Q magazines "15 Albums Where Great Rock Acts Lost The Plot" (poll)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't agree with all the choices on this list (for example, I think Prince's Batman was an excellent album), and I'm sure they'll be others here that disagree with some of their choices too, nonetheless, I think it'll make for a fun poll.

You've got 3 votes.

2. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Prince, Michael Jackson, Lou Reed. At least out of the ones I've listened to.

3. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

The Lou Reed album wasn’t meant to be mainstream it’s more like Two Virgins and doesn’t belong on the list.

4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

For Metallica and Lou Reed Lulu takes the cake. I love De La Soul Is Dead.
    Lou knew what the was doing with Metal Machine Music (sort of). Some of these are just bad or boring albums. I think Neil had a reason to do Trans. I'm only voting for The Elder. I have no idea what they were going for there.

5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Kiss barely had a plot to begin with, Michael Jackson tried making Thriller 3 but the public had already moved on because by that time he was a freak in a side show, and Blondie lost the plot for about 17 years but luckily for them and us since "Maria" in 1999 they've redeemed themselves.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I quite like Self Portrait but I’d accept that it probably does belong on a list like this. I’ve only heard a handful of the others and some of those can be seen as mediocre or phoned in records but the artists involved almost certainly knew what they were doing but just didn’t care enough to make a proper fist of it.

Monster shouldn’t be here, though. It’s not REM’s best album but it’s a competent sets of songs and mostly succeeds as a reinvention. I haven’t heard any of their subsequent records (I was at university for NAIH and Up, and preferred to spend my money on beer; by the time I’d entered the world of work, I’d lost interest in them), but from what I understand, they produced several more fitting candidates.

7. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

IMHO, "losing the plot" has nothing to do with whether an artist is going for mainstream or not, it's about whether the creative progression is a good one or a bad one.

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

the Stones, for sure. The Clash, yes. I'll go with Neil young also.

slashdot87 and Mezzer like this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Michael Jackson's Invincible isn't an album so much as it's a desperate cry to be relevant.

I voted for Michael, Prince, and Metallica.

10. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I like Mojo and Q Magazine.

However, I do have problem with the bashing Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request" seems to get. In my opinion a great experimental album just a little weak in the songwriting department as compared to what the they did later.

Yeah it was late in the game for psychedelic rock but no one mentions for example how the majority of blues rock albums in 1969 were kind of late in the game as well. My pick was Michael Jackson Invisible a very sad downhill in my opinion.

11. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I think The Clash is the standout from that list. They should never have made the album.

Monster is one of my favourite REM albums.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Haven't heard too many of those.

However, The Elder, Hot Space & the Floyd album are excellent.

BrentB likes this.
  13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Kiss, Neil, and Metallica.

REM Monster is my favorite album by them.

trumpet sounds, Dodoz and Apesbrain like this.
  14. Sondek

I've always got the impression that Mojo in particular is more down to earth than the likes of Rolling Stone Magazine and NME.

NYSPORTSFAN likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Stones had already lost the plot as far back as Aftermath, trying to be like The Beatles. TSMR was the logical progression of that pursuit but for me, they pulled it off brilliantly. I play it far more often than Pepper or Piper.

16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I love the Stones album. It's probably in my top 5 of all their albums. I'll take Satanic Majesties over anything post Exile. Self Portrait is also misunderstood. Another Self Portrait puts that album in a better light. I'm not familiar with all the albums on the list but I'm guessing they each have something to offer for their fans. It seems these are mainly albums that take a risk and do something different. All the albums I know have at least a song or two that didn't lose the plot. Cut the Crap has This is England, which I highly enjoy. I'll vote for the Metallica album.

Tristero likes this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Q Magazine... nearly a laugh, but really a cry.

18. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

It's tricky, because who defines what "the plot" is? Neil Young has scarcely followed any conventional career arc if you actually play his albums in order of release... and it's significant that Bowie didn't make the list. In terms of audience expectations at the time, is Low all that different to Trans? And imagine being a 1969 Man of Words/Space Oddity fan, breathlessly looking forward to his next album, and being handed Man Who Sold the World? There's a plot that was totally "lost," even if hindsight did vindicate it after a couple of years.

I agree with everyone who supports Lou Reed's decision to release MMM, and I would argue in favor of the Dylan, Kinks and Pink Floyd as well... MLoR was their "Trick of the Tail," but I see Genesis didn't get on the list either.

All that said, Queen, Kiss and the Clash got my vote, with Blondie close behind. The others, I don't think I've even heard them, so I'll just keep quiet.

BlueSpeedway and jdrueke like this.
  19. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

That's crazy talk to me! I think the Stones become the Stones starting with Aftermath. It's the first album where they write all the material. Aftermath-Exile is one of the greatest album runs in history, and if you are being generous you can extend the run through Tattoo you.

Dave Hoos and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Monster (REM) and Batman (Prince) shouldn’t be on this list. Nor should Satanic Majesty’s - the Stones hadn’t lost the plot, they were just trying to make their psychedelic equivalent of Sgt Pepper.

kevimetal likes this.
  21. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

It's quite telling that the albums they picked seem to be that artist's foray into either intintionally challenging material (Metal Machine Music, Self Portrait & Trans), notoriously difficult albums (St. Anger, Preservation Act 2 & perhaps even Their Satanic Majesties Request) artists deviating from their standard formula (Monster, De La Soul Is Dead) or albums that just weren't bad but not what the public wanted from the artist at the time (Hot Space, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Batman). Aside from that Cut The Crap sucked big time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Satanic is a fantastic album. I'm actually a bit surprised to see it here, as I thought it had undergone something of a critical reevaluation in recent years.

23. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I don't understand why De La Soul or Prince are on this list. Bat Dance was a bit of a goof but the rest of that album is fantastic. For De La Soul, I'm really at a loss. They took what they did on their debut and just expanded and grew.

Can you post a link to the article?

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I love Satanic...I don’t really agree with any of these. I might have put Elton John’s Victim Of Love on a list like that at one point, decades ago, but I have come around to it.

25. Sondek

I got it from here. You'll have to scroll down to find it.

Rocklist.net...Q - 150 Rock Lists

jdrueke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.