Problems with Sony Scd-777es Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spotlightkid, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

i have had my sony scd-777es player a little over one year.i have had my Sacd disc of Roger Waters stop playing all together once and also some cd-r's would not play-anyone else have the problem with the Roger Waters sacd.

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Check Audio Asylum in their High Resolution group their have been numerious postings on that disc and problems with it.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have talked to someone who actually had to get his SCD-777ES fixed because of CD-Rs he played in it. It seemed that the CD-R caused havoc with the laser assembly trying to determine if the disc was playable or not. In turn the entire laser assembly shorted out and had to be replaced.

The folks at Sony that fixed his unit told him it broke because he tried to play a CD-R in the player.

This little bit of information has led me to never put a CD-R or CD-RW in my XA777ES. I keep a old CD player around just to play my CD-R's.

As far as the Roger Waters disc is concered, there have been many TOC read problems with these discs. I have experienced them personally on my CE775 (which is no longer in my system).

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My Krell 20i has no problems with cdr's. There is one Jackson Browne disc that will not play on my unit. That is the only one ever not to play on my unit.

5. rickjames

rickjames New Member

I owned this unit and the SCD-1. A common problem is reading various disks, such as gold ones. I think Sony has a unadvertised across the board problem with many players that are out there. The solution seems to require replacement of the spindle motor & optical pickup. FYI, I have a freind in CA who just did the Richard kern Mod to his SCD-1 (the 777 unit is almost a internal clone of the SCD-1). He told me the difference is not subtle. He prefers the Sony now over his Theta Gen Va DA processor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.