Problems with VM 540ML

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by freecrowder, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freecrowder

freecrowder Member Thread Starter

So I have been using a AT VM 540ml for a little less than a year now. It has developed a low level noise or resonance I've noticed. I first heard it in silent grooves and it sounds like a "boing" noise. I know that sounds kind of crazy. The thing is I don't think it is an alignment issue with the cart. I have noticed that I hear it also when the arm tube is locked on the arm rest too. When I take my Disc washer stylus cleaner and slightly just make contact with the stylus I hear the same low level resonance. This isn't when I scrub across the stylus I know what that sounds like just when a very light touch makes contact with the stylus. You also hear it louder when you lift the stylus from the record. just as it breaks contact. Any ideas.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Difficult to say.
    Could be the cartridge if amp is fine on line level.
    I would try turntable in a different system.
    If thats not possible. Fit another
    Headshell and maybe an AT95E
    As its not expensive.
    Without even playing it , you can
    See if fault is still there.
    Obviously if fault is still there and
    You are using an integrated.
    I would try another providing you can borrow one.
    Process of elimination.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Welcome to the forum. Can you make a recording of the sound?

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What turntable is the cartridge on? What is effective mass of your tonearm? How many hours are on the stylus? Did you check the resonance of the tonearm and cart when you first set it up (using a test record and software)?

5. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Something's loose? Loose tags can be microphonic, sometimes the cartridge mounting screws, too.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

@Ripblade Your avatar is what I was looking for on Discogs yesterday. $150 avg though..pretty rare on vinyl I guess.

7. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

o_O Seriously?! Guess I should sell my copy, then ha! :goodie:

I've always liked Tusk better, and the Live album.

8. freecrowder

So I have tried the same phono setup with a different phono preamp and it does it with that one also. It did not do this when I first setup the phono about 8 months ago. I might be able to record it for people to hear. This is on a VPI scoutmaster/JMW 9 memorial tonearm. I don't think it is a resonance because it will do it in the tonearm rest when just lightly touched with stylus cleaner. As far as loose bolts they are tight. I have not checked connecting wires but will.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I had Mystery to Me on vinyl too back in the day. Not a lot of vinyl in print evidently!

10. rocketmotor

rocketmotor Forum Resident

Yes, check these and phono wires as the exit the arm, anti-skate, headshell tight, all arm adjustments snug.

11. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

To me it is either a defective cart or there is a wire that is loose. Did you check the head leads? Did you try adding another ground, maybe to the amp and phono pre?

12. freecrowder

Yeah the fact that everything was working correctly before makes me think something has gone wrong internally. Thanks everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.