DCC Archive Q for Steve H about Monk

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NoTinEar, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended Thread Starter

Steve did you do the mastering for the CD side of the riverside tenor sessions box set? And if so any general comments about the sound quality? Thanks so much for your time.

2. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

I feel Jazz, as a music form, gets short shrift in the Music World, as a whole, and it's nice to see genuine artists, especially like Monk...and not the Usual Suspects...get the work on their catalogs that they do.

Unfortunately, until recently, this has been only reserved by Music Companies, outside of the US, until SONY and VERVE got off of their butts. Collectibles get some points,because they are at least digging deep into the catalog histories of other labels.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host

I've never done any Monk. I didn't like the sound of most of the tapes back then...

4. GregM

GregM Ready to cross that fine line

Steve, when you say "back then" are you referring to the old WOR recordings made in '47, '51 and '52 or are you referring to Columbia mid-late '60s recordings, or some point in between. There were a variety of tapes and I can't imagine you wouldn't like the sound of any of them. For example, do the tapes in Monk's OJC period sound much different than the Miles or Trane that you have worked on? All were Van Gelder recordings from the same era.

5. Steve Hoffman

Greg,

What I was trying to say, was that "back then" in 1993, I didn't like the sound of the famous Monk OJC tapes. None of the tapes I previewed were recorded by Van Gelder. Most were done at my two least favorite bottom of the heap studios in New York (nameless here). Why Riverside used the cheapest of the cheap is obvious; saving money. I guess they weren't too hip to the fact that 10% distortion on a master tape is not exactly musical...

Great music, though...

6. GregM

Great music indeed. And you're right--Van Gelder didn't record the Riverside stuff. Jack Higgins and Ray Fowler recorded those. Sorry 'bout that.

7. Steve Hoffman

LOL!

Oh well, I should have learned that not naming names is pointless here.

Yes, my two least favorite New York engineers. The worst one-two punch in jazz.

The months I spent trying to salvage some music from Bill Evans Trio "Portrait In Jazz" and Wes Montgomery "So Much Jazz" master tapes gave me cold feet for attempting to do any more Plaza Sound recorded tapes. And Reeves Sound Studios? Even worse, eh?

Ah well, can't change history... :(

8. NoTinEar

Thanks for the reply Steve your info is appreaciated.

9. Matt

Matt New Member

Steve,

If DCC ever does anymore jazz discs, how about "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section"? It would be nice to have to go with the other Pepper disc you did featuring the same rhythm section. :)

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

10. GregM

Good choice, but I think DCC cannot afford to do more jazz reissues. Too bad, Intensity (Art Pepper) was one of my most recent DCC purchases and it's a great one.

11. Paul C.

Paul C. Active Member

BTW, I see that Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section is coming out on DVD-A in Japan....

12. NoTinEar

Camarillo,

That title is available as an XRCD and sounds outstanding compared to any other version on cd at this time. Totally worth the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.