"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ProfBoz, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Doctor Jimmy is an improvement (mainly because of Roger's great vocal) but still Keith's drums are damn wimpy. Absolutely no bottom (and I have 2 subwoofers going)!!!

2. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident Thread Starter

You'll also note an editing error in "The Rock." After the drums and guitars fade out during the "Love Reign O'er Me" sequence, there's a quiet bit where only the string synth is playing, and then Moon comes crashing in right before the glockenspiel synth starts playing the "Helpless Dancer" them--but Moon comes in too late. You'll hear it, trust me.

"Love Reign O'er Me" is awful. Roger sounds like he's in a wind tunnel somewhere. The reverb is completely overwhelming.

Pete talked about these mixes being "soft," in the style of the "Tommy" album. He said Who fans probably wouldn't like it, but he did. I think that's what I remember.

3. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Well Pete did say he wished The Who sounded more like The Doobie Brothers, with this release....it sounds like he succeeded.

4. JohnG

Well I'm up to Love Reign O'er Me and its raining on the disc and raining outside my open screen door (so thats a nice effect) :D

5. JohnG

Well that was a weird listen. :)

It will never be a demo disc for surround thats for sure. A real oddity.

6. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I totally agree with you. It almost sounds like some of these 5.1 mixes were recorded in a cave!

7. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I'm not agree with you at all, Quadrophenia is the best Who album, a masterpiece and one of the best albums of the history of rock.

8. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I must say listening to Pete's Quad demos is a revelation. It's very cool to hear the the outtakes sequenced in by Pete. Great mixes, and the added drums (on five of the twentyfive)aren't as bad as I had feared. Sounds pretty good for an itunes download. I like the idea of getting Steve Wilson to do a COMPLETE surround mix. Then I'll buy it.

yesstiles likes this.
  9. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Top 5 rock album of all time!:righton:

10. JohnG

It remains my favorite album of all time so the box was worth the $$$ for me. But damn, I wish Pete will revisit the surround mix and get someone proper to remix it over.

11. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I also think compared to many "concept" albums and especially 70s double albums it's aged remarkably well. I just never get tired of listening to this album.

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one...

I think Live at Leeds is probably the best Who release overall, but for my money, The Who's best studio album top to bottom is Quadrophenia.

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

If you're purchasing the director's-super-deluxe etc. at Best Buy, be careful . . the price in the Sunday circular (in Illinois) says $121.99, but the set rings up at $129.99. It's just eight bucks, but hey . . . :sigh:

14. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Oh, yeah. I REALLY CAN'T AFFORD THE SET AND I'M HIDING BEHIND A LIE TO COVER UP THAT FACT. I should have said that in the first place, instead of openly wondering if I want to pay $140 for a project that seems overblown and not really worth the money. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go listen to my copy of The Smile Sessions* for the 25th time. :rolleyes:

*The Smile Sessions is not overblown and worth every penny.

15. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

I want to share my first impression but I haven't been able to give it my full attention yet (i'm very sick).
    The new drums on a couple of demos don't bother me. I still think Pete could have left them off but they don't sound horrible. The book is great. The photos look ok to me. Pete's essay is very interesting. I didn't have any problems with QCloud.
    I have surround sound now at home but I haven't listened to the disc yet. Honestly I have listened to the demos more than the record so far. It's weird hearing 'We Close Tonight' without that John bass but it's still pretty good.
    I still think it is overpriced--so are concert tickets. It is what it is.
    I guess if you like the Beach Boys or Pink Floyd their boxes are better? But I don't like those bands very much.

16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

17. easyge

easyge Senior Member

All my disc's were scratched pretty good and my box has a cut on the side of the spine which will grow worse if I don't glue it.

Why do we have to continue to deal with this kind of negligent packaging?

So far my disc's play fine but I just think this really sucks. Us collectors are the ones bailing out these greedy ******** and this is what we get...

Sending this back is really pointless since the scratches could have happened at anytime during shipping to the dealers as well.

:realmad: :cussing:

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Here is a picture (Q-Cloud) of a tape box that contains recordings for the unreleased Who Album 'Rock Is Dead-Long Live Rock'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Is_Dead—Long_Live_Rock!

Directors Cut liner notes:

Attached Files:

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've been told some of those tracks were not recorded by The Who, so presumably that's a running compilation of Pete's demos. Pretty cool.

FYI, here's the correct link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Is_Dead%E2%80%94Long_Live_Rock!

20. dee

dee Senior Member

Whose handwriting in blue ink? The 1 and the 2 are right next to the two songs that The Who may never have recorded? What's written in the upper right corner? Why would 'stereo copy' be written if The Who perhaps did not record these? Luke? Anybody?

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Thanks for this!

That book is damn impressive! Not just the usual nice pictures with captions deluxe book, but heavy with the text as well. Now I have a better idea of why this thing costs so damn much. A lot of time/money/effort spent on packaging/presentation.

This damn video has made my decision not to buy a bit harder to live with. Probably lots of cool/exclusive info in there...

22. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I loved reading the PDF version of the booklet that came with my itunes download of the Super Deluxe edition. Almost more than listening to the music, in fact.

I didn't spot many major factual or timeline errors in Pete's essay, between that, his BBC Before I Get Old two part special and the chapters on his early life he briefly made available online it gives me high hopes that if his autobiography is finally published next year that it will be a very good read. Pete's so into recording he may do his own audiobook, too.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure who the writing belongs to - maybe Glyn or Pete? I believe the 1 and 2 designate sides - Long Live Rock being the last song on side 1 and Is It In My Head being the first song on side 2. Note the line separating those two.

It is a 7 1/2 IPS reel. Presumably a dub of a 15 IPS reel (or reels) for home listening purposes. Hence "stereo copy".

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I feel the same. Watching the video makes me more tempted to pull the trigger. That book is what the Floyd Immersion boxes should have included.

25. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. At first when I saw the numbers next to those titles it piqued my interest, but then it seemed like they were as you say designating the sides. I guess what I'm most naturally curious about are those three other titles and the idea that they could be on that reel? Why else would they be written down there? Unless the list is all Pete demos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.