Narrower may reduce the chance of the base scratching the record.

Total height (including the base) is 3mm. This may be a little difficult to find, but I woulnd't go higher than that.

Dafox likes this.
  3. Electric Warrior

Going green. Velvet ribbon and transfer tape. Not bad.

[​IMG]

Dafox likes this.
  4. Electric Warrior

The devil is in the details here. The bond between the tape and the ribbon is tricky. I've gotten a different type of transfer tape and it holds the green ribbon pretty well. But there's a huge problem: it's shedding fibers.
    I've also got an orange coloured ribbon of a different brand. It doesn't shed, but it doesn't work as well as the green stuff and transfer tape isn't sticking to it that well. It comes off after cleaning a couple of records..

Back to the drawing board!

Dafox likes this.
  5. Electric Warrior

I'm curreently trying this: Amazon.de
    Turns out it's the same material that Pro-Ject uses:
    [​IMG]

So obviously it performs like the original strips and dries the record in a rotation or two. As I use two individual pieces instead of one oval one, they are easier to install and they also allow to remove most of the fluid around the label, which is a great improvement.

Unfortunately this stuff loses fibers as well. Leaves black marks on the lint roller, which is quite discouraging. I haven't found any fibers on the stylus yet, though.

Dafox likes this.
  6. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Thank you for starting this thread.

I just bought a used 7" wand and want to replace the strips on it, and the black ones seems impossible to get ahold of. I have had the RCM for 2 years and have never had any issues with them, but have still replaced them a few times just as a normal maintanence thing. I have one pair of black ones left (which I would like to save for the 12" wand), and probably 3 pairs of the white ones (long story).

So it seems like people are happier and get better results with the white ones? It is probably time to switch on my 12" wand as well - I'm assuming it would be beneficial for me to try those instead of the black ones?

So given the difference in height of the black vs the white strips I'm assuming this is a must? The reason I'm asking is that I've had a lot of problems with this product (this is my third unit - the first two were defective), so minimizing any adjustments to it is preferable, but obviously if the results are better I will do so.

7. Mookielagoo

Mookielagoo Marky-mark Vinyl Nut

Glad to have found this! Just had my VCS2 repaired under the 2 year warranty (motor bearing dying and making a god aweful noise!) PRO Ject no longer do the dual black strips, instead they've replaced with a 'thinner' one piece variant which I think is inferior and doesn't fit my vac arm. Swapped for the white strips instead. Apparently the UK dealer said that the Grey strips will be a thicker material and a more suitable replacement for the black. I clean about 100 records before changing the felt. It's a fab machine imo. Very pleased with it, now it's been repaired!!! When I've worked out how to add a photo to the forum I'll upload one!
    Cheers

8. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I'm getting moisture coming back onto the record after I shut off the motor. I suppose my strip is wet and tracking on the record as it comes to a stop. Do I need a new set of strips? Is there a way to elevate the arm such that there is no direct surface contact?

9. Mookielagoo

Mookielagoo Marky-mark Vinyl Nut

I changed the strip to the white variant and it's superb. I've found that the arm gently rests on the record now and the vac lifts the record giving it a lovely clean and sucking the water all off. It's much drier and after tipping out the muck from the machine I could clearly see the tiny black specs of vinyl. Great machine!

LitHum05 likes this.
  10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Where do you get the white strips domestically here in the US? That’s my problem with the machine. I let it spin for longer then needed (supposedly) and still the record remains moist, especially toward the spindle hole.

PooreBoy likes this.
  11. Electric Warrior

New strips may improve this. You may also experiment with the platter height.
    Also, I found it's best to turn off the vacuum and then quickly lift the arm with the record still spinning.

12. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I'd also like to know where you can purchase the white strips in the US. They are far superior to the black ones.

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. Electric Warrior

They are expensive and don't stick to the wand. I've seen a new 7" kit that had them pre-installed and they were already coming off. Not even Pro-Ject can install them properly. :D

14. Y Tangnefeddwr

Y Tangnefeddwr Forum Resident

Hi folks

Slightly tangential question, sorry!

My local, excellent, record shop have kindly loaned me one of these machines to try. I’ve been enjoying using it, and it has made a difference to a number of my records. I may well buy it.

A couple are still very noisy. I attribute that to just being in such a bad condition.

I have two which have a repeated click. I’ve inspected both closely, and cannot see a scratch at all. I totally realise it might be something I can’t see. However, when I listen to YouTube clips, both tracks have exactly the same repeated clicks.

I know some vinyl is pressed from other copies of the record, but these are both official releases. I was just wondering if there’s an explanation? It must be in the recording process, somehow?

The reason I ask is to establish whether it’s something the cleaning machine isn’t picking up. Given the YouTube clips, I don’t think it can be. I would probably then get the machine.

Any info gratefully received.

15. Electric Warrior

If it's on other copies as well, it's probably not something that can be removed by clelaning.