Q magazine closes...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mretrain, Jul 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Were Depeche Mode ever on the cover?

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Memory tells me yes....sometime in the 90s....either 93 or 97?

EG.

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

And yes....once! Right towards the end of the 10s...

[​IMG]
    Dear me, some of those covers (well ALL of those covers) post-2000 are a bloody nightmare of design.

And they gave Mumford & Sons THREE front covers.

EG.

Man at C&A and Binni like this.
  4. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

only if she lit it. It would be a 4 if not !

5. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

They clearly weren´t very fond of them. I remember being so surprised to learn that Violator (or any album from DM) was nowhere to be seen on that list:
    [​IMG]
    June, 2000

Eric_Generic likes this.
  6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

They were also on the cover (in name only, along the top) in an issue from 1993, which is probably what I was thinking of. Some of the acts chosen for the covers in later years were..........interesting.

EG.

Binni likes this.
  7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I wrote a handful of reviews for Q, visiting the cramped, rather unimpressive office off Oxford Street in London and collecting the review copy, on compact cassette, from the Reviews Editor, John Aizlewood. They were kept in a metal office cabinet that I suspect was full of albums that were a low priority for review. I remember being admonished not to give any information to representatives of the record companies if they tried to contact me.

I had never read Melody Maker or NME while The Face had too little music in it to be regarded as a music magazine. I remember Q being a breath of fresh air when it launched and I certainly followed it within a few issues of launch. (I may even have an issue #1 somewhere, but I doubt it.) They had some great multi-artist interviews, such as one with Mark Knopfler & Randy Newman (the headline was something like “Mark sells more in this hotel than I sell in the entire country”) and another with Kate Bush, Björk and P. J. Harvey. It's been decades since I read it, though: my affections transferred to Mojo & Uncut which seemed to match better with my musical interests.

8. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I didn't start reading the Brit mags until the late 90s. I was blown away by how much more content they had.

It was 1997, to me MOJO was the gold standard and Q was a bit trashy. Later on upstart UNCUT seem provocative for the sake of being provocative.....but all three were worthwhile and blew the US mags out of the water.

I tended to agree with MOJOs take the most. I had to hold my nose with the occasional smug, petty "unironic American" swipes found in all three mags. UNCUT having a focus on flim made them less likely to bash us yanks.

Of course no magazine is immune from giving us takes that haven't aged well.
    The site that picks apart 1000s of Rolling Stone reviews is absolute genius (I tend to share the guy's tastes).

mozz likes this.
  9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wonder if they're any of the ones I'm looking back through in my list of 100!

EG.

10. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

And I don’t think you’re talking about constantly catching a cold with that ‘sniff’!

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think he came close with Wandering Spirit. But it seems Mick is just too fond of jumping on the latest bandwagon - stuff that will age - and sometimes lacks good sense when it comes to arrangements or production. It is strange, he's the guy who wrote Brown Sugar.

12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Yeha, and isn’t it a contradiction that Jagger had had the same hair style for 60 years? Ha.

DTK likes this.
  13. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

RIP Q.

I read Mojo & Record Collector each month but it's been many years since I've read Q.

Nonetheless the loss of any music mag is unfortunate.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

It was Tori Amos not Kate Bush in the interview with Björk and P. J. Harvey. I seem to remember they were all friends before the interview (?).

15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And why not, it suits him.
    At least we didn't have a 50 year old Jagger with a bright dyed red Mohican a la David Bowie.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Can I somewhere see all the covers from the 90’s?

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

MoonPanda, Stone Turntable and Binni like this.
  18. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I always remember that hot picture of Sophie B Hawkins topless!

Eric_Generic and DTK like this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I always remember the Q review of Guns 'N Roses' "Use Your Illusion" albums in 1991. The reviewer thought they were pretty great but with the caveat that the he was offended by the profanity in the lyrics... Back then it was hysterical, in these times when everyone if a self-appointed pillar of morality it would just be normal and just depressing.

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I still love the sticker on the front of the CD which says something to the effect of "this album contains bad language so if you're offended you can f**k off"...

EG.

LivingForever, bob60 and DTK like this.
  21. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Q started at just the right time for me-I had been a regular reader of Sounds since my mid-teens, but was looking for something a little more in-depth, so it fit the bill. I read it regularly until I moved to the US in the mid-90's, and continued to pick it up any time I saw it. Now I'm an old dude I read Record Collector.

Stone Turntable and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

So many great cover lines:

David Gilmour: “Don’t mention The Wall!”

Madonna: “‘Grateful Dead? Yuk!‘”

Keith Richards: “It’s Alive!”

Robert Smith: “How did this get to be a superstar?”

bob60 and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

He left it far too late to launch a solo career and he seemed unsure what audience to pitch himself at.

I remember the release of the She’s The Boss album and being somewhat bemused. If you were a teenager in the 80s, Mick Jagger was an old man. You didn’t want to hear an old man doing chart music (even though that hasn’t stopped many others).

bob60 and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I stand corrected! It just goes to show how good Tori's impression of Kate had become ...

25. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Apart from Depeche Mode not appearing on it, it is a very good list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.