" Pro Tools Editing " listed in CD credits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

" Pro Tools Editting " listed in CD credits

I just picked the CD Tribute to Edith Piaf 1993 on amherst records featuring covers by Emmylou Harris, Donna Summer, Corey Heart, Ann Wilson (Heart), Pat Benatar, Willy DeVille, K.T. Oslin, Leon Russell, Chris Spedding, Jason Scheff (of Chicago), and Ivan Lins.

I picked it up for the Emmylou track. Most of the album (except for the Benatar and DeVille tracks) has the 80's/early 90's glossy/shimmery sound - synthesized echoey drums, programmed keyboards, etc.

one of the credits states :"Pro Tools editting done by: Jon Dickinson".
    I can't recall ever seeing that on a CD. Are there many other examples of this out there?

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Donald, I'm sure I've seen that before on a few CD's that I looked at. For the life of me, I can't remember which ones. I do know this, I didn't buy them. Not because of the Pro-Tools statement. I didn't buy them, for other reasons.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

A lot (most) of new pop, rock and country CD's have that credit.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That also includes Amy Grant's "Simple Things" CD.

5. stereoptic

Interesting, I haven't noticed it (at least I don't remember) on anything else that I have - I guess because I'm too busy buying/listening to old pop, rock and country! I thought that the use of Pro-Tools was more recent, I was surprised to find it on an 11 year old recording. What year is the Amy Grant CD?

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Oops, I wasn't implying that you're an old fart. PT is a newer technology so it shows up on a lot of newer albums. That's all. :)

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, you know, other than the Audiophile stuff (iand sometimes that also) just about every CD released today has been "Pro Tooled".

Thats technology for you. They use it wether its needed or not.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It is rather frustrating when I get asked why I haven't made the switch to PT yet. It's like they assume I have those plans because there's no other way to do things properly without it. I call them Pro Tools snobs. I do just fine without it, thanks! Well, that's not entirely true. I did receive my 002 system yesterday... but it's only for transferring things over to RADAR so I can properly mix them in the analog domain through all my gear.

PT does have a sound to it. Things get softer sounding (less aggressive) and the top end is a bit mellower for some reason. Still, I've worked with some really amazing sounding tracks recorded to PT. It's not the format, it's the guy driving.

This is just the way things are recorded today. Don't blame PT for all the evils going on out there. Most of these "evils" are the norm and very highly accepted by those making music today. Technology is a constantly changing thing and the only way to evolve is to use the new tools available.

I bet people had problems when electric guitars and basses became the norm. Can't you just hear some guy saying "In my day they didn't need all this new electronic stuff to make good music."

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The new Rush EP gives a pro tools credit. Same with the last few Clapton ones I think.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I see that on the majority of pop/rock CDs. Nuthin' wrong with it, and no big deal. Most CDs made go through some kind of DAW anyway.

11. Grant

Could that be because of the dither used as a result of working in 16-bit? I know some pros still work in 16-bit.

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Frankly, I use Samplitude. But then, I have a PC . . . whereas (I.I.N.M.) ProTools is mostly Mac-based.

13. BradOlson

Amy Grant "Simple Things" CD came out in 2003 and it is maximized and compressed to death (as I said, it was recorded, mixed, mastered, edited, etc. in ProTools) unlike 1988's "Lead Me On," which was recorded, mixed and mastered digitally using a Mitsubishi DAW and it sounds lifelike.

14. Grant

Just to be clear, that "Simple Things" album was not compressed because of it being processed in Pro Tools. Blame the person in the mastering stage for that.

15. BradOlson

Yes, it was either the mastering engineer, Scott Hull who did that. Steve Fishir, who did the overdubs on her Heart In Motion CD and does engineering on a lot of Nashville product, did the engineering. Fortunately, "After The Fire" on this CD still has a lot of life in its sound because it is only Amy, her voice and her acoustic guitar playing.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess it's naive of me, but I was amazed while watching the Metallica documentary "Some Kind of Monster" at how much of a role Pro-Tools obviously plays, not just in the recording but in the actual *composition* of the songs. You only see a little bit of it but you get the very strong impression that the tracks are all pieced together out of little snippets of the band playing; you never see them play for more than about eight bars at a time. For some reason I thought a band like that (who plays pretty complex stuff in concert) would do more live playing in the studio. But obviously I have no idea how records are really made.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

RIDING WITH THE KING, B. B. King and Eric Clapton, Protools by Simon Climie.

18. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

The latest Clapton album has a credit for a Pro Tools by Simon Climie. I bought it on vinyl, anyway. The LP is mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway mastering.

Cheers,
    Chris]

19. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

In a recent article, Eddie Van Halen professed his love for tape by saying, "Pro Tools makes everything a**hole tight." A friend who isn't really up on technology mentioned ProTools ruining everything recently, who I think read that article. Like you stated, it's the guy driving that counts.

I have no first hand experience with ProTools, but I am assuming that at the barebones minimum, it makes editing incredibly easy, hence the credit "ProTools Editing." It's all the other baggage that comes with it - everything from Autotuning and Pitch Correction to digital effects and noise reduction.

This leads me to a slightly different topic that is worthy of a separate thread that I need to post.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's just like with any other audio tool, you can use it right or you can over use it. I don't hate Pro Tools because people have over used the plug ins I hate the attitudes of the people that use it. Elitism is not tolerated by me.

PT is the way records are made now. It's easy and convenient and you can go crazy making new tones that have never been heard before. Still, it all comes down to the song because if that sucks nothing will make it any better.

21. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

I've heard some complain that Pro Tools also makes it too easy for just anyone to make a song.

And this is a bad thing?

Anyone with a computer or pen and paper can write a book, doesn't mean it'll be a good one. Like some have said here, it's all in what you do with the stuff.

22. Grant

Ahh, but most of it was cut live in the studio. BB King demanded it.

And, everybody, there's nothing wrong with digital recording. It depends on who is doing the enginereing and how the stuff is used.

23. stereoptic

Nope, I didn't think that at all, I was just realizing myself how limited my collecting has become! :) :)

24. Grant

A lot of CD reissues and CD remasters were run through Pro Tools...

25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Well, Pro Tools rigs are pretty expensive, so make that "anyone who has at least $450." And no, it's just a digital audio workstation. It's nothing more nor less than what the person using it does with it.

Exactly right. Everyone on the music forums was moaning and groaning about how Apple's GarageBand would be the death of real talent when it was first released because "now anyone will be able to make a CD". Well, it hasn't happened yet, and I doubt it ever will. Besides, it's hard to imagine current pop music getting any crappier than it is now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.