Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Which track is missing for you? I’m able to access all 9 tracks on Wild Planet.

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I can access them all, too.

3. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Could it be that it is the record companies that are withholding the one track from Qobuz to pump up the download income?

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Why only on Qobuz?

There are some cases where songs are not available on any streaming service, e.g. if they are from broadcasts and the broadcaster has licenced the recording only for physical release, but Qobuz (at least in the UK) has loads of other missing tracks that are available on other streaming services.

Typically on Qobuz tracks longer than 10 minutes:
    - can only be purchased and downloaded as part of a full album
    - are not available to stream

I gave up on Qobuz when the latest Big Big Train album came out. All long tracks were missing while everything was available on Spotify. At that point I uninstalled the app.

5. Music Geek

The Qobuz catalogue is not the same in all countries. It could be that this problem is less severe in the US. Honestly the UK catalogue is shameful.

6. APH

APH Forum Resident

Private Idaho

[​IMG]

7. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I think this is it. Hasn’t been an issue for me andIm in the US.

8. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Yeah, must be different from country to country. The new Grateful Dead St. @ Louis has a 13 minute cut, The Other One, for streaming and other Dead live sets are like that.

9. Music Geek

I am replying to my own post because I want to add one thing that is actually good with Qobuz and not available with the other streaming services that I have tried: some labels provide album booklets in PDF format (e.g. ECM) and they can be downloaded with the Qobuz app. Spotify doesn't have this feature and I miss it.

Taxman and drivingfrog like this.
  10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

None of that's typical of the Qobuz US library. There are some titles and some labels that don't make albums or sometimes just not complete albums, available for streaming, and in those cases -- where there are available for download via Qobuz -- there will be sometimes a teaser only available on the stream. But nothing having do with with length or anything like that. I don't know anything about Big Big Train, but I just looked the band up on Qobuz -- is Common Ground the band's most recent album release? It's streaming in full on Qobuz in the US. I think this is more about Qobuz's licensing deals in the UK than anything else. Qobuz's library in the US was pretty woeful when it first launched here. I did a trial and dropped it. But returned when the library improved. Now I find relatively few gaps in the music I want to hear unless it's music that's not streaming anywhere at all.

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

Qobuz has a playlist called The Greatest Jazz Piano Players. The list doesn’t contain any Bill Evans tracks. That’s absurd.

A few of their other playlists are also slanted.

After the 3 month free trial- Qobuz is history for me. Or sooner.

12. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Check again: With a Song in My Heart The playlist credits Monty Budwig so that is probably why you missed it.

13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Why would you choose to listen to a playlist that doesn't reflect what you want to hear? There's a huge number of Bill Evans albums on the service. You can listen to those if you want to hear Bill Evans.

I have to say I'm a subscriber to 3 music streaming services ans I've never listened to a programmed playlist on any of them.

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Really glad to hear that.

You miss the point. I'm letting people know how dumb Qobuz must be. Any service with a playlist that is titled "The Greatest Jazz Piano Players" without a Bill Evans song on it was put together by people with NO clue. And there are many other playlist they have that are quite tainted in an obvious way.

I didn't "choose to listen to it". I saw it, looked at the list of songs, saw how bad it was, and listened to something else.

MikeF63 likes this.
  15. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

You didn’t look carefully enough: it does have a Bill Evans track. See my post above.

chervokas likes this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see that now - they put the wrong name in as you say.

They have some really bad selections on many playlists. Too many to mention. A slanted view it appears.

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually Qobuz's content -- the articles and information are good. Much better than anything of the sort I've seen from Tidal or Spotify or Deezer. I don't know how they program playlist or if they're paid for. But I'm also not sure that most consumers take a commercial playlist as a critical information that really tells you meaningful critical content aboutnthe history of a genre. Honestly when the local classic rock station counts down the 100 greatest rock songs on a holiday weekend, do you treat that as historically important and accurate critical information?

ILovethebassclarinet and Taxman like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Qobuz must think playlists are important since they have hundreds available on the app.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

And some people think that ball games "are the most important things in the world," but that's not an assessment that I share, though if someone else enjoys them, 'that's just fine with me,' I just won't be paying any attention...

20. rockphotog

rockphotog If I Could Only Remember My Name

Yeah, playlists are just a cruel method to get us even more addicted to music and never stop playing it.

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

That’s great . However, how you as an individual feels about playlists has nothing to do with the fact that Qobuz has hundreds of them on their app for their users. So they obviously think their users want them.

And many of them are quite slanted in content.

22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

There isn't yet such a thing as all-inclusive, zone-free, universal licensing.

In the U.S. (where I am at the moment) there seems to be far less exclusion than in some countries in Europe and Oceania, according to those I have corresponded with.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Lots of people are interested in lots of things that I'm not, but generally, I don't find that to be a problem for myself, as long as "their thing" isn't attacking me...

24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Qobuz users can create unlimited playlists, with the option to either keep them private or make them publicly accessible to other users.

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Believe it or not, the Jazz Instrumentals Radio "station" on Pandora is fantastic, as is the Vince Guaraldi Radio "station". Both feature plenty of Bill Evans.