"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Remastered but not remixed (except 5:15). Correct me if I am wrong: a remix always requires a remaster, but not the reverse; "digitally remastered" is a meaningless phrase.
    I'm one who prefers this version over all non-vinyl versions. I do miss some of the stray sound effects that were dropped in the remix (as well as one of the Can You See's in "The Real Me"). I don't think I actually *noticed* that they were missing - e.g., my (old) brain always 'filled' in the squawks at the end of "The Dirty Jobs" because my young brain listened to Quadrophenia about a bazillion times.

2. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

RichardL, when you say you prefer "this version," which version are you referring to, the 1996 or the 2011?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

5.15 was not remixed either. One small bit was flown into the 1996 mix.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Luke, did you get your set yet? And do you like it? I can't remember if you do 5.1 or not.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It is apparently somewhere between Croydon and Madison at the moment.

I do have a 5.1 setup, although I only listen to music through it occasionally.

6. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have had this set for a week and now busted it open. Other Box sets came first. Great Book. Disc one sounds OK. "The Punk And The Godfather" sounded very smooth. Now I want to dig out the 96 for a comparison. After that I want to hear the original track vinyl. It's been a long spell without a listen. The 5.1 will get a listen in time. Such a great Who LP.

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I was thrilled at first but my enthuisam cooled with the mention that it might be PT demos rather than Who versions. I agree - if there are full band versions of Riot In The Female Jail, Can't You See I'm Easy and Ambition it would be a tremendous revelation.

8. moops

moops Senior Member

Sorry, I was meaning the MCA, as far as I knew, didn't come with the booklet the Polydor had. I had no idea about a slipcase at one stage though :)

9. dee

dee Senior Member

I think some/all? of those boxes are marked "PT" - not sure.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

One can only hope that some previously unheard Who versions of PT demos (or outtakes) do indeed show up on Q-Cloud.

Either way its a significant find, as the tape box gives us a glimpse into what Pete was working on between WN and Quad.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Long Live Rock reel is of Pete's demos. No demo of Ambition on there.

12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Did anyone who owns the 1996 mastering on CD buy the 2011 just for the different mastering? And are you glad you did?

13. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Yes and yes.

14. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

No Box for Who's Next?

Since I've just started listening to the Who recently, I didn't get the box but got the 2-CD version (yet to listen). I'm so addicted to the Who's Next album these days and was wondering why Pete/EMI jumped from Live at Leeds (40th anniversary) to the Quadrophenia box skipping the 40th anniversary of Who's Next in the process.

Has Pete said anything about a super deluxe Who's Next? Or is there just not enough material outside the 2-CD Deluxe from 2003? I would like to hear his demos and the band outtakes from 1971 along with similarly nice hard cover book. Any hope of this happening?

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good questions. I assumed that since Who's Next already got the "deluxe treatment" they were moving on to Quad which had been in talked about stages for deluxe treatment for years but nothing was done prior to this. And they ended up making it not just "deluxe" but also "super deluxe director's cut" too.

I'd like to see them keep moving on through the albums & do some kind of "deluxe" treatment for By Numbers, then Who Are You, before going back & doing a super-duper Who's Next deluxe (if that even ever happens). So far we now do have at least "deluxe" versions for everything up through Quadrophenia - wait except for A Quick One, if I remember right.

I'd really like to see something special done for By Numbers, if they have anything to add to what's already come out.

17. davers

davers Forum Resident

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

When Pete's asked in Mojo what his favorite Quad tune is he replies with I'm One. Why the hell didn't he do a 5.1 version of it? :shh: Great issue btw.

19. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

In addition to the Who's Next Deluxe Edition, Pete's own Lifehouse Chronicles boxset already serves a similar function as the Quadrophenia box. It's got 2 CD's of Lifehouse demos...then some more stuff that I never listen to :laugh: But anyway, after that a Who's Next box would be kinda redundant.

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Is the Lifehouse Chronicles box still available?

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

True. I have that boxset but 4got about it! Unfortunately it is in storage or I'd listen to it right now (have Who "fever" lately after getting Quadrophenia). I packed up a lot of my boxsets last year that were on a shelf in the living room (dammit).

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't listen to the play ever, but the other non-demo music is interesting and definitely worth a spin from time to time.

23. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Good question...

I just looked at eelpie.com (which in itself I haven't looked at in a long time and wasn't even sure if IT still existed) and there isn't currently anything in the "boxsets" section, so...I guess not.

It looks like there are a couple on ebay at the moment though.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just took a look out of curiosity. There are none of the boxset that I can see (I'm searching for "townshend lifehouse"), other than one that sold for $150 about a week ago.

There are some of the one CD version, plus the 99 cent single I remember being on sale at BestBuy.

I can see several for sale at Amazon. $229 is cheapest one ("VG" condition) and cheapest new one is $400.

25. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

I searched under "lifehouse chronicles" on ebay and saw 2 at around $70

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.