QOTSA Tangled in New Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

QOTSA Tangled in New Songs

Spring 2004 release eyed for next set

By Jolie Lash
    Rolling Stone

"This new stuff blows away Songs for the Deaf and any other record we've made," says Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme, currently on tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers but already prepping his band's next release. "It's almost like Deaf was the end of something and this is a whole new level. It's more simple. It's less complicated."

So far Queens have twenty-five songs to choose from for their fourth, as yet untitled effort, including "Skin on Skin," "Everybody Knows That You're Insane" and "Tangled Up in Plaid." "It's sort of about the cad and being the life of the party, but the wrong life at the wrong party," Homme says of the track. "It's kind of about raining on the parade a little bit, you know, infiltrating to destroy."

Homme will again produce his band's new material, most of which the quintet (which now includes drummer Joey Castillo) generated on the road. "This isn't Bon Jovi: 'We've seen a million faces and rocked them all,'" Homme quips. "There's all sorts of experiences that happen on the road that aren't like that line. We live out here, so it's our lives out here. We stopped thinking of it as we're going somewhere -- this is who we are. I've been on tour for about eleven years. So I feel more like a scientist collecting data."

Though the band had hoped to hit the studio in October, Homme says QOTSA are close to planning a major U.S. tour instead. Following the jaunt, the band will then seclude themselves in January to lay down tracks for the proposed spring 2004 release.

"I like to go and get isolated," Homme says. "There's a place called the Site where we did parts of our last record. It's about thirty miles from the nearest freeway [and] an hour outside of San Francisco. If you run out of smokes, you're ****ed. You have to smoke a salmon or something."

(May 16, 2003)

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I saw them this spring and they were truly one of the very best Rock bands I've seen in YEARS! They truly did rock my face off and the crowd wildly cheered. This band is tight, intellegent, powerful and very very brill.
    If this next one is all Josh says, I'll be standing in line on release day. This band deserves to be in the super-big-time!

3. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Thanks for the news!
    SONGS FOR THE DEAF (their third LP) was the first time I really noticed QOTSA, and WOW! What a great, great album (IMHO)!
    I can't wait to hear the new stuff!

FFF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.