Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

OK... here it is folks..

"
    it's really very simple.
    There are 2 or 3 independent distributors who are not ingested yet.
    They handle dozens of labels each, tens of thousands of albums.

The ingestion of the millions of tracks takes weeks of server time!

It is happening starting next week.

It is very unlikely that there will be significant gaps once all this repertoire is online. "

- Dan from Qobuz

There you go. From the man himself.

2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I appreciate that very much. Thank you for passing along my comments.

I had David Craft, European Product Manager, as well as Sebastien, attempting to help me out with some severe issues relating to the Windows app running on Windows 10 Professional going as far back as September of last year. I will not raise my own personal issues with the desktop app here; let's just say it needs work and leave it at that. Fortunately, I was able to enjoy the last couple of weeks of my trial via Roon.

I am a huge fan of their service and am pulling for them. I will continue to check in as things progress. I think most folks will be patient. Thanks for reaching out to Dan, State!

3. StateOfTheArt

Like I said before - US and EU tastes in music are drastically different. Where are you guys seeing the gaps the most?

4. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

It's pretty noticable across all genres if you're doing a direct comparison between Qobuz and Spotify, or one of the other services. I'm giving them benefit of the doubt that they'll fill it in soon. I just keep a subscription to YouTube Premium (includes YouTube Music and Google Play) to cover the rest for now.

5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Oh geez, State. Hmmm...I mean, I did spend the better part of a couple of days comparing bands from both my personal collection and my streaming favorites, where I have mirrored everything I own, plus a good deal more.

I'll have to think after work to go back for particular examples, but, it's easy to see with Roon and the "Versions" tab, where I could see my 3-4 copies of a great record that I might own, followed by the Tidal versions, followed by Qobuz. If you look at a particular artist, Roon puts badges on an album to indicate where the album can be found, Tidal/Qobuz or both. There are far more Qobuz badges missing than Tidal right now. Camel is one band I can think of. There are many more. I know that doesn't help anyone. Give me time.

6. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

A random letter in the alphabet after a very brief & cursory check. Albums missing from Blind Willie McTell, Black Flag, and Between the Buried & Me. What a cross-section of talent!

It's not artists/bands I find lacking in Qobuz right now, it's depth of discography. I'm certain things will improve in short order.

StateOfTheArt and 500Homeruns like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The huge whole among major artists and labels involving jazz music of the last 30 years is my problem. None of the Hathut related labels -- a Swiss, not US label btw -- so lots of missing material from major artists like Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton, Steve Lacy, Myra Melford, Joe McPhee. Nothing from the Firehouse 12 label which has much of the major work of a lot of the top contemporary jazz artists -- Mary Halvorson, Tyshawn Sorrey, etc. Nothing from the Clean Feed label -- a Portuguese not US label btw -- so missing new works from well known contemporary jazz artists like Tony Malaby and Kris Davis. Nothing from trumpeter Dave Douglas' Greenleaf label. All this stuff is available on Spotify and Tidal. Basically, I use streaming to keep up with new releases in the genre's I'm most interested in, and jazz is chief among those, and Qobuz is fatally lacking in major material in new and contemporary jazz that the other platforms have (Qobuz does have a deeper catalog of Soul Note/Black Saint recordings than Tidal does, in that regard Qobuz is competitive with Spotify, but in these other areas, nothing at all).

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I keep checking the Qobuz library to see, but meanwhile I'm not going to pay for the music that someday I might be able to listen to on the platform. I'll be waiting before thinking about reactivating my subscription.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  9. StateOfTheArt

Well - I will see what I can do. Again, I'm not on the payroll. Really just a concerned consumer who has a few contacts in that world. I think companies like this are helping to improve the loudness wars, and are helping the push for better mastering. If the consensus is we want better mastering, it doesn't matter if its 16/44.1, it'll sound great. I think Tidal putting additional steps in a signal, or folds, isn't progressive. My opinion, but also not trying to get the thread into a MQA/PCM debate. But, lets face it, that is what Tidal represents and implements currently.

oneway23 and Sandinista like this.
  10. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I don't think MQA is progressive for the industry, either. Fortunately, I can elect to ignore it and still have access to every 16/44 album they offer.

ClassicalCD and StateOfTheArt like this.
  11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Many of the independent labels I usually listen to are currently absent from Qobuz (Thirty Tigers, Fat Wreck). Mostly Americana and Punk.

