ProAc or Chario?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by serj, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serj

serj Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, friends. Finally I have some money to buy a new acoustic. I'm thinking of the Chario Cygnus MK II, Chario Pegasus MK II or ProAc Studio 148. I have a quite small room, just 15 mts. My amplifier is SimAudio Moon NEO 250i RS.

Which acoustic could be better? Or, maybe, there is another option in the same "money category"?

2. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Is that 15 square metres?

I can only speak about the Studio 148.

The Studio 148 is quite an efficient loudspeaker, meaning that most amplifiers will drive it with ease.

I auditioned the Studio 148 with a Croft Series 7 power amp delivering 45W/channel, and I felt that the speakers and amp were a good match in terms of power. So your amplifier is probably also well-matched in terms of power.

I really liked the Studio 148. However...... although the Studio 148 is very musical and very lively and dynamic, with a great mid-range and a great ability to rock and roll, it is possible that the bass will be too great for your room. This is what I found in my listening space, which is also approximately 15 sq M.

I can also say, however, that very few Studio 148s appear for sale on eBay. This suggests that people who have bought them in the past have also decided to keep them for the longer term.

serj likes this.
  3. serj

Sotosound, thank you for your comment. Yes, my room is just 15 square meters.. I think that Chario could have a less strong bass. But I'm not sure if they are really good for a rock music. Although I'm fond of some folk and jazz records (mainly ECM), the main part of my CD collection is rock and new wave. And, some time, I'm in the mood for stoner or doom.

4. serj

Finally I bought AudioVector R 3 Signature:))

sotosound likes this.
  5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I own original Quad ESL's.

And Martin Logans.

And Falcon LS3/5a's.

And my personal favorite, the one I'd keep in a heartbeat if I had to have only one pair of speakers - Proac 148's. There's nothing they don't do well. Easiest speaker to listen to I've ever owned. Sound great on tubes, sound great on solid state. And they're great looking to boot.

I have my preamp going into my sub, and then the sub out going to my power amp. So the power amp and speakers only see 50hz and above. Works fantastic. The 148's don't need a sub but they sure work great with one (when you send the bass to the sub).

serj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.