Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

2. Bon Scott

Bon Scott Well-Known Member

Thanks. Is there an answer in that 53-page thread, or are you suggesting I post this problem in it? I looked through the last few pages of that thread and saw one mention of this problem. But the only answer seemed to be you have to sign up for a plan, and I, like the person who reported the problem in that other thread, have done so.

3. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

David Solomon of Qobuz has started a FB page called StreamingMusicMatters, FYI.

4. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Is there a way to save the biographical entries listed under "Panoramas"?

5. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I just witnessed the same "30 second" issue you described.

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think there are titles on Qobuz that are just samples, the albums aren't actually streaming, but 30-second teasers of songs are. Or some songs are streaming in full, some just in 30-second teasers. I think the tracks that are only teaser tracks have their titles in gray, not black, but early on in my beta testing it wasn't so obvious. Like I was excited to see they had titles from Pi Recordings and I went to stream a Henry Threadgill album, but it was just 30-second teasers. Pi isn't on any other streaming platform, so clearly this was just a kind of promo teaser thing. Similarly I was excited to see that the Anthony Braxton Series F solo album was on Qobuz, but only some of the tracks are streaming in full, some are just 30-second teasers, and I think all of those teasers are only in 320 kbps resolution. But none of that was very apparent from just searching for the artists or the titles, only having the experience of these 30-seconds followed by jump cuts, did I realized what was going on.

Grant likes this.
  7. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

Qobuz has stated on other forums they are still in the process of obtaining licenses for content to be streamed in US and it may take a few months for their catalog to be complete.

Galley and Grant like this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

For me that will likely mean cancelling my subscription after a month, and checking back a couple of months from now to see if their library has improved with respect to the music I'm interested in, vs. paying through the period during which they don't have much of the music in question.

Billy Infinity and btltez like this.
  9. Bon Scott

I guess the last few posts somewhat explain things, but the situation makes it hard to compare Qobuz and Tidal in terms of catalog, as I'm considering whether to switch to Qobuz. Thanks for your thoughts.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I subscribed to the streaming service, so I get the full songs/albums.

11. Grant

I'd definately switch to Qobuz. I've used both and the catalog is much larger on Qobuz.

12. Bon Scott

I feel like I've subscribed because I gave credit card info for when my one-month beta test period is over. Can you tell me if you get the full songs from the 24/192 version of Bob Dylan More Blood More Tracks, the 6 CD set version of that title? That's one I had the 30 second issue with.

13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Not for contemporary jazz. Huge holes in Qobuz compared to Tidal and Spotify. Holes I couldn't imagine living with -- catalogs of entire major jazz labels missing, artists with 10, 20, 30 albums on Tidal and Spotify have 1, 2, even zero on Qobuz.

Freebird and Grant like this.
  14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

There are still albums, even if you've subscribed, that are only up as teasers, like the Pi Recordings catalog.

15. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

The full 6-CD set doesn't stream anywhere, as far as I know. (Same for most of the more recent Bob bootleg series releases.) You can buy the full set from Qobuz, but it isn't available via the subscription no matter what you do.

16. Bon Scott

I did buy the full CD set, so I'm not that put out by lack of streaming other than I'd like to create some playlists from it without ripping from the discs. I suppose availability is a matter of time, maybe after all hard copies of the "limited release" have been sold.

17. I just bought the Conjure One album (Holoscenic) that was previously only available (in the US) as lossy download or vinyl.

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

7Digital, Beatport and Juno carry it as lossless as well :)
    Great album!

PanaPlasma and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  19. Grant

I think a possibility is that some licensees will not allow full streaming. It could also be a bug. I'm sure someone has reported it.

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, for example, I know Pi Recordings doesn't stream on any other platforms. But they appear to have the teasers up for their albums on Qobuz -- I know because I was surprised to see Pi's Henry Threadgill titles listed on Qobuz so I rushed to stream them, but, alas, just teasers. But, Qobuz is also selling downloads, so the teasers I guess also function perhaps as taste tester sample for stuff that may be available for download but not streaming.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    britt2001b and Grant like this.
  21. Grant

That's what i'm saying. Perhaps the company isn't getting a good streaming deal, so their best way of making any kind of money is to force the consumer to buy it. It's just like those albums that won't let you download individual tracks from.

22. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I think you're correct. This makes sense.

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Right. Pi doesn't stream. But it also doesn't have teasers up on the other platforms, which are not selling downloads, so it's not confusing. The material just doesn't show up in a search. The problem with the Qobuz interface is that it's not all that clear when you do a search or something and albums show up and you click through, which are available for streaming and which are just available in teaser form (nor, if they're selling downloads, to they really make a "click to buy if you like what you hear" very obvious either).

24. DuctTapeTheory

DuctTapeTheory Forum Resident

I'm curious to hear these hi-res tracks stream through my iPhone app with my new Audioquest Evergreen connects. If it sounds as good as my cds I will be willing to pay $25 a month. Streaming has been a convenience thing for me. I don't have a super hi-fi rig, so the benefit of hi-res might well be lost on my system. I'm currently streaming Nels Cline's Lovers at work on my headphones and it sounds good. "Lady Gabor" sounds much richer than my iTunes stream. I wonder if it will be more dimensional, deeper and present than the cd at home--which is a pretty good cd.
    It's a cool experiment.

25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can look through the 55 pages and see or post there anyway to see if you can get an answer. Just steering you in the right direction.