Psychedelic Furs - Made of Rain May 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Jan 31, 2020.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It sounds like an evolution of the Furs to me. Like what the Furs would sound like when they all had 30 years more life experience under their belts. (Which is what it is.)

I’ve listened to it a few times through now, and Wrong Train is my early favorite.

ARL and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Strangely, as much as I like the Furs, I don't have any Love Spit Love or the Butler solo album, so it's difficult for me to comment!

3. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

To me, it sounds like a cross between the two. But it leans a bit more towards Love Spit Love.

palisantrancho and Dave 81828384 like this.
  4. Freddy Steady

Freddy Steady Forum Resident

H
    The Furs. Though to be fair, while I do have the Love Spit Love albums, I’ve not really played them.

5. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Neither really, but a combination of the two. I think it leans more towards LSL. The Furs in the classic sense ended with Book Of Days in my opinion. I like this album, but I really feel the absence of Ashton.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

After it was sold out, Townsend Music has the signed double splatter vinyl back in stock again. After all your comments I just ordered it. Thanx, guys! :biglaugh:

jamesc likes this.
  7. Freddy Steady

Yep and the mighty Vince Ely too. The drumming on a lot of the tracks is too fussy.

8. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I bought it with really low expectations and am loving it. Good fur these guys (i'm sorry I couldn't help it)

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Some of it has a tough Love Spit Love feel, which is no surprise given that Richard Fortus produced it, but it still also feels like the Furs to me. Richard Butler's voice is sounding great and of course the sax helps make it Furs-y too.

palisantrancho likes this.
  10. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The album after Book Of Days, World Outside, is a really good album.

11. stoneknuckle

It is indeed, but I think most of it sounds like Richard fronting a different band. A little soft around the edges.

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

And Midnight To Midnight isn't?

RAZORMADE likes this.
  13. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I like this new album a lot , it reminds a lot of Richard Butlers solo album, I've never heard Love spit Love, i should try it

14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Pretty big Furs/Love Spit Love fan here. I've listened to it twice and take no pleasure in saying this record is the dullest thing the Butlers have been associated with. I'd even say it's fairly punishing, absolutely no fun whatsoever.

Between this and the Fontaines DC record I'm 0 for 2 on this week's new releases. Maybe I'll try that 3-hour podcast with the Richard interview, it's gotta be more enjoyable than this.

stoneknuckle likes this.
  15. stoneknuckle

Agreed, the big sell out record that they don't acknowledge live except for Heartbreak Beat. However, at the time of release it didn't feel like a big departure from what they started mining on Mirror Moves. World Outside just sounds quite different (but still good) to my ears.

RAZORMADE likes this.
  16. stoneknuckle

I think half of this record is very good. The first four tracks, Come All Ye Faithful and No-One.

However, I prefer the old live version of Wrong Train over the new studio version.

palisantrancho likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Do you know what happened to Ashton? He was on the 2001 live reunion album and then new song "Alive".

18. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I wouldn't really call Midnight to Midnight "soft." It's a mediocre album, but it's still mostly uptempo. It's just that the production is too 80's glossy by half, and the songs aren't really there.

World Outside does sound a bit like a different band. There's as much difference between the previous albums and World Outside as there was between World Outside and Love Spit Love. Although Love Spit Love arguably sounds more like the Furs in spots than World Outside. Although, I still consider World Outside to be a great album. Just different for them.

This album sounds like a cross between the first four Psych Furs records and Love Spit Love. And I'm really liking it, so far. It does start to wind down towards the end. It could have been a couple of tracks shorter. But the majority of it is fantastic, IMO. YMMV.

Dave513, ARL and mikedifr0923 like this.
  19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

They played "Angels Don't Cry" and "All of the Law" when I saw them in 2017. I was loving it.

stoneknuckle likes this.
  20. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I've wondered the same thing. I know that he was sharing guitar duties with Richard Fortus for a while. Whether he didn't like that and left or if the Butler Bros. decided there was only room for one guitarist and picked Fortus, we may never know. I found this quote from John which implies the split was not amicable, not initially at least.

"...But this happened to coincide with that period of time when we were starting to drift apart. I want to be sure everyone understands: Yes, I used to be in the Furs, and I’m not any longer, but I feel nothing but gratitude and pride for that period of my life, and I’m very glad we’ve patched things up and are friendly again."

jamesc likes this.
  21. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I think John grew tired of waiting around to make the new album that was talked about for 20 years. No real animosity, just wasn't interested in endless tours of "playin' the hits." He started a new band and put out an album six years ago. I really think he should have stuck with the Furs though, as I don't think his new project lived up to its promise.

palisantrancho and twicks like this.
  22. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'm super excited to get mine, according to UPS it's finally landed in the U.S, but still says another 10 days before it hits my door step. Hopefully they over estimated the shipping time, I could use some new tunes, and am having new record withdrawal...

23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I love the new album, and I love Richard Butler's solo album. But to me, they sound nothing alike. Richard's solo album is hushed, muted electronica. The new Furs is stately gothic post-punk. Aside from Richard Butler's voice, I don't see anything at all in common between the two. JMO.

Dave513 and JL6161 like this.
  24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The new album is surprisingly great, as I wasn’t expecting much. I’m glad they are back, admittedly with just two original members, but they were great back in the day, and remember buying their debut album on first week of release, and seeing them live on their first tour.

JeffMo likes this.
  25. Freddy Steady

India! The best opening song on a debut album. Ever. Scientifically proven. By my ears.

jimhb, JL6161, johnnyyen and 6 others like this.