Psychedelic Furs - Made of Rain May 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'm excited for the new album, went ahead and pre-ordered it as soon as I saw the announcement. Glad we're finally getting a new album from them.

JL6161 likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I Am Anastasia with Sponge

zombywoof, deekmon and negative1 like this.
  3. deekmon

deekmon Amateur Audio Consumer

Thanks for for heads-up regarding these misc tracks w/ Richard Butler vocals!

Looks like at least 4 of them have been released on CD:

You Need the Drugs (Westbam) track released on WESTBAM: GÖTTERSTRASSE (2013)
    After All (Gossip) song heard in the GOSSIP film (2000)
    Last Call (David Cale, Roy Nathanson) track released on ROY NATHANSON: FIRE AT KEATON'S BAR & GRILL (2000)
    Shineaway (BT) track released on VARIOUS ARTISTS: JACKAL SOUNDTRACK (1997)
    She (Gone Girl) song heard in a Trailer for GONE GIRL film (2000)
    I Am Anastasia (Mazzola, Cross, Dombroski) track released on SPONGE : WAX ECSTATIC (1996)

Has anyone found "After All" or "She" on CD? or download?

Here's a link to the recent "You Need the Drugs (Westbam)" track:

4. Brightness And Degree

Brightness And Degree Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave, I can't PM I think because my account is new. You said 'After All' is on streaming sites, but I can't find it on any. I also can't find it as part of any official release in regard to the Gossip soundtrack. I'll keep looking for it. It's a shame that Richards solo work (aside from the S/T album) is hard to find.

On a related note, can you or anyone identify this Richard Butler song snippet at all? It's titled as 'She's The One', but i've never heard it before and can't find anything by searching that song title -

JL6161 and vertigone like this.
  5. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I had forgotten all about "I Am Anastesia." I got rid of all of my Sponge CD's, except for Rotting Pinata, a few years back. But I still have an iTunes mix with "IAA" on it. So, I just went back and listened to it again. What a great song.

Curveboy likes this.
  6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Would be nice if we get a single (or double) vinyl best of reissue like “All of This And Nothing” or “Should God Forget” to coincide with the new album release.IMHO Sony is THE worse major label when it comes to reissues of some of their best 80’s artists.

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Whoa, this one's new to me.

8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You don't have an option for me to start a private conversation with you yet. I don't know how long that takes. Get in touch when you are able.

9. Brightness And Degree

I wonder why 'Little Miss World' didn't make the album. It seems likely to me that they would have recorded a studio version at some point. I don't know what this performance was for, but it's a decent sound quality and wasn't in front of a live audience. It's 6 years old now, but I remember when I first saw this recording, I was thinking that this was the first sign of a new album (they had been talking about a new album for years, including around this time). They do include 'Wrong Train' on Made of Rain, which has been floating around for years before Little Miss World. Looking forward to more interviews with the band, maybe they'll talk more about track choices.

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I second that.
    Premium prices for crap remasters and poor packaging.

11. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I agree that their '80's artists are woefully underrepresented in their release schedule. But when they release something on vinyl, 9 times out of 10, it sounds fantastic. I've got everything on Sony Legacy US from Prince, along with The Best of Sade and Eurythmics Greatest Hits, to name a few, and they all sound fantastic.

If they actually release a Furs comp on vinyl, it will be done through Legacy, and chances are it will sound great (At least the US copies will. I've heard mixed reviews of Sony Legacy's UK and European divisions). But the odds of that actually happening? Eh, anything is possible. But if I were the betting sort, I certainly wouldn't count on it. But we can hope.

12. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Richard sings backup on the choruses to this one.

JL6161 and Brightness And Degree like this.
  13. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

If it had a better chorus it would be a top 10 Furs song.

14. Brightness And Degree

On the subject of unreleased Furs related music, someone put this on Youtube at the end of last year - 4 unreleased Love Spit Love songs. They're awful quality, would be amazing to find better versions. Despite the quality, the songs sound amazing. Love Spit Love's S/T album is as good as anything Furs in my opinion, and 'Indecision' seems like it would be right at home on that album.

15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Richard Butler has considered painting his primary career for some time.

I may or may not have squealed like a teenager when I read the news about the album today. Good lord it's about time; the Furs have been consistently attracting large multi-generational audiences for years. Ridiculous that they didn't capitalize on that until now, but I think the annual tour has been enough to keep Butler Rep in brushes and canvas without demanding too much of his time and energy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    jamesc likes this.
  16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Why would you record something so lovely and not release it? Perplexing.

17. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Question is: Does anyone else consider painting his primary career? I mean, no offense. He's not bad. But I'm not lining up to see his exhibition.

But I am over the moon that he finally decided to release a proper Furs album. About damn time. I mean, he's only been announcing it for the past 20 years.

I am a huge fan. But I'm sick to death of seeing them live, hearing new songs that will be "on the new album," only to have my hopes dashed again when said album never materializes.

Looks like this time, it's actually going to happen. I feel like a kid on Christmas.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  18. Brightness And Degree

It's a real shame. It seems unlikely we'll ever get another solo album from RB, so unreleased music like this is the closest we'll get to 'new' Richard Butler. I really hope one day we see this and whatever else is tucked away in the vault.

The Youtube channel that posted that snippet has a lot of Furs/RB stuff uploaded, some stuff that I can't find anywhere else. I wonder if they're somewhat inside the inner circle. Unfortunately they don't respond to messages or comments asking about it. I contacted the Furs official email about that song but they didn't reply.

19. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

New song! What's everyone think? I'd say it's equally as good as the last song "Don't Believe". I still hope that there are stronger songs to come. This new one has more of a World Outside vibe. I wish they would just release the album! I want to hear it all together not one song every month.

negative1, TheMovieRad and Curveboy like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Wow...really liked that one. Very LoveSpitLove!

JRose and palisantrancho like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I only permit myself one "pre-release" song from my favorite bands — I figure that's how it used to be, you'd hear the single on the radio and then grab the album. Artists these days release so many songs before the proper album I think it ruins the fun a bit.

22. palisantrancho

I totally agree, but when it’s an album that has been in the works for over 20 years I can’t resist! I do hope that’s the last release before the album comes out. I really don’t understand the three month announcement. Just release it! A month is as long as it should ever be.

TheMovieRad, Curveboy and twicks like this.
  23. Philip Kret

Philip Kret Forum Resident

it’s not just this song I’m afraid. I heard an advance of the lp and I actually think the album is mastered incorrectly. Hopefully not mixed that way. It’s a complete mess with levels so far in the red that the songs suffer horribly. If the released cd is like this I am going to return it. I thought it might be a couple songs pushing the trendy loudness button but when I heard Come All Ye Faithful I had to stop listening. I love the Furs and this is really depressing.

palisantrancho likes this.
  24. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

I sampled Don't Believe.

It sounds ok, very obviously Furs, but does anyone else find that the fact that Butler uses the words 'cigarette' and 'honestly' almost sends it into self-parody? Makes it sound like a Talk Talk Talk cast-off because those are two words in some memorable lines from that album.

art likes this.
  25. palisantrancho

That's disappointing. You would think with all this time they had they would at least make a good sounding record.

AndrewS and Philip Kret like this.