Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Stereosound

Good interview with KEF:

JorgeGvb likes this.
  3. Stereosound

Good conversation with Auralic:

JorgeGvb likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've been trying Qobuz in place of Tidal for a couple of weeks now. My preference from Qobuz I like the ability to purchase the downloads from the site I am sampling the music. For Tidal I prefer its mechanism for new music each week and especially the Explore by Genre feature. If this is available in Qobuz I can't find it or am overlooking it. Also I was paying $9.99 per month for Tidal for there basic layer as I wasn't into paying $19.99 for better quality streaming just to discover music. I am paying $12.99 for Qobuz and have CD quality streaming.

Kristofa, ClassicalCD and hifisoup like this.
  5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I haven't read the whole so apologies if this has been mentioned already.
    I am a Qobuz streaming subscriber and I am getting fed up with them.
    For inexplicable reasons any track that is not available to buy individually is also not available to stream. This means lots of incomplete albums in their catalogue.
    The latest Big Big Train live album is missing 3 tracks because of this.
    I have a yearly subscription and I will not renew it if they don't fix this problem.

6. Stereosound

Sounds like something you’d have to contact the band/label about.

7. Stereosound

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

TIDAL has 12 tracks from Empire (Live) available to stream, Apple Music is the same + option to purchase. I would check with Qobuz to find out why tracks are missing.

9. Music Geek

I contacted Qobuz and they came back with some generic answer that they are aware of the problem and they are looking at a solution.
    Actually I don't think it's really a problem, it's a choice they have made so that their download business is not completely cannibalised by streaming. For certain albums they don't allow streaming of tracks longer than 10 minutes, but there is no technical reason to do so, given that many albums with long tracks are fully available.

This annoyance has pushed me to start a 3 month trial with Spotify and I must say that although they don't offer hi-res streaming and apparently artists get a smaller share than on any other streaming service, their catalogue is the best and their app is the best. I will probably switch to Spotify once my Qobuz subscription expires.

10. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

This comment by you is seriously going to upset @Stereosound

11. Music Geek

Well, I am seriously upset about Qobuz. If @Stereosound has a business connection with Qobuz and is suggesting I should contact a band about things missing in the Qobuz catalogue then good luck to Qobuz.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    500Homeruns likes this.
  12. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

If you want to really get him, just post that you are going to try Tidal and the reason is that you like MQA :biglaugh:

walrus likes this.
  13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I’ve been with Spotify for somewhere around 10 years. I don’t particularly like the service and I’ve been hoping for Apple and Tidal to surpass them for a long time, but their streaming platform is lightyears beyond Qobuz. Qobuz, conceptually, is something I like very much, but they strike me more as something for people with a lot of disposable income who had virtually zero exposure to any other streaming platform. Their desktop app is lousy, there’s many holes in the catalog, and the hi-res streaming option isn’t enough to justify an argument that they’re better than Spotify (or Apple Music for that matter). And while I think you’re right that the choice to omit tracks from streaming is meant to encourage purchases of music, the management of their business is their problem, not mine.

14. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

You’re not the only one. I’ve used them all. While Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer and Amazon HD all sound better, their UI and discovery pale in comparison to Spotify. I generally keep an active Spotify sub for mobile, car and Sonos use. I jump around with the others for critical use depending on what my interests are at the time.

As far as Qobuz is concerned, I don’t like being treated like a beta tester, partner, employee or volunteer. I’m a customer. I prefer to use a service that treats me like one. I’m just not that interested in helping them succeed. They will or won’t without my input.

15. Music Geek

Qobuz has its pros but Spotify has the advantage of Spotify Connect, a very reliable protocol natively supported by many appliances; also both PC and Android apps are very well done. Qobuz relies on Chromecast (at least in my configuration) which is less robust, it doesn't have a PC app and the Android app is rather poor (e.g. it doesn't even have a widget).

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

completely agree, and that’s mostly why I dislike their desktop app so much. the mobile app is fine and can use airplay, but there are too many areas within their service where it seems like it’s just not been thought out to a point that suggests I should even consider giving them money.

Waterloo17 likes this.
  17. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

That’s the biggest issue I have with Qobuz. I’d love nothing more than to subscribe to the family plan and get at least the same basic functionality as every other streaming service. CarPlay that works without having to download it to my phone first would be great. Also, too many albums missing from their catalog. I’d be willing to pay for it if it could serve as my one and only streaming service.

18. Stereosound

What makes you think that?

19. Stereosound

That is more likely.

20. Stereosound

Then you should also vote here for this: [Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44... - The Spotify Community

21. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

New update of Qobuz app for iOS indicates bug fixes for Chromecast. Anyone test this?

22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Qobuz is a fairly young company, expanding their library and upgrading the platform as we speak

23. Stereosound

Young to the USA. Otherwise Qobuz has been around since 2007. They have recently invested money into growing including new territories and yes they are working on upgrading the platform.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. Stereosound

25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm personally pretty frustrated with these guys at Qobuz in terms of their subscription service. I have been using Tidal to review new music for quite some time. However I was buying a lot of downloads from Qobuz and was simply thinking it might be easier just to review the music there and buy there. I signed up for the monthly service...I thought. At the beginning of this week I saw a Paypal charge for the annual subscription rate of $149.99 not the $12.49 per month subscription I thought I committed to. It turns out I made a mistake that the $12.49 I signed up with was a one month trial and then converted to the annual subscription model. I should have signed up for the $14.99 monthly but didn't notice that when I registered. Within there minutes I was contacting them about the mistake and wanted to cancel the annual. Anyways after a few back and forth communications basically I was told tough ****, no refunds.

BOO QOBUZ!!!!