DCC Archive Q about the bass on Little Richard's "Georgia Peach" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Oct 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Is anyone here familiar with Little Richard? I just checked out Rhino's "The R&B Box: 30 Years of Rhythm & Blues" from the library, and I noticed a big difference with the song "The Girl Can't Help It" on the box and Fantasy's "The Georgia Peach" CD.

The bass really pops out on the Rhino box, and seems to have a lot more warmth. Did Fantasy just cut down on the bass? Or did Rhino boost it?

And while I'm at it, which Little Richard CD would be the best in terms of sound quality?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Little Walter DeVenne who has mastered a lot of CD's for Rhino, Collectables and other labels mastered a great sounding Little Richard compilation on Specialty that's still in print entitled "Essential Little Richard" back in 1985 with 20 well chosen tracks.

3. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Bradley, I'll check it out. Do you know anything about the other Collectables collections? I've been looking for some more Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, and Jackie Wilson, and it seems that a lot of CD's of theirs I come across are on that label. I've been a little hesitant to pick anything up, though.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have Collectables reissues of Burl Ives, Billy Joe Royal, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap and all of that product is well mastered but early CD's on that label were mastered from noisy vinyl. Buy the later CD's 1995 or so on. Nowadays, Special Markets divisions or Little Walter DeVenne do the mastering on most CD's on Collectables unlike their early CD's. In other words, if you come across Collectables CD's in used CD stores that sound like they are from vinyl, avoid those and get the Special Market releases of Collectables and those mastered by Little Walter DeVenne who does great mastering.

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

5. The first Rock and Roll song that I ever heard was Little Richard’s Good Golly Miss Molly in the late 1950’s. I was eight years old, and I couldn’t get enough of it. I played it over and over. My parents hated it and tried to convince me to listen to “How much is the doggie in the window” instead.

IMHO, Little Richard wrote the ground rules for R&R. The pounding beat, the simple chords, the lewd lyrics, the screaming and hollering, the outlandish clothes, the strange makeup, the high energy instrumental break, the emotional singing. I know that there are some other early R&R artists like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Bill Haley that had some of these features, but only Little Richard had them all. Without him, there would be no R&R as we know it.

I wish that Steve would do his magic on Little Richards songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.