Public Library for DVD's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tony Plachy, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

My wife and I get all of the DVD's that we want to watch but not buy from our public library, my wife goes on line an reserves them and the call us (a computer calls us) when they are in, usually we can have them for 1 week and it is totally free. Anybody else in to this?

2. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Oh yeah! My public library is half a mile away from my house, and I love to go in after work or on the weekends to grab a spur-of-the-minute DVD. And when I get something from the library, it's usually educational (like a Shakespeare play or an episode of Nova). And that's nice, because I don't subscribe to cable for the fancy channels.

I've subscribed to Netflix for quite some time, so I think what I get from the library complements it nicely.

I also check out CDs from the library, too. Their selection has become very nice and seems to grow every week.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

An excellent way to preview CDs that you are unsure wether or not you want to purchase, or just one of those ones that you know that you'll only listen to it once a year or so.

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

My public library refuses to stock R-rated titles and only buys pan-and-scan where possible. :(

5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I live near a small town and if you don't want to rent only the most recent action flick or something with Arnold Schwarzenegger in it the Public Library is the way to go.

One little stand on my soap box.
    I can't believe the condition some library and rental dvd are in. Discs with major scratches and fingerprints seem to be the norm. I can't believe people don't realize the concept of borrowing and returning something in the same condition they received it in. I know I'm preachin' to the choir here but just something I can't understand.

6. GregY

GregY New Member

Our library has some decent titles, but they charge $1.50 per week for non-new releases. Still better than Blockbuster. The best part is that they consider whole sets as one rental, so you can get entire seasons of TV shows for $1.50. That's how I discovered Fawlty Towers.

7. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I use our local libraries all the time for CDs and books, since the prices, particularly of the latter, have become so prohibitively high. A month or so ago, I found the Ella Cole Porter Songbooks, which was a really nice treasure trove. Great stuff!

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

Micheal, I am shocked. Have they never heard of this thing called the Bill Of Rights and its position on free speech and censorship. I guess the do not have any books with four letter words in them either.

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

The library around the corner from where I work is a treasure trove of old films on dvd...you can take them out for a week.

So far I have seen:
    The Wild Bunch: Director's
    High Noon SE
    The Third Man Criterion
    Day the Earth Stood Still
    On the Waterfront SE

Lots of titles. They also stock some newer titles and documentaries like Ken Burns' Jazz.

10. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I am dead serious. In fact, they refuse to carry any CDs with a parental advisory label. They once bought a bunch by accident and threw them in the dumpster.

They claim it is due to conservative values, yet there are fully nude gentleman's clubs in the county. We also set a state record for the number of methlab busts.

Yet I can drive (literally) 1/4 mile down the road and I'll be in Hamilton County...where there hasn't been so much as a 'titty' bar since they drove Larry Flynt's club out of downtown Cincinnati in the 70s. But, fortunately, the Hamilton County library has no problem with R-rated fare and 'explicit lyrics'.

The hypocrisy around here is so thick you can smell it.

And no, they don't censor the books, just audio/visual media.

11. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

The Tulsa public library has a wonderful selection of DVDs, primarily focusing on foreign and older classics. They do have some newer titles, but the waiting lists are usually miles long.

My place of employment is mere minutes of a walk away, so I certainly use my library aplenty, for books, CDs, and DVDs.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

12. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Yep, same here. My wife is terrible about returning rented movies, so she would usually pay more in late fees every month than what Netflix costs. We've saved a heap of cash in the last few months.

Whoever picks the CDs for the Denver Public Library has immaculate taste. Last weekend, I borrowed the latest from the Soledad Brothers, the Soft Boys, and Lucinda Williams, plus "Truth is Not Fiction" by Otis Taylor. Great stuff!

13. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Wow, that's odd. My library only stocks Criterion and SuperBit releases ..... :)

Actually, the library is a great source for documentaries that hardly ever air again on conventional TV (i.e. PBS or CBC (here in Canada) documentaries).

Cliff :)

14. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I go to the Tulsa library as well and they have several Criterion titles as well as classics and old Laurel and Hardy silent films. Their CD collection is pretty good too.

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My library's online search isn't very good, but I may take a trip over there to see what they have in the form of DVDs. Their CD selection, when I went there five years ago, was mediocre, and some of the more popular titles were a bit beaten up. But the library has also doubled in size and has a lot of new additions. I was hoping they would have had the Star Trek: Next Generation box sets. Can't tell online (no results for the search), but one can only hope.

I remember borrowing 8mm movies when I was younger, to play on Dad's projector. They didn't have too many, but they did have some funny Laurel & Hardy silent featurettes that cracked me up. :D

16. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

This weekend's library dvd picks for me are The Maltese Falcon and Royal Tanenbaums. The library near my home also has a pretty well-stocked used cd section. Even a Mofi or two. :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.