"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Reading Townshend's take on what he referred to as the '74 tour in the box set essays, it is possible to imagine that he couldn't bear revisiting anything at all to do with Quadrophenia live i.e. the KBFH concerts? Maybe someone else can eventually sign off on officially releasing them? :).

3. moops

moops Senior Member

Original post from Jimii70
    I am so dissapointed the original mix was not used for this set . I have the original vinyl but it has bad scratches on "the real me" and " I'm one" . Can some one post me an amazon u.k link for the original mix on cd . It would be most appreciated .

I would have bought this for either the original mix or the full 5.1 mix . It doesn't offer either , big shame .

As far as I'm aware you're going to have to find one used but they are pretty easy to come by, either in the classifieds here, ebay, etc. Just grabbed one myself off of Discogs the other day. :thumbsup:

4. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Has anyone figured out exactly what they're using on that?

I don't remember the pre-release info even mentioning anything other than a 5.1 mix on the dvd, so I'd imagine it to be a just a foldown of the 5.1 for required compatibility?

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

As fans, many of us believe a Quadrophenia box set was the perfect opportunity and vehicle for issuing some of the 1973 multitracks. Clearly Townshend is ambivalent about the performances, so it is not a surprise he did not want them included on a box set that he was so involved with.

6. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

As far as I'm aware you're going to have to find one used but they are pretty easy to come by, either in the classifieds here, ebay, etc. Just grabbed one myself off of Discogs the other day. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

"cheers for the feedback , I will look for one" thanks again

7. moops

moops Senior Member

"cheers for the feedback , I will look for one" thanks again[/QUOTE]

You could start your quest here ........

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=112152&highlight=quadrophenia

The main point of contention seems to be whether there is any major difference between the original German Polydor and the original MCA audio-wise. I've ended up with the original Polydor which I love. There's also a difference with how they were both originally packaged. The German Polydor was a standard fatboy double case with the complete Quadrophenia artwork in the booklet. The MCA was two separate jewel cases with a foldout booklet in each CD containing the lyrics, but without the artwork. Or you could go for the MFSL set, but then you're looking at quite a few more dollars. So, it's up to you really. If you want the original mix, to be on the safe side you could just focus on the German Polydor. There's way more knowledgable people here with regards to this but I don't think there's any variations between early or later pressings with the Polydor anyway. You could always put a WTB "wanting to buy" in the classifieds here too. Here's one on ebay, best of luck with your search ! :wave:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-CD-Box...er_Unterhaltung_Music_CDs&hash=item336ddbc914

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

If your diligent in your search for an original MCA. At one point in time the 2 cds were packaged with a slipcase. (Front/back LP artwork)

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Really? Mine came in a long box, circa 1992 or 1993.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

There's been no mention of it that I've read either. I'm assuming it's a folddown. That being so, if true, I just happen to feel that as both the default(?) stereo mix and the sonics that it is via the dvd track, it's been and is a great listen for me. Fwiw, I mentioned a few specific things (in an earlier post) that seemd to leap out (two guitar parts at the end of 5:15, drums on the 'third verse' of Real Me and all over LROM, and many of Roger's vocals. There were too many examples to list here that I enjoyed hearing, as if listening to it for the first time.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's what I remember about mine too.

Slipcase for the MFSL discs but not the MCA (?).

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

MCAD2- 6895 Quadrophenia slipcase

Attached Files:

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

'The Who Maximum R&B'- By Richard Barnes contains a great read on the Quadrophenia era Who. In regards the to the live performances. The book mentions that (even when the backing tapes worked), the songs literally fell on deaf ears. There was silence in the audience. Virtually no one wanted to hear the new material. They wanted to hear songs from 'Tommy' and 'Whos Next'. No doubt Townshend has "bitter" memories from this period. He never liked the aborted original Quadrophonic mixes either (given the technology of the day).

