Propaganda - A Secret Wish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lost Monkey, Jan 5, 2013.

1. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

Another fan of the album, here. One of those time-and-place albums where everything came together in exactly the right way to create a musical masterpiece, which is something Morley alludes to in the linked article above. It'd be my vote for ZTT's strongest album release.

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I bought the "Secret Wish" SACD hybrid before that deluxe edition came out. It sounds very good but I have to admit I prefer the Dr Mabuse 12" version from my Sony "Electric 80s" comp. to the one on that release.

3. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

I have the 25th anniversary edition (Salvo/ZTT, double-CD) and it's very good.
    There's a new Claudia Brucken album out ("The Lost Are Found"), produced by Stephen Hague and featuring cover versions of songs by Lilac Time, The Band, Pet Shop Boys ("King's Cross") and more.

4. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I cannot say enough good things about this album. While I consider 1983 the best year of the '80s in terms of the quality of music being produced, I have a weird connection to 1985, and this album was a big part of it.

ggggreenisaac and Stuart S like this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

As the Search feature is not working at the moment, here's a previous appreciation thread that some of you may have missed:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/propaganda-appreciation-thread.142973/

I stand by my comments in the above thread, so won't repeat them here.

With regard to discographies, here are another two to check out:

http://www.hirschbergers.de/Propaganda/e_disco.htm

http://www.zttaat.com/timeline.php?artist=37

My introduction to Propaganda was this 12" single:

[​IMG]

and thanks to YouTube both tracks can be found here:

Duel (Bittersweet):

Jewel (Cut Rough):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IayHZPv8MWc

(XenForo doesn't allow the embedding of more than one video per message! :thumbsdow)

Enjoy!

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Thanks Black Elk for the memory jog-that 12" was my first introduction to the band, I bought it at Wax Tracks in Denver...I thought it was freaky looking--great stuff!

7. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

51vCfSbJ5PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg ztt185.jpg
    If you like Propaganda also worth checking out are Claudia's post-Propaganda project "The Act" (great record, hope the 3 cd set sees a rerelease) and her more recent project with OMD's Paul Humphreys, onetwo

alexpop and ggggreenisaac like this.
  8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Which one? "Kiss Like Ether"? That was from her 1st solo album "Love & A Million Other Things". It was also a single released in a slew of versions/mixes....

10. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Yes it is, from Blue Velvet!

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I bought mine at Penny Lane Records in Liverpool.

12. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Julee Cruise's "Mysteries of Love" -- it's one of the tracks Claudia covers on The Lost are Found.

She also has a couple of appearances I like -- especially "Love Oneself" -- on Andy Bell's first solo album Electric Blue. (Andy Bell from Erasure, not Andy Bell from Ride.)

13. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

"Kiss Like Ether" is also included here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Combined-The-Best-Claudia-Brucken/dp/B004GHIHD0
    "Combined" includes songs by Claudia, Propaganda, Act and OneTwo plus collaborations with Andy Bell, Andrew Poppy, Chrome Seduction and Paul Rutherford.
    Unfortunately they used a needledrop for the single version of "P. Machinery", and in the most recent tracks Claudia's voice is heavily "treated" with the AutoTune.

14. jsayers

[quote="red corner, post: 8408412, member: 5432
    Unfortunately they used a needledrop for the single version of "P. Machinery", and in the most recent tracks Claudia's voice is heavily "treated" with the AutoTune.[/quote]

I didn't notice the needledrop, only listened to that cd in the car so far.
    I also was unaware, but I guess not too surprised, Claudia has been using AutoTune. Must be tempting to utilize it when you're getting on in years and the voice isn't quite what it used to be. That being said, I really like those new tunes, especially Sequentia and Night School. Both these songs sound great on the new live dvd as well, by the way. Again, I can't recommend that dvd to Claudia/Act/Propaganda fans enough!

15. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the links - I started this thread after not being able to find anything with the search. I also have that 12" Duel.

I was looking at my "A Secret Wish" and "Wishful Thinking" LPs the other day and I noticed that both are stamped promotional copies - odd since they were purchased at months apart in 2 different provinces. Don't know how I didn't notice before...

16. jsayers

This thread reminded me that a few years ago when I was really hard up, I sold my Japanese 3" cd singles of "P-machinery" and "Dr. Mabuse". I think I got around $50 apiece for them, but they go for over $100 easily now. There's a "P-Machinery" for sale at Discogs right now for $260.00!!!
    I don't care for the song "Dr. Mabuse", believe it or not, never have, but I really miss that "P-Machinery" single....:cry:

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  17. jsayers

I just checked around for the Japan 3" cd single of "Dr. Mabuse" and found one at Discogs for......wait for it.....

$620.00!!!! :help:

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Aha! I thought so. I have that Julee Cruise album and cd Floating Into The Night - the sound quality on the German vinyl pressing is spectacular.

I have Claudia Brucken's Kiss Like Ether 12". The packaging is extraordinary. I'm looking for the b-side I Dream. Is it on any cd? I know it was released as a cd single at one time. But I don't want to hunt that rarity down. Any other options?

oops, I see it's on the remastered Million Things cd.

19. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

The recent Noise and Girls Come Out to Play cd comp contains what you're looking for, track 16 - (The Ninth Life Of) Dr. Mabuse. It's a decent compilation that brings together yet more of the different track variations and rarities. Sound quality is as good as the 25th Anniversary A Secret Wish cd and it can be picked up very cheaply.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

ALRIGHT! Does it even have the "Before you start, you already bleed" loop before it, too?

21. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Sure does, full track, exactly the same as the old 12" version. Buy it!

22. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

This thread just inspired me to play A Secret Wish. What a masterpiece. The DE is well done.

23. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Sorry for laughing.

24. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I guess the DE version was remastered. Is the sound quality as good as the original CD?

25. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident