"Promising Young Woman" ... Recommended!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Stephen J, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

You can lash out at me, I can take it. :winkgrin:

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:wantsome::wantsome::wantsome:

I disagreed with too much of what you said to get into it with you! :D

Exotiki likes this.
  3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Darn! Well one day when your really wound up, I’ll have a big row all saved up for just you. :D

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Alfred Molina deserved a best supporting actor nomination.

Yes, It was a role that was only a few minutes screen time, but if Judi Dench can win one for basically two scenes in Shakespeare in Love, he should have gotten one for this.

The second time seeing it really hit me hard, and I have goosebumps on my arms recalling his confession. It reminded me that almost nobody starts out planning to be a bad person, that almost every lawyer of a certain age originally intended to fight for justice, before finding out that that didn't pay very well.

woody likes this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

As I said in the Wonder Woman thread, PYM is an OK movie elevated by Carey Mulligan’s performance. And for that reason I would recommend it.

Exotiki likes this.
  6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I saw this last night and it was certainly intriguing and unpredictable, but I was disappointed and I can't really articulate why. I just expected more. I'm not sure it would be worthy of a Best Picture nomination in any year but a Covid year. Mulligan was riveting as usual but her performance wasn't as great IMO as Vanessa Kirby's in Pieces of a Woman.

Monosterio likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Highlighted/bolded for truth. :righton:

Macman likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Alfred Molina deserved a supporting actor nomination as well.

9. Oatsdad

He was good, but he was barely in the movie! What's he on screen, 4 minutes?

10. Chris DeVoe

As the Prime Minister often says in the House of Commons, "I refer to the learned gentleman to my earlier remarks:"

Yes, It was a role that was only a few minutes screen time, but if Judi Dench can win one for basically two scenes in Shakespeare in Love, he should have gotten one for this.
    I didn't see a better, more powerful or more moving performance by an actor in a supporting role last year.

Andy Smith likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Ehh, Dench didn't deserve the Oscar. Two wrongs don't make a right! :D

12. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I found it interesting that he receives no on-screen credit for that role

And I wonder if Mulligan pushed for him in that role, since he played her father in her breakthrough part in "An Education" ?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I understand that sometimes actors do that, refusing an on-screen credit, to avoid hurting their negotiating position for upcoming films.
    You may be right, I didn't even think about that. I saw it, but only once in the theater, quite a while ago.

We may go see this film in the theater again, while it's still playing in at least a couple of my local AMCs.

I'll confess to being a notoriously soft touch emotionally, but Alfred Molina's part in this film honestly moved me to tears.

Here's a man who did bad things, who wronged many people, who's honestly remorseful... and there's not a damn thing he can do about those things except ask for forgiveness.

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The wife and I watched this tonight after getting the blu-ray from Netflix. Have to admit I didn't think much of it for the first half, but once it pulled us in, it really pulled us in. I would say Mulligan deserves an Oscar, but there's too much good competition out there this year (pandemic not withstanding).

As for Alfred Molina being uncredited, isn't that a kind of common thing when big actors take small roles? Something about them being billed so far down can hurt how much they get offered for future work?

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Given his fame, he probably would have been billed pretty high up, despite the size of his role, if he chose to be.
    I suspevt he did the role as a favor to either Mulligan (who he has worked with previously) or director Emerald Ferrell (who also has an extensive acting career...I just found out that she plays Camilla Parker-Bowles on "The Crown")

Chris DeVoe and mmars982 like this.
  16. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I haven't seen it yet, but Mulligan is a reason to watch almost anything!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Lot of time for this flick. Watched it this morning on Sky. At first it comes across as a bit transparent. It isn't. Twists I saw coming and twists I didn't. Carey Mulligan's low-key Fatal Attraction moves are believable. Nice little short roles for Alfred Molina and Connie Britton.
    As a mate offered "...the reviews warned you not to blink..". Quite clever for him, that.

18. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

nice dark comedy, worth a watch

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Also, what was her plan in the final scene if the guy's bed didn't have metal rods to handcuff him to? Most beds have a wood headboard with no place to attach handcuffs.

But I did very much enjoy the movie. Great acting, wonderful tone, and inspired directing. Thoroughly enjoyable.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. 40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle

40WattPhasedPlasmaRifle Forum Resident

I can forgive that plot device more than I can the
    broken or incorrectly-attached
    handcuffs.

The alcohol-fueled lunch date didn't quite click for me either. But the meeting with the university president was perfection.

yesstiles likes this.
  21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Watched this tonight. Liked it quite a bit. Carey Mulligan was very good.

yesstiles and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Those fluffy cuffs are much cheaper than real police cuffs. Fluffy cuffs are more for novelty gifts or committed couples doing role playing - rather anyone trying to actually escape.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I also recommend. I thought this movie was great and refreshing. I guess yes you could nit pick all sorts of things that don't really make sense or add up but I didn't really find myself doing that in this case. I'm not sure the filmmaker intended everything to be analyzed in such a realistic way.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I concur...
    Just watched this on HBO last night.
    It's writing like this that, if you feel like there are 'flaws' in the plot, you start to try and write for yourself, which I am about to do....
    so, it's inspiring!

25. woody

woody Forum Resident

PYW is now streaming on Freevee. Think there were 4 or 5 commercial breaks.

I had not seen it until last night. I loved it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.