Q for all you Moby Grape fans...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob LoVerde, Mar 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member Thread Starter

Hi all!

Anybody have a copy of Moby Grape's first LP on vinyl? Wanted to know if all the studio chatter that's on "Vintage: The Very Best Of Moby Grape" was on there back in '67.

Wouldn't think so, but I thought I'd ask...

Thanks!

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Nope. I want vintage so I can check it out!:)

3. Rob LoVerde

Thanks Ron!

"Vintage" is great! Excellent, all-inclusive collection of songs. Not sure as to whether all that top-end was on the original tapes, but it sounds pretty good...

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I read somewhere (an interview with the producer, I think) that Skip Spence and one of the other members sat in on the mixing sessions for the first album, and they insisted on that toppy, weird EQ over his objections.

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'm curious about the early vinyl presses of that 1st album, too. Those cardboard sounding drums drive me nuts when I listen to the Sony cd - I'd like Steve to remix that stuff, even though his preference is to not monkey around like he useta do! :D Anybody else wish the mix on that great lp was done differently??? The single mono mixes have a lot more wham, that's for sure...

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Whooo - howcome is Mr. P. Roducer on the Grape's s..tlist? I think we're all pretty aware of the troubles the Grape has had with their former manager, but why the sour grapes (I know, too easy - one too many Bullwinkle episodes for me :D ) towards Dave R.??? At least he had the sense to keep the masters all this time and not let said former manager have them...

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I can't remember the exact details, and I don't have time to go dig in my closet and find the issue of Discoveries with the info. But I remember it was money issues. Supposedly in the early 70s Rubinson was involved in the negotiations that led to Matthew Katz becoming the legal owner of the name "Moby Grape". Allegedly Rubinson negotiated a deal without the band's knowledge (at least according to them... he claims they consented to the deal) and he wound up pocketing a lump sum from Columbia that was supposed to be paid to the band. He denies this, and I have to stress I could be getting the precise details wrong so apologies if I am.

Aside from that, the band was always kind of annoyed at him for the liner notes he wrote for Moby Grape '69.

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

You're talking the Wow! LP right? Wanting to know if the studio chatter (talking betwixt tracks) is on it? I believe I have one, I'll try and give it a listen tomorrow. I'm off to a concert tonight (Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers). So I won't get time until then.:D

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Re: Q for all you Moby Grape fans...

What kind of music do they play? Sounds like a old black washboard jazz band from 1932.

10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

It is kind of like that. Blues / Jazz. Titles like One Hour Mama. Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You. Just down in Orange County, Steve.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sounds great. Have fun!!!

12. Rob LoVerde

Hi mcow1,

Not referring to "Wow" which is their second LP, but to the self-titled first LP. But it's awesome that you have a vinyl copy of "Wow". Great cover artwork on that...

13. The snare sounds kind of cardboard-y with sizzle on top on my
    original stereo pressing of the "Moby Grape" lp but the bass drum
    thunks just fine. Must be that cd mastering.

Bet the Sony cd sounds a boatload better than the San Francisco Sound
    one though. That is one of the five worst sounding cd's in my collection.

14. Rob LoVerde

Thomaz,

Does the San Francisco Sound CD have a mastering credit?

Thanks!

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

thomoz,

That's too bad. I don't have the Moby Grape on San Francisco Sound (though I've considered it), but I do have "It's a Beautiful Day" and this is a fine CD. Of course, the music is just plain outstanding. I'm a sucker for music from the psychedelic era. I had this on vinyl way back when (wonder where it went?) and the CD is very enjoyable.

Regards,
    Metralla

16. Ronflugelguy

Just got back from SALTY'S RECORD ATTIC with a mint 360 Sound Moby Grape "Truly Fine Citizen". Will report later!:D

17. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Rob,

Well, I'm not Thom, but I can confirm that it has no mastering credit whatsoever. The booklets on SFS releases are VERY bare bones, except for a few scans of other releases on the SFS label.

Jay

18. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Thom,

That SFS disc is a real dog. The Vintage collection may not be perfect, but it's a huge upgrade over the SFS release. And it's still available as an import!

Jay

19. Ronflugelguy

Alas, "Truly Fine Citizen" is kind of one of those albums that are made(and you can really tell) before a band finally breaks up. Just doesn't have the drive of the earlier releases. Still the copy was good and there are a couple of good songs on it.:(

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It was a classic contractual obligation album. The band was essentially already broken up, and had to regroup to make the album. By then Skip Spence was long gone, and Bob Mosley had joined the Marines, so they only had 3/5 of the band... and they barely had that, they had to twist Peter Lewis' arm to get him to participate. That being said, two of the four Lewis songs on the album are among the best things he ever did... really great stuff. But the rest of the album is below the standards of the first three records, for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.