Problems setting up SL-1200G (recurring static in one channel)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Itsik, Sep 23, 2022 at 2:20 AM.

1. Itsik

Itsik Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a problem where there is a recurring static/buzz sound on one channel which happens once every few seconds.

At first I thought the specific record was bad but then it kept happening on other records.
    So I thought the cartridge might be a problematic but its happened with all 3 cartridges I've tried, Goldring 1042, AT OC9XEN and AT VM540ML.

Pretty sure its a setup issue, just not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    I'm setting up the cartridge with a Feickert protractor in Lofgren alignment.
    I set VTF with a scale to the recommend weight.
    I then use the HiFi news test record, which pretty much passes all the tests and I mainly use it to adjust anti-skate.

After the test record I end up at about 1-1.5 for anti-skate, and I've noticed that increasing it reduces the buzz but doesn't eliminate it.

Previously I had a SL-1200GR and used the Technics supplied alignment tool and don't recall having this issue. Before I try to align with the Technics tool, any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Thanks

2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Strange. Maybe a connection issue at the RCA/headshell cables or the SME connector?

3. Itsik

I should clarify its not a very strong buzz, it sounds more like a scraping sound and is usually below the volume of the music.
    Its only heard in softer passages

4. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Rumble.

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

If its a Technics your setting up
    Technics gauge is best.
    It's geometry is totally bonkers
    When using universal gauge.
    Works though.
    It's a strange fault though.

6. Oelewapper

That’s probably rumble.
    Did the previous owner ship the deck with platter installed?
    That could easily damage the spindle, since it’s such a heavy platter.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It does not sound like a set up issue to me. More like a mechanical problem with the technics. Something is damaged.
    Do you hear it only through the speakers? What if you place your ear next to the platter, do you hear any noise coming from it?

8. Itsik

If rumble, could this be an issue with the subsonic filter in my preamp? It is a DIY preamp and I don't remember if I enabled the subsonic filter.
    If yes, I could try a different phono preamp I have.

I bought the SL-1200G brand new, nothing seemed damaged in shipment.

I'll try to listen to the platter to see if there is any noise.

Texado and 5-String like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it's a platter or bearing or spindle issue that should in theory be audible with no cartridge set down on a record.

Very fine tipped styli can create a swishing sound in the grooves with off-center records. It's also possible you have a static electricity issue, or you need to clean the contacts on your tonearm connector and headshell connector pins.

Just some thoughts, might be something else entirely. Would be good to get a recording of the issue if you have a soundcard/audio interface you can plug directly into.

Oelewapper likes this.
  10. Oelewapper

Ah yes, I reread your initial post, idk where I took that from lol
    Strange.
    Because that kind of swooshing sound is typical for spindle bearing damage.
    You should try to listen up close to see if you can hear the rumble... maybe use a rolled up piece of paper to hear it better... since even a tiny bit of rumble can be picked up by the cartridge.
    Don't put the cartridge on while listening, because the stylus itself will make some noise too while riding the groove.

Yes this could definitely be helpful.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Rumble is usually not a higher pitched staticy scratchy sound. Don't know what kinda noise you are getting because no recording. DIY gear is always a risk - could be something off with it, a bad solder joint, something not put together right, etc. I'd try a known good solid state commercial unit to eliminate potential problems.

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Static or buzzing sounds like a grounding or RF interference issue to me. Have you tried swapping phono cables before the preamp? Subsonic filter would be much lower in frequency. Are all of the carts you tried on their own headshells? If so that should eliminate that area.

13. Itsik

Each cartridge is mounted on its own headshell (standard Technics).

Before I try swapping in a commercial phono preamp and make a recording, I just ran the turntable and listened to the platter.
    With my ear right next to it, there is faint knock/tock sound every 2 seconds .... I assume that is not good?

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If the sound happens only when the platter is rotating and at the same exact interval, you're probably onto the issue. Assuming you removed the platter and re-seated it? A brand new TT wouldn't need lubrication and such.

Aftermath likes this.
  15. Oelewapper

That knocking sound should only happen very shortly when starting or stopping the platter.
    It shouldn't continue during rotation once it's up to speed.
    These new decks have self lubricating bearings, so oil can't be added/replaced by the user.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Itsik

If someone else has a SL-1200G it would be nice if they can confirm if this noise is expected or not.

1. The knocking sound on start/stop platter is only heard when the platter is unscrewed. When it is screwed in there is no knocking on start/stop.
    2. The knock sound during playback is at the same exact interval/position of the platter. It is much more faint than the knock sound on start/stop.
    3. The knock sound is only present when the motor is running. If I manually spin the platter it is silent throughout the rotation.

17. Itsik

Hmm, not sure whats going on but after screwing back the platter in and playing "known" noisy records, the issue is not happening as before.

This leads me to think it was either the platter not being on perfectly or some static issue as mentioned earlier.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  18. Oelewapper

I do.

1. Nope, bolts or no bolts - doesn’t matter.
    But you shouldn’t run your TT without fastening those bolts anyways.
    2. Zero audible sounds on my deck. Unless it has been out of use for some days.
    It makes an ever so slight scraping noise that goes away after a few minutes (can only be heard if your ear is up against it and there’s zero ambient noise).
    3. I don’t know about that. Never tried that.

patient_ot likes this.