14. dee

dee Senior Member

The record wasn't even out yet, in the shops, was it? PT mentions a bit about the record company and rehearsals in the new liners. Here they are doing a new concert no one is really familiar with. And without a key motif such as See Me, Feel Me or Listening to You, and even some very similar musical ideas repeating themselves as they do in Tommy - something for the audience to hang onto in the moment and become involved in. Much more a listening experience, imo, is Quad, than Tommy. The Is It Me refrain used in Dr. Jimmy is akin to that, but wasn't incorporated into the piece like segments were into Tommy. Interesting to me is that the first U.S. gig in SF they play it through without all the starts and stops in-between songs trying to explain it to the audience and imo, it was all the better for it, despite Keith's state at that gig, when they played it like that. It had momentum, even if its meaning or concept may have been lost on the audience at the time.

15. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Reviews on Amazon state this 2011 CD mastering is the "smoothest" sounding yet, compared to the 1996 mastering. Do members here agree with that?

Does anyone know if the 2011 CD was mastered from the original master tapes? Also, was noise reduction used on the 2011 mastering?

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I recently purchased an original Quadrophenia Tour Pin for my collection from an ebay seller @ 5.99 shipped. It arrived in excellent condition and I noticed he has another listed. Thought I'd mention that here being that we are talking about the tour.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2011 CDs are from the 1996 remixes, with one minor addition to 5.15. I'm not sure if those mixes were to some sort of tape or to file.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

Unless I'm reading into things, every post that I've read here on the forum so far has had a similar evaluation/impression of the remaster. Positive and/or preferrable to the previously mastered remix.

19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I ordered this from Amazon, it was preparing for dispatch, & I cancelled it at the last minute.

Part of me really wants this, but mainly because I love what I've heard of the demos. The album itself has never been a favourite of mine.

20. dead of night

Yes, that's my take too. That's good news because some of the 1996 sounds harsh to me, especially Pete's heavier chorded guitar sections. I'd love a more relaxed sounding Quadrophenia. Some of Real Me, Punk Meets Godfather and other louder sections for example. I'm thinking and hoping the 2011 master tames some of these sharper sounding sections.

However, here I am again re-buying albums. Maybe I could put my Quadrophenia "deluxe edition" with my Kinks "deluxe editions."

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The "smoothness" of the 2011 maybe a compromise, depending upon your playback gear. Some of the "excitement" of the recording gets lost-IMO. This is The Who after-all, loud-brash-powerful.

22. dead of night

Thanks reb. Here is a telling review from Amazon UK. I'd love to hear some comments and additions about this review from members here:

"I have to admit to being worried that the loudness war would strike again and hearing that Jon Astley was in charge also concerned me as he has been responsible for the destruction of several artists' repertoire over the years (Abba, Judas Priest, Boomtown Rats). However it was apparent immediately, as the waves crashed across the stereo spectrum, that the sound was pure. The fact that my volume control could be turned up considerably without having my eardrums shredded was proof that the music has been treated with the respect it needs and deserves and that the listener has been granted the right to choose their own volume level. All credit to Jon Astley for a terrific job. Maximum dynamic range equals maximum enjoyment of the music and how pleasant it is to actually get the feeling of the music instead of having to fight to hear it. Proof that CDs CAN sound good when prepared correctly."

Apologies if I have quoted a member here without giving due credit.

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Sharp is another apt word, imo. For me there was too much and too often a sibilant/clanging after-effect, especially with some of the cymbal smashes, that got to me. There is still much to digest, imo, regarding the demos and pcm stereo track, and book, and I've only heard a few songs from the new remaster. I have to send mine back to amazonuk tomorrow due to receiving a damaged book and skipping discs so I have much listening to do.

24. dead of night

For me, one of the worst parts of the 96 is when the Real Me begins; Pete's power chords have an unpleasant tone to them, as if he had a guitar with cheap pickups. However, I know it's the mastering. I wonder how the 2011 mastering sounds here. It'd be nice to hear the album without being apprehensive.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The original mix on cd does not have this "smoothness" but also does not have the "harshness" of the '96 remix. Many original mix LP pressings I've heard have a more open and airy top end as compared to the 2011 remix/remaster.

The 2011 is good, but the "smoothness" has been deliberately dialed in to address the harshness of the '96. Like I said its a compromise that may or may not been an improvement depending on your playback gear.

Ultimately, they should have gone back and made a completely new remaster. Instead of doing what they did, which was to put a band-aid on the flawed '96 remaster- all IMO.

Hope this helps ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.