Psychedelic Furs - Made of Rain May 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Jan 31, 2020.

1. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

The new album:
    The Psychedelic Furs / Made of Rain | superdeluxeedition

[​IMG]

The Psychedelic Furs return with Made of Rain, their first new studio album in almost 30 years.

The band’s self-titled debut was released in 1980, while follow-up Talk Talk Talk from ’81 featured the classic ‘Pretty in Pink’, which became a top 20 UK hit in 1986 when it was reissued as a single after appearing on the soundtrack to the John Hughes film of the same name.

But all that is about to change with the news that Made of Rain will be released in early May. The 12-track album was produced by Richard Fortus, and mixed by Tim Palmer

Song : Don't Believe

looking forward to it.

later

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This is a repost from another thread on this topic so I can stay a part of the discussion of the new album!

Pretty good. I’m a huge fan. It sounds like a continuation of Love Spit Love mixed with trying to sound a bit more Furs like with the sax addition. The last two Furs records are so underrated and I also really love those Love Spit Love albums. I really don’t get what the hold up was. This should have come out 20 years ago. I hope the album is amazing! It will be hard to top any of their previous work, including Love Spit Love.

And now we have to wait three more months? It’s been almost 30 years and them talking about a new album for 20. I was really hoping the news today was gonna be the full album release or at least coming in two weeks. Oh well. At least they finally did it! Love them.

Dan C, JL6161, Moshe and 5 others like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Interestingly one of the new tracks is "Wrong Train," which first appeared on their live DVD back in 2001.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

:pineapple:

Wonder if they got him to pull out the axe on a few tunes...

negative1 likes this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, I look at Midnight to Midnight as the aberration in their catalog and WORSHIP LoveSpitLove

SkeletonPete and phillyal1 like this.
  6. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

This calls for a SxSW show in March! Or a tour!

jimhb and negative1 like this.
  7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I hope so, he’s great. Was sad that GnR stole him, though I suspect the pay was much better.

Curveboy likes this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Furs are on tour ALL the time. They and the English Beat are the two most impossible to avoid bands of their era.

9. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Looking forward to this - "Don't Believe " sounds great!

10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Aw man, I love Midnight to Midnight. I know hardcore Furs fans love Book Of Days but that's their one dud for me.

sortvinyl, davers and c-eling like this.
  11. Freddy Steady

Freddy Steady Forum Resident

I’m hoping “ Don’t believe” is a grower. Just one listen so far...feels a bit like two songs bolted together.

negative1 likes this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Love the new track. Bummed the new vinyl with signed print cost almost $60 shipped to the USA..

13. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Pretty good new track, definitely sounds like them. It doesn't seem to have much melody though. I'm not a huge fan or anything, just remember liking their more melodic tracks like Love My Way, Ghost in You, Heaven, etc. Seems like that was only one period of time for them, wonder why.

14. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Considering it has been 30 years, it better be damn good.

Their first 3 albums were great. Mirror Movies was so-so imho.

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Bizarrely I have never felt compelled to track down the Richard Butler solo record. Any fans here?

Moshe and vertigone like this.
  16. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I think it's phenomenal. Doesn't sound much like the Furs, though. Much more electronica-based. And much more meditative. Kind of a grower. But if you want to get a feel for it, listen to the leadoff track "Good Days, Bad Days," and then listen to the single "Broken Aeroplanes." If you like them, you'll probably like the album. If you don't, you probably won't. It was made after his divorce and the death of his father, so it alternates between gut-wrenching self-reflection and quiet resignation. But it's beautiful.

Amnion, Tanx, phillyal1 and 4 others like this.
  17. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

Agreed, they hit major cities pretty much every year.

I remember seeing them a decade ago, in House of Blues, and they have
    come back almost every year since then to there, and other venues.

later

bRETT likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's kinda...meh.

19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I like both Love Spit Love albums, although not quite as much as the Furs.

I think Midnight to Midnight is one-half of a brilliant record. The first side is solid. But it does lose steam in the second-half. (I think you could probably say the same about Mirror Moves, honestly. Although, at least with that one, they ended on the fantastic "Highwire Days.") But they have said, numerous times (about Midnight to Midnight), that they were on a pressurized schedule, and didn't have enough time to write an album's worth of songs.

As for Book of Days, it's a grower. It took a little while before that one really sunk in. But now, it's one of my favorites. People always talk about "Should God Forget" and "House" as being standout tracks, but I think the whole thing is great. I especially love the dreamlike waltz of "Shine" and the agitation of "Entertain Me," which almost hearkens back to the first album in its abrasive dissonance.

palisantrancho and Curveboy like this.
  20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I was on a thread recently - where no one could seem to agree on anything - but several people listed Psych Furs as one of the few bands in music who has at least five albums and not one dud among them.

pwhytey likes this.
  21. palisantrancho

I also much prefer Love Spit Love over Midnight, but I really like everything they have done. I’m also in the rare camp that prefers Book of Days and World Outside over Mirror Moves. Still don’t know why those albums get looked over.

22. palisantrancho

Aw man, I love Book of Days!

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Wow, just wow!!

Curveboy likes this.
  24. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

As for the new album, it's shaping up to be good, so far. I like this song. Sounds like classic Furs. I also really like "The Boy Who Invented Rock & Roll," from the live clips I've heard. So many bands reunite after decades and sound awful. The Furs sound like they haven't lost a step. It may be 20 years late, but better late than never. Bring it on.

25. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Its very good.
    It's different than the furs, but it's an excellent album.

Tanx, twicks, Dave 81828384 and 2 others like this.