Proper Use Of A Zero-Stat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by srigby, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srigby

srigby Active Member Thread Starter

I have a Zero-Stat I purchased about 25 years ago and lost the directions to. I think it still works because it lights up the little test bulb when you pull the trigger. I have just recently gotten back into playing my vinyl again but I have forgotten the proper way to use the Zero-Stat. Would someone please remind me in the proper use of it.
    Thanks

Scott

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sure thing. It's actually a positive/negitive ion shower. The trigger is actually a ground that uses your body as a release of energy.

When you PULL, shower the side and hold the trigger in. Go all around the record. Then release semi/slowly (but you don't have to) and shower the record again. You eliminate static charges by flooding it with semi-equal ammounts of static. Just hold the gun about 4" away from the record. You can hear the whine from the gun as static is being eliminated. When you're done, point it at the floor and away from the record.

The barrage of both charges knocks out most static electricity on new records (note that most older records don't have static problems - just the brand spakin' new ones).

Here's a neat test- Blow up a cheap baloon from your kids' birthday party, put on a sweater and rub the baloon on your chest, over the sweater. Works best when you're on a carpet. Hang it on the wall by its static electricity magnetic pull, as it should defy gravity on its own. Take the Zero-stat and aim it 5" away from the baloon and the wall. PULL the trigger. It should jump. When you release the trigger, the baloon will fall to the ground. See? Full-on positive charge, and a blast of negitive.

Yes, a million and one uses. Works great with cat hair on a sweater! Just don't aim it at a Christmas Tree with tinsel on it. You might get a painful zap. It's not deadly though.

The Ion polarity has a certain smell too. Weird. Take your finger and put it 2-3mm away from the needle-point of the gun. Pull the trigger. Notice when you pull, you see the electricity go into your finger, and when you release, the electricity seems to be coming FROM your finger. Because there's no buildup of static from such a short distance, you can barely feel the zap.

Or, if you use the Discwasher VRP sleeves on brand new records, the static is eliminated by sitting in one o' them. That's why I barely ever have to use my Zero-Stat. It'd have to be ONE tough customer with lots of static!

Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.