Producing The Beatles - new podcast

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solaris, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

Great podcast. Fascinating and fun.:righton:

bpmd1962 likes this.
  2. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Only just discovered this now! I'm supposed to be working but listened to a brief bit of one of the podcasts and it sounds excellent. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of it at lunchtime.

Thanks so much for doing this. I think this will salve my cravings for a reprint of Recording The Beatles (which I see is one of your sources).

Solaris likes this.
  3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Nice work. Very enjoyable listen.

Solaris likes this.
  4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

Episode 4 is coming Monday. Before then, if you guys could rate the podcast on whatever platform you're using to listen, and maybe write a one line review, that would be a big help. These things keep us visible and make it easier for listeners to find the podcast.

Thanks!

Bowie Fett, oboogie and IronWaffle like this.
  5. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Great podcast, I enjoy it very much! Just one little observation to this episode.
    Ticket To Ride vocals track was not an overdub. John and Paul sang live. It's obvious from the vocal track isolation where you can hear the room reverbation and the vocal mic picking up John's plec strumming his Fender Stratocaster at the same time.
    Anyway, great podcast. Many thanks for it!

Ondra

IronWaffle and Solaris like this.
  6. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Listened to the In My Life piano episode; awesome, looking forward to more.

Solaris likes this.
  7. Solaris

Good catch. I went back and forth on that one but I agree with you, it sounds like it was recorded live. I'll update the episode as soon as possible.

IronWaffle and Onder like this.
  8. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I don’t know how I missed this, but congratulations, Jason.
    Will listen ASAP.

Solaris likes this.
  9. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Subscribed. I’ll be catching up during the week. The nice perk of working at home is playing podcasts out loud and not bothering anyone!

SRC, paulbright81 and Solaris like this.
  10. Solaris

Are you seeing the other episodes? I see them on my phone via iTunes but I looked at my girlfriend’s phone yesterday and only the first two show up for her.

11. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yes, I've got parts 002 and 003 downloaded on my iPhone, in the Podcasts app, just haven't had time to listen yet.

Solaris likes this.
  12. Solaris

Thanks!

I just checked on her phone again and they’re showing up so it must have been a momentary glitch.

I fixed the error in Episode 3 reflecting Onder’s note above. It’s on iTunes and will be on the other platforms as soon as I have a chance to upload the corrected version.

SRC, IronWaffle and oboogie like this.
  13. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

Very excited about this, looks like a lot of hard work has gone into it!
    Bevan

Solaris likes this.
  14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Loved the most recent episode and am looking forward to the next. In a sea of Beatles podcasts, Producing the Beatles is one of the better ones for those of us loving the technical detail.

15. Solaris

Thanks! Writing and producing each episode takes a lot of time, not only because I’m a perfectionist but also because I want to make sure I’m making my points clearly enough that a general audience can understand. This is primarily the case when dealing with some of the more involved studio techniques and the technical/theory side of the music.

oboogie, IronWaffle and Onder like this.
  16. Solaris

EPISODE 4 : THE BEATLES ON MULTITRACK, PART 2

In the second half of our brief overview of how George Martin and The Beatles used multitrack recording, we’ll hear how they pushed four-track recording to its breaking point, and we’ll learn how they managed the complex arrangements on Sgt Pepper with such limited means. We’ll also hear how the band’s jump to eight-track recording during the White Album sessions reflected a shift in their relationship with their producer, and how they were still pushing the limits of recording technology even on their last album.

[​IMG]

Rupe33, Chris M, autumn daze and 2 others like this.
  17. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Episode 4 rocked !

oboogie and Solaris like this.
  18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Best one yet. Well done Jason.

Solaris likes this.
  19. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:edthumbs: I just downloaded the latest two. Will be listening later.

Solaris likes this.
  20. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Just finished Ep. 1 and starting Ep. 2. Great subject to dig into. I need to pass this along to my dad. Can't wait to hear the others (and the future episodes you produce!)

IronWaffle and Solaris like this.
  21. Solaris

Thanks! I'm super excited about episode 8, which I'm still putting together. I went into a recording studio with three cellists and four trumpet players and re-recorded the score for Strawberry Fields Forever, playing along to The Beatles' wild rhythm track. I had the engineer mic each of the instruments individually so I could demonstrate the harmonies by pulling certain parts out, and one of the cellists is a musicologist who had some great insights. I plan to make the full mix of the recording available for purchase on iTunes, as well as the seven individual instrument tracks, so if you want you can mix the score yourself or just listen to each part isolated. I hope it will be of use to music teachers as well.

Episode 5 is a re-recording and analysis of another score off Sgt Pepper, but one that didn't require as many musicians. Stay tuned for that in two weeks!

22. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Jason, I listened to EPISODE 3: The Beatles on Multitrack, Part 1. It was absolutely compelling! It has been said on at least one occasion that The Beatles learnt to use the studio as an instrument - this episode explains how they did that.

Perhaps I'm behind the times with this stuff but where did you find such clean isolations of the individual tracks? I've never heard John's vocal track for Ticket To Ride before - what a voice!

I gave you a five star rating but iTunes didn't save my review for some reason. I'll try again.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Rupe33 and Solaris like this.
  23. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I gave you a 5-star rating on Apple Podcasts. Fun and insightful :love:

Thank you :thumbsup:

Solaris likes this.
  24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Whoa! That is seriously impressive. The bar for music podcasts has been raised!

Solaris likes this.
  25. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Thanks! Just subscribed through the Google Podcasts app.

Solaris likes this.