Pure Prairie League - First 4 Albums on 2 CDs from BGO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Killer, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have all of these on vinyl. They all are recorded pretty well. On disc though, the Greatest Hits is compressed, but Two Lane Highway sounds pretty good to me. Live Takin' The Stage is excellent on vinyl. It used to be a tough find on CD. I see Amazon has it for $15.77 for a single disc. Of course, it was a double album. Not a bad price. I wonder if anyone has it and can comment on sound?

2. I have it (the Floating World release) and it has a nice high dynamic range and sounds good overall. Apparently there were some edits made from what was originally released on vinyl (stage banter?, not really sure) but all the songs sound complete to me.

Todd W. likes this.
  3. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thanks Todd. I didn't know that. Will have to check that one out. I'm not a huge Little Feat fan but do have a few of their titles.

Keith todaro and Todd W. like this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

At one time Curtis Wright was with PPL. Does anyone know if their are any latter day recordings that include Wright?

5. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

Yes, the CD All In Good Time was recorded by the line-up that included Curtis Wright.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Todd,

Avoid the cd of Takin’ The Stage. It’s edited for cd. You’re far better off with the vinyl.

Todd W. likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

There are edits...stage banter edited out, applause faded early, etc. Best option is vinyl and doing a needledrop

8. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

Anybody have "Mementos 71-87" - rerecordings of many of their better songs with many of the original members contributing?
    IIRC, Fuller, Powell, Reilly were onboard; Vince Gill played some but didn't sing; Billy Hinds was MIA; John Call on a few tracks(?); and Tim (not Larry) Goshorn sang "Sun Shone Lightly". Overall some nicely performed and recorded tracks. Worth finding!

9. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

Followup - Fuller sings "I'm Almost Ready" & "Let me Love you Tonight", which were both originally Gill vocals, i believe, plus a couple leads on PPL songs that I'm not familiar with.
    He also sings new versions of "Falling in & out of love/Amie", "Boulder Skies" & "Early Morning Riser". It ends up being a "Fuller centered" collection, which is fine with me, especially if Larry Goshorn is largely missing, though I
    'm pretty sure I hear Larry on "Two lane Highway". George Powell sings "Country Song" and Mike Reilly does "Pickin' to beat the Devil".​
    For Fuller fans, make sure to find the Little Feat recording of "Voices on the Wind", a duet with Linda Ronstadt - simply a beautiful track.​

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  10. lazydawg58

Thanks. Curtis use to play in a very popular regional band here in NC, Super Grit Cowboy Band. He is from Pennsylvania I believe, not sure how he ended up in NC with Super Grit, but he was a major contributor in songwriting and lead vocals for them for several years in the early 80s. One of their albums features lots of his contributions. Then he moved to Nashville and had some success as a songwriter and put out a couple of albums. Besides PPL he was also in Shenandoah for a while. I think he had written one or more of their hits and when the lead singer left he replaced him for a while. I'm not sure what he is doing now.

carlwm likes this.
  11. lazydawg58

Anyone know what Craig Fuller is doing these days? I remember a few years ago he was living in the Pinehurst area of NC. I think his wife is a medical doctor there. I think I read something to the effect that he just didn't care for the touring and was happy to stay close to family. That was probably a decade ago. Anyone know what he is up to these days?

12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Those first two albums have been overdue for a remix. This set is almost perfect. It's missing "Sun Shone Lightly."

13. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

• How attractive is this for the owners of the vocalion sacd? Just adds two more albums right? Adds the two best albums according to AmG.
    I like the sacd for MC mix.

14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Many years ago, I bought the first two albums as a twofer on one CD (Acadia -- a label of Evangeline Records): https://smile.amazon.com/Pure-Prair...&sprefix=pure+prairie+league,+,aps,180&sr=1-7

Can't remember what I paid, but it was probably about half what the cheapest used copies are now commanding.

It seems like the country rock market back in the day (how's that for a vague reference?) only had room for one "country rock" band, and that was the Eagles. I don't doubt that the Eagles were a great band, but Pure Prairie League was -- pardon the pun -- in a league of its own, and deserved a much wider audience. I know . . . . who said life was fair?

ispace and Pete Puma like this.
  15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I thought he still toured with PPL. Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe 10 years have flown by that quickly since I've noticed.

clhboa likes this.
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Now, that is a band you really need to check out. Just find Waiting For Columbus, if you like it, dive in deeper. I would be happy to give you some of their better titles which is about all of their early stuff.

17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Musically the first two albums are superior IMHO.

18. pool_of_tears

Probably had to do with the fact that David Bowie and PPL were both on RCA at the time :)

19. I have this cd. It was my first PPL purchase. I like the sound, but s few a the more recent songs are not to my taste. Not a bad place to start with PPL.

20. Not an option for me. No turntable.

21. lazydawg58

I crate dig for vinyl a lot and Bustin' Out is readily available if anyone is looking. I've probably got 3 or 4 copies besides the one I bought back when it came out. Half the time I get a small collection around here from an individual it is in there along with ZZ Top La Grange and Willie's Redheaded Stranger.

Glenn coates and clhboa like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, great album!

23. PPL Runner

A friend sent me a CD by Super Grit Cowboy Band and I think there were others ,maybe, with and without Curtis. He also was part of Reba McIntire's backing band for a while. Not sure what he's doing today. I met him after a PPL show and he was a really nice person.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. PPL Runner

Fuller stills lives in NC last I heard. He was working on a solo album, but never finished it. Today he mostly tours with his son to promote his son's work. Since he left PPL he's appeared with them a few times when the band played the Cincinnati area and Powell has done the same.

25. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Me too. I have the first 4 & live on vinyl plus the the sacd and mementos and Bustin our on cd. Seems the BGO would add a digital copy of the s/t for me.

I stopped buying the later albums after first 4 studio. PPL doesnt seem to be a premium and one of those artists that sold well in the day it perhaps less now so familiar in the used racks now.

lazydawg58 likes this.