Purchased Klipsch RF-7’s- Help choosing amplifier!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jam757, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I recently purchased a used pair of Klipsch RF-7’s to replace my Polk Monitor 70’s in my 7.1 set up and I’m wondering what receiver I’d need to adequately drive these? Currently I have a budget Onkyo HT-260RC but figure I’m going to require some sort of upgrade. The system would be used for occasional 2 channel listening as well as surround SACDs and Blu rays etc. Thanks for any recommendations!

2. Jam757

Also, just adding that my price range ideally is around 6-800 (new or used). I’d also possibly consider just building a separate two-channel system for the RF-7’s but that’s likely going to be costly.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'd personally pair your Ks with an Outlaw RR2160; THE best bang-for-the buck amp in production. Your magnificent new speakers deserve it. You can always go the Yamaha route if the Outlaw is not your cuppa looks-wise, but Yamahas are very minimal in comparison :

Outlaw Audio

Jam757 likes this.
  4. Jam757

Thanks, it’s a tough call really as I do have to maintain a 7.1 set up so it’s gonna be crowded if I place the RF-7’s next to the Polk Monitor 70’s. I also have a dedicated two channel listening space with Klipsch Heresy on the other side of the room. If only my listening room was bigger!!

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ouch ! Misread the part on which you state you want to keep it dual HT/2-channel; sorry about that. No experience in surround receivers whatsoever.

Jam757 likes this.
  6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

A tube amp. You'll need the warmth so they don't sound so mechanical.

RF7s are efficient so almost any power will light them up.

I've had RF5s for many years and just heavily modified them.

Jam757 likes this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

used mcintosh if possible

Khorn and Jam757 like this.
  8. Jam757

How much does a used McIntosh run, lol? I’m seriously considering just keeping these in a two-channel set up if I can find a way to swing it. If I do go the 7.1 route I’d probably just get a Denon for around $700 or so.

9. Jam757

Well I got the RF-7's hooked up to my 2 channel Onkyo 9010, bi-wired with monster cables that were included (sweet deal!!) and I have to say I am completely blown away by the sound quality. Far and away the best speakers I have ever heard. Thunderous bass that rattles your rib cage and sparkling clean highs (with zero fatigue). These were $800 for a NM pair of maple RF-7's which included the $200 monster bi-wire cables. The RF-7's completely lay waste and destroy the Klipsch Heresy (which I still like a lot)!! Wow, amazing!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.