Psychedelic albums by non-Psychedelic artists

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

tug_of_war and rockerreds like this.
  2. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

I'd add that Smile was definitely psych. Unfortunately, Smiley Smile is what we got instead and most identify it as psych., but what it was a series of lame demos. I've read posts that say Pet Sounds was psych which is rubbish but what I really don't get is thinking that HCTN disco was psych. :wtf: :unhunh:

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  3. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Smiley Smile is lofi beauty. :love:

4. oldsurferdude

That may be true for some but it was the beginning of the end of successful charting for the group. While they did have a bit of a comeback, it paled to previous successes. Their fortunes would now have to come from touring which proved to be successful until the death of Carl Wilson. Not having Dennis didn't help either. In any case, they became an oldies band well before those two unfortunate passings.

5. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Smiley Smile definitely was the beginning of the decline but it also ushered in one of my favorite trilogies in music. There's no Wild Honey or Friends without Smiley Smile, and a world without all three is not a world I wanna live in.

tug_of_war and Ignatius like this.
  6. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

I have always thought that Ray LaMontagne's Ouroboros was a pretty trippy album...
    Dave

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  7. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

I kind of got a bit of a psychedelic vibe outta this one. Not all of the songs, but there was a strand of psychedelia running though it, both lyrically and musically. Great record.

[​IMG]

8. oldsurferdude

With the exception of SS, I totally agree! In fact, I'll go even further by stating I wouldn't want to live in a world without:

Wild Honey
    Friends
    20/20
    Sunflower
    Surf's Up
    Holland
    Brian Wilson's solo albums

tug_of_war likes this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

"The Bee Gees First"

Not every track is psychedelic, but the ones that are...wow...

10. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

11. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

whoa .... re: del shannon. listening to this album now ..... nice nugget thanks !!

Penny24 likes this.
  12. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Is raga rock psychedelic ?

The best example. Played by a blues band. Eight Miles High is also a wonderful example

sharedon, Buddybud, anth67 and 3 others like this.
  13. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Do the Rolling Stones really count? Unless you're really strict with your definitions; and this thread has shown most people aren't, then imo most of their stuff from Aftermath to Satanic Majesties has psychedelia.

14. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

“Take that chair from off of your head, this thread is the place for your cheers!”

(Soz, just occurred to me.)

Neonbeam and anth67 like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Great album!

CliffL likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Dave said they did acid? Can imagine.
    Miles was on a health trip up to and including 1970 or so, but drenched in cocaine and morphine (broke both ankles in a car accident in late 1972) once he got to On The Corner ("things started blurring").

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I confess I somewhat reject the premise of this thread. If an artist makes a psychedelic album -- then why wouldn't they be a psychedelic artist at that point in time? Unless an artist is pigeon-holed into being one thing for their entire career, or only making one kind of music, then when the shoe fits the shoe fits. It would be bad faith for the artist to pretend otherwise.

18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Certainly true for Traffic, who entered existence as a psychedelic band.

Muddy's Electric Mud being the other end of the spectrum, where he'd never have defined himself as a psych artist however fruitful that experiment.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Speaking of which, there is a rumor (that I find easy to believe) that Coltrane and other group members did acid before this recording.

[​IMG]

420JJJazz666 and DTK like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, there's also the rumor that Coltrane didn't want it released.
    The serious Coltrane scholars mention his possible use of acid in their books so I presume there's circumstantial evidence there (i.e. what his friends and musicians have said).

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Time Has Come Today by the Chambers Brothers?

Buddybud and DTK like this.
  23. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

and I'm sorry if i misread the original title of the thread to be songs.... it sure doesn't say that NOW... :D

maybe my contributions were "albums" probably not, some people liked my thoughts.... nice when that happens....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.