Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Be patient. I got mine after 6 or 7 months, and all that have gotten theirs who've commented in the previous pages have stressed the same thing.
    Be patient and your turn on line will come. Mine did.

2. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

There. That's better. :laugh:

[​IMG]

pudgym, longdist01, RiRiIII and 6 others like this.
  3. Further

Further Forum Resident

Ok. My replacement discs finally arrived, 3 months to the day since I first contacted Dr. Rhino. They came complete with the covers, not just in separate white sleeves.

What I received is:

Chicago - (590044) 3.2.553946V2.F.2 03S

Chicago IX (Greatest Hits '69-'74) - (590040) 3.2.553946V2.FE.8 02S

So, what they sent me is the newest version available now (even newer than what is listed at discogs) and I checked them on my system and they are indeed, the correct ones with all stereo tracks in stereo, as they should be.

I'm so happy to finally have my set complete and grateful to the good Dr. for coming through on this one for me.

SteelyNJ, jeffreybh, SKean and 2 others like this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Coming late to this thread, but finally started listening to this box with CTA. Holy COW, it sounds FABULOUS! Whoever posted that the sound is tip-top since the tapes hadn't been touched for anything was sure correct by miles. I just listened for like 4 tracks, but love the surround mix, it just seems to fit. Definitely discrete, but didn't feel exaggerated. I love Terry Kath's crazy guitar coming out of left rear in...Liberation?-it makes me think of his daughter's excellent Chicago: The Terry Kath Experience. Best $109 I spend on audio EVER I think.

5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I listen the Chicago Transit Authority now in quad. It sounds so sweet, I think I will have Chicago week. I never really listened much this box. Silly me.
    I hope Doobies will come through with their box.

6. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Trying my best to find one that's affordable!

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Hold on and hold out. It took a long while for them to sell. Keep looking.

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Turboholic

Turboholic Forum Resident

jeffreybh and Shawn like this.
  9. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Wow! Thank you for the link

Turboholic and jeffreybh like this.
  10. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

11. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I’ve come so close to pulling the trigger on this one, but always back out at the last minute.

The Warner price is more than fair, but I’m just not that big of a Chicago fan. And then the disc issue has me wondering if it’s fixed in boxes being sold now.

What keeps tempting me, though, is how good the reviews are. Sometimes hearing something in such great quality raises your opinion of the music if you weren’t necessarily a fan before.

I really wish they’d release the Chicago IX separately. That would be such an easy buy for me.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

No Brainer if you have four speakers...

13. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I hate to resurrect an old thread...but. I finally picked up this set. How should I be listening to it? I have a home theater setup with a
    Denon AVR-X2200W. When I play these I barely can hear any vocals. What setting should I have my receiver set on? Should it be on stereo? Or DTS-X? Any thoughts?

14. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I believe you just set it on multi-channel. On a 5.1 set up all speakers will be used except the center.

JediJoker, JamesD1957 and audiomixer like this.
  15. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

It's quad.
    So you will only have signal for front -'left and right, and rear -- left and right. There is no signal for center or subwoofer. You should still set system for 5.1 to get the 4.0.:nyah:

16. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Do you hear a huge difference in the vocals if you switch the blu-ray audio setup from quad to stereo on the main menu?
    You should be able to switch back & forth on the fly and compare.

There was so much else going on with the band on these records, the lead vocals often don't jump out at you like some mixes.
    Are there examples of particular tracks?

Off the top of my head:
    • Many folks find that the quad mixes a bit heavy in the rears and find lowering them 3 dB or more helps the front to back balance.
    • When the lead vocals are in the phantom center, the toe-in of your front speakers becomes important. I hear a nice fat electric bass from the phantom center along with the vocals on CTA, for example.
    I remember when I first got this set, the quad effect took some getting used to.
    Hope you find it rewarding to play around with your system adjustments and setup and it grows on you as you spend more time with all the great quad material in this box.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 205 and when playing any titles from the Quadio set I select the DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0 audio option. No issue with hearing the vocals on my system. If all settings in your Denon and Blu-ray player are correct you should have no issues with the vocals or output of your sub(s) (bass management set to 80Hz here).

I just put on CTA and it sounds excellent! A great quad mix with a real immersive surround experience :)!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  18. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Some players/receivers have trouble with DTS-HD MA 4.0 streams. What player are you using?

boggs and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  19. paustin0816

I'm using a Sony BDP-S6700

20. Swordsandchains

My copy just arrived from Ebay that i found brand new last week. Do we know if new copies of this ever had fixed discs or all defective?

21. Doubtful. You can always reach out to Dr. Rhino but these days he’s one overworked physician!

Swordsandchains likes this.
  22. Swordsandchains

ive never had to contact Dr. Rhino but what is the email?

23. Further

Further Forum Resident

Ain’t that the truth!!! You’re looking at at least a month to hear back from first contact and than whatever waiting time after that to actually get it resolved.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. [email protected]

Swordsandchains likes this.
  25. paustin0816

These are available brand new from deepdiscount. Last time I checked a few days ago they were running a sale for $100. I cant say if they are the corrected ones.