12. StateOfTheArt

OK... so Americana, Punk, and contemporary Jazz thus far. I'm actually pushing for the 24/44.1 files for the Beatles to be included myself.

britt2001b and 500Homeruns like this.
  13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

From the USB Apple?? YES!

14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I agree with you, and I hated canceling QB, but the albums are just not there yet.

500Homeruns likes this.
  15. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

I made the switch and I'm happy. MQA is just too divisive and confusing, and I had no interest in supporting it any further (even indirectly). Going through my list, about 10% of my Tidal library is not available on Qobuz. Fortunately, I've got high bitrate MP3's for about half of those, so the amount of pre-switch music I'm currently missing right now is less than 5% (with all of those available of Google Play Music, which I am also subscribed to).

16. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

[I posted this on the Tidal vs Qobuz thread as well, so forgive the repeat]

Question for anyone who knows:

If all I am interested in is CD-quality streaming (1411 kbps, 16-bit, 44.1kHz) on my iPhone with a nice pair of Grado headphones, and both Tidal Hifi and Qobuz Hifi cost the same $20 per month, what are the differences in the services? Hi-Res is not on my radar at the moment.

Do these services sound different? Should they sound different? Do either of them do gapless playback?

So far the only difference that’s significant to me is that Godspeed You Black Emperor’s best album (Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven) is currently unavailable on Qobuz. That's a bit of a bummer.

17. StateOfTheArt

I think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference. I think it would come down to the UI and what is easier to use for you. I'm not entirely sure if even CD files are used with MQA encoding to reduce bandwidth. I would call look it up or contact tidal.

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's not just contemporary jazz either. Like today I was listening to the classic UK/South African early '70s jazz debut of Chris Macgregor's Brotherhood of Breath on Tidal. I checked, it's not on Qobuz. And then apropos a conversation on another thread about jazz in 1969 I went to listen to Archie Shepp's Yasmina, a Black Woman -- it's on Spotify and Tidal but not Qobuz, similarly Don Cherry's Mu, in fact it looks like all those classic jazz recordings of Americans in France in '69 that were originally on the BYG Actuel on Cherry, Shepp, Art Ensemble, etc are MIA on Qobuz. While I was on a Shepp kick I looked for his classic mid-'70s live album Montreux One, it's up on Tidal but not on Qobuz (it's not on Spotify either). The jazz holes on the Qobuz library are gaping compared to the competition.

19. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I’ve been satisfied with the content but I’m experiencing constant dropouts that make Quboz unlistenable.
    Both on the Quboz app on my iPhone and running Quboz through Logitech Media I get dropouts every few seconds.

20. StateOfTheArt

I'm not support, but maybe I can offer some help to you. It's most likely your Wi-fi connection. Most people who experience this, it isn't on the service side of things. I would reset your router, and if that doesn't help change the channel which you're on. If all else fails, use a wired ethernet connection to stream.

One thing to note, iPhone's (with Tidal, Qobuz, audio in general) are only capable of 24/48khz audio. So, I would find a different transport if possible.

21. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

I got a message from "Windows Defender" just now...

Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of Qobuz on all public and private networks
    Name: Qobuz
    Publisher: Qobuz
    Path: C:\users\treehouse\appdata\local\qobuz\app-5.0.3-b013\qobuz.exe

Any other Windows users get this? Just want to make sure that it is legit. Thanks!

22. StateOfTheArt

Looks legit - run the path through AVG or Malwarebites. See if anything comes up. I think it's looking for access their server from your IP.

cdgenarian likes this.
  23. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Ok, great! Thanks for your reply.

Edit: I now have an updated Qobuz desktop app, so it is good to know that Qobuz is working on making the app better for Windows users.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  24. StateOfTheArt

You're welcome. Welcome to having the best streaming service you'll ever hear.
    May I suggest Muddy Waters Folk Singer? It's the blackest I have ever heard any background.

Patrick Cleasby and cdgenarian like this.
  25. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Disappointing service from Qobuz. I signed up for the 1 free month and at the end of the month they billed me for another month without asking if I want to continue. I contacted them and quit, opted out. I used it for 2 days before quitting so I have to pay the full month. I cannot quit and pay for the 2 days. I am stuck with the full month even though I never agreed to a subscription, just the 1 month trial.