Psychedelic comps ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 21, 2020.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    sharedon and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

4. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Chocolate Soup For Diabetics got collected as a cd box set a few years ago. Was Freakbeat invented to describe the contents of the original volumes? was certainly roughly at the same time.

Misunderstood Before The Dream Faded
    Was a compilation of their work from around the same time as the original CSFD lp series and is essential.

Grapefruit have come out with a great series of 3cd comps from specific years. also sub genres.

Mojo has put out some really great covermounted cds over the years . The Heavy Nuggets ones have all been worth having. I think there are a few other psychedelic ones.

Souljazz have put out some fantastic space and spiritual jazz compis which should overlap nicely .

Havana Nagile set on Andolu Psych was really good.

Nuggets and Nuggets II have already been mentioned and ate pretty great. Wish II was in print still.
    Nuggets also compiled sets on LA and SF with Where The Action is and Love Is The Song We Sing respectively.
    Wish they'd do ones on Detroit and the state of Texas too.

Pebbles was great on lp and has had various transfers to cd. I would avoid the Trash Box for poor sound and intentional treble boosting. But there are a couple if volumes of best ofs and expanded individual volumes.
    #3 was the volume initially devoted specifically to psychedelia as differentiated from garage.

Australian set called Buried Alive is great. Came out as a 6cd box set and has since had a couple of extra cds added individually.
    Also a set called Ugly Things from the mid 90s had some great stuff.

Luaka Bop David Byrne 's label has been putting out a series of compilations on World Psychedelia including a great one on Africa.

Elsewhere sets like African Scream Contest and The World Ends have picked up some fantastic Sub Saharan African stuff.
    There's also a few volumes of Ethiopiques detailing garage meets soul/funk meets indigenous traditional stuff that needs to be heard I think it's #s 4, 8 and 9 especially.

Will think of more stuff and possibly edit this.

stefane and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

The original individual Rubble cds (1992) got released again in 1999, covers didn’t look as good.

6. Django

Django Forum Resident

I thought the rubble compilations were more garage rock than psych?

Although you could say the same about Nuggets....

7. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

didn't get back to edit the last message in time
    was talking about Love Is A Real Thing with the Luaka Bop African psych compi

also United Sounds of America and Black Fire! New Spirits! and Deutsche Elektronische's various volumes with Souljazz. Possibly the protopunk volume of Punk45 too

8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

There is also the British Psychedelic Trip series, although this does mine a similar furrow to the more expansive Rubble collections.

9. alexpop

Garage?
    More Nuggets.

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

A lot of those cheapo comps are real barrel scrapers.

11. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'll rephrase that, a lot of the cheaper comps seem like barrel scrappers. Loads of crappy recordings by crappy bands.

12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

We buy them for the crappy bands, not for the big acts. Of these you can buy regular albums.

Bill Diercks and GerryO like this.
  13. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

the Paychedelic Years was my introduction to the genre as well around 1990 kind of tune. It’s pretty generic looking back and not many real deep cuts but it’s a phenomenal first primer for any younger listeners who want to understand what all the fuss was about.

musicnonstop likes this.
  14. Django

Django Forum Resident

This is a good un.

[​IMG]

15. alexpop

Most folk who buy comps of this genre don’t buy them for familiar songs from big bands, but for obscure songs from unknown bands .. that’s the appeal.

16. Django

Django Forum Resident

So do I. I have about 15 psych compilations.

17. alexpop

So you don’t mind the crappy recordings/crappy bands then?

18. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

That Ear-Piercing PUnk compilation with Hog For You by The Groupies and Train Kept A Rollin by the Precious Few

Looks like it was on Bomp originally which surprises me though maybe that was absolutely intentional on Greg Shaw's part. Thought it wasa cheap cash in on a label's part cos it has a 70s punk cover , came out in '79 behind the wave and was reissued in expanded form in 91. I got it on cd at some point very cheaply.

Oh & though Precious Few was Chosen Few which was also the name of a precursor of the Stooges. I think the drumming is about as primitive as the Troggs though

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The thing about this genre is that it does sit a little outside of the formulaic material of the period. It can span recordings from very whimsical, childlike expressions to hard-hitting, spookiness. Not everything is going to appeal to everyone, but the variety of styles and production (and sometimes lack of!) is what makes these compilations so fascinating.

Crimson Witch and alexpop like this.
  20. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Another gateway compilation, this one introduced me to all time favorite songs Floating, On Love as well as the better version of My Friend Jack.

[​IMG]

1 _Smoke My Friend Jack (Demo)
    2 –Pandamonium No Presents For Me
    3 –Andy Ellison Cornflake Zoo
    4 –Herbal Mixture Machines
    5 –Fleur De Lys Gong With The Luminous Nose
    6 –Skip Bifferty On Love
    7 –Big Boy Pete Cold Turkey
    8 –Dave Clark Five Maze Of Love
    9 –Village Man In The Moon
    10 –Paul & Barry Ryan I Can't Make A Friend
    11 –Sweet Time
    12 –Marmalade I See The Rain
    13 –Kingsmen I Guess I Was Dreamin'
    14 –Svensk Dream Magazine
    15 –Family Scene Thru The Eye Of A Lens
    16 –Vamp Floating
    17 –Lemon Tree I Can Touch A Rainbow
    18 –Moonkyte Jelly Man
    19 –Mike Stuart Span Children Of Tomorrow
    20 –Opal Butterfly My Gration Or?
    21 –Gary Walker & Rain The View
    22 –Gary Walker & Rain If You Don't Come Back

sharedon and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

One of the first comps.
    I see the ☔️ rain.
    Jimi Hendrix liked that tune.

22. Django

Django Forum Resident

I wouldn't be a fan of the back from the grave, pebbles, chocolate soup for diabetics type of comps.

alexpop likes this.
  23. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

True, but then these comps are also comprised of a lot of obscure-for-a-reason songs by forgotten groups which are thrown together because they can be leased cheaply, and really can't compare to any of the groups I listed. There are treasures to be found, of course, but you have to wade through the dross to find them.

I'm not really talking about Rhino's Nuggets boxes either - as those are of high quality, but then garage rock is its own category, which only sometimes crosses over to psychedelia.

24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

No one single favourite;
    a couple off the top :

An Introduction To Syd Barrett
    (℗ 2O1O Harvest)

UFO – Beginnings
    (℗ 2OO9 Great American Music Company)

alexpop likes this.
  25. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Realistic Patterns-Orchestrated Psychedelia From the USA Vols. 1 & 2

Volume 2 contains the awesome " World War II In Cincinatti" by the Stumbles.

alexpop likes this.