Q magazine closes...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mretrain, Jul 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well that's too bad. Fingers crossed that Prog magazine manages to keep going. It's the only music mag I buy every month.

2. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

The Vines first album was, and still is, brilliant. But the NME went overboard even by their standards, I remember a reader letter that said they ought to rename themselves the Vines fanclub newsletter.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  3. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Is any of it on RocksBackPages?

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don’t know. But I’m sure Q had their own website with archive features and reviews back in the day.

5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

DaveJ and sharedon like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The pandemic just accelerated what was already happening in print media. I would have been surprised if Q had last 5 more years.

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

A convenient excuse......

MrGrumpy and Chilli like this.
  8. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

'Poring', not "pouring."

:)

Groovy likes this.
  9. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

While Covid may have been the final straw Q was in bad financial shape for years.

It became a gossip rag for UK pop stars and had probably overstayed its welcome anyway?

Fingers crossed that Mojo and Uncut weather this storm...

DaveJ likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Classic POP eighties themed mag is essentially the new Q.

11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Not a surprise. Shame.

12. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Sad to see. Had some very good critics work there over the years. But when I was following it. It was a little to slick for my tastes. I hope everybody involved lands on their feet.

13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I spent a fortune on this magazine in the 90's.

Carlox and PH416156 like this.
  14. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Too bad. I was waiting for that awesome cover story when they get the band back together.

You may say I'm a dreamer...

15. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I still get Uncut and Mojo here in the US. Expensive but worth it to me. Seems a lot of their ads were promoting upcoming festivals/tours...that has dried up so we will see if they survive.

16. Django

Django Forum Resident

I regularly bought Q from 1998 to around 2011. I still have them in boxes in the shed, but I haven't bought music mags in a long time.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Q ., has gone for music fans.
    But .. UK music fans are buying loads of prerecorded cassettes. 65.000 were sold in the first six months of 2020.

18. Yes it was great at first albeit with wonky design but them MOJO came along with wonderful art and design...and better writing. Also Mojo seemed a little me Brit-Sensationalistic than Q

19. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I loved the reader-submitted interview questions. The Bobby Gillespie and Ian Brown ones were insane

Flaky Bandit likes this.
  20. and every third issue after that :tiphat:

21. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

It doesn't surprise me at all that Q is closing. I've gathered the impression (from these forums) that a lot of younger music listeners don't really care what anyone else thinks about an album, so there's no need for music reviews. Meanwhile, the older readers either die off or have firmly established collections and know what they like, so they too don't need a magazine about new bands, or recycled articles about their favorite older bands which they probably know the stories of by heart anyways. I've always been a Mojo fan, but haven't read an issue any many years. Are they even still around?

Flaky Bandit and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Great looking back at the old issues from the 1980s. Discovered Blue Nile from Q’s 5 star review of Hats.

Eric_Generic and Timos like this.
  23. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I'm sorry to see any magazine go and its tragic that 2 are folding at the same time. It's a long time since I bought Q but I have been buying Mojo and Uncut recently. Without these magazines imo it's difficult to come across interesting new acts if you dont bother with streaming.....

24. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I bought Neil Young’s Unplugged on the strength of its 5-star review in Q - my first Neil Young album. I remember, the last few lines read “The only thing remaining, then, is to shoot the member of the audience who whoops incessantly throughout The Needle And The Damage Done. Such is the strength of this set, his guilt is likely to pursue him through the years.”

Great stuff.

bob60 and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. I never read it - maybe I had the wrong impression, but it struck me as glossy and superficial and only of interest to fans of superstar acts. Kind of like if Maxim was a music mag. Its supposed imitators seemed a bit more "with it".

onionmaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.