Product Placement In Old Television Shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thnkgreen, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Lately I've been binging old television shows, particularly I Love Lucy and Miami Vice. I've noticed a similarity in both - smoking. Rarely does an episode go by without either Lucy, Ricky or someone else on Lucy lighting up a smoke. Same with Crockett in Miami Vice. I got to thinking, was this by design. I realize that a lot of people smoked back in the 20th century, but for a cigarette to be smoked in nearly every episode - seems like product placement/subliminal messaging to me. I have no way to prove my statement, but I wondered if any of you might have noticed the same thing in older television shows. I'm wondering who the primary sponsors were for both of the shows mentioned above.

:wave:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  2. thnkgreen

Saint Johnny likes this.
  3. thnkgreen

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Can you tell what brands they are smoking in the shows? If not, I don't think it's product placement. But they did do commercials.

Here is the strangest one I can think of:

vince and Saint Johnny like this.
  5. thnkgreen

Good point. So far, I can't tell. Oh wow, Fred and Barney burning one.... hilarious!! (and sad)

mmars982 likes this.
  6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Looks like it was actually common to have commercials during I Love Lucy that featured Lucy and Desi. Kind of blurred the line between the show and the commercial.

thnkgreen likes this.
  7. arley

arley Forum Resident

The Red Skelton Show was sponsored by Johnson's Wax, and there were occasionally jokes about that. Someone came in to Freddy the Freeloader's shack and cleaned up the place, and he was horrified--saying, "Oh, why did I let someone in here who dusted with Pledge!!"

thnkgreen likes this.
  8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Product placement was common on TV back then. When I was a kid, I remember Kelloggs hosted The Beverly Hillbillies they sometimes had a box of Kelloggs Corn Flakes visible in the kitchen.
    Ford was a sponsor of Hawaii Five-0, every car used in the series was a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln. Similarly, everybody drove a Studebaker in Mr. Ed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    thnkgreen, Saint Johnny and Scowl like this.
  9. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

mmars982 and thnkgreen like this.
  10. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The Linus the Lion Hearted cartoon series was created by General Foods specifically to promote Post cereals to kids. Several characters (Linus, Sugar Bear, Lovable Truly, So-Hi, Rory Raccoon) appeared on the boxes of Post cereals. Sometimes the cereals were mentioned or seen in the cartoons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.