"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ProfBoz, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

An unbelievable choice. Was going to pick it up until I saw this travesty.

2. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Watched the interview videos on QCloud and despite how I feel about Pete these days for some of his dumb moves as far as releases, I still love the guy and am spellbound when he talks about his craft and rock and roll in general.

His stark honesty in admitting that Quad was the last great Who album is actually pretty moving. Few artists would admit that the latter part of their bands career was not as fruitful as the beginning, despite the fact that's more than true for the majority of bands (Bono, Bruce, Elvis, Michael Stipe are you listening?)

3. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I don't know about anyone else here but to call it a "Directors Cut" infers that it's an alternate edition of the album that differs from the released version.

Now, in my book, bonus disks of demos (as nice as they are) don't count as the "album" (unless they where used to fill in gaps the albums narrative, in liue of band versions). If the released album was the "director's" complete version then what the piont of adding the "Director's Cut" moniker?

I would have expected at least expected 'We Close Tonight' to be added into the storyline or something. I'm not an expert but isn't there meant to of been at least another album's worth of outakes (a 3 disc version of Quadrophenia anyone)?

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

5. dee

dee Senior Member

dvd has pcm stereo track 96/24! Sounds awesome. Heavy toms, kick-drum, like an alternate mix, whether it be a 5.1 folddown or not. Absolutely knocked out by the sound and mix of it. Sounds so new and clear it is as if there are alternate parts included! amazing...toms are thunderous in the title track instrumental, kick drum and kit in LROM, guitars in 515...

6. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Just a post to echo what others have said about the new mastering of the remix being clearly better than the '96 edition...

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

If you do some research and add up the known track times for these songs. Its quite probable that this was sequenced to fit on an LP side. As indicated by the line and the circled #1 /#2

In all my years of being a relatively hardcore Who fan and collector. This tape box/tape is one of the utmost significant vault finds in recent Who history.

Here we have the very first physical evidence that 'Rock Is Dead...Long Live Rock was an actual aborted Who LP. Not just an idea that Pete had, previously only rumored to exist in scattered Who related literature.

Its baffling to me that only two forum members have taken notice and participated in discussing this historical Who artifact...

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Indeed.

Too bad it wasn't included in the box. I won't hold my breath, but maybe if we get lucky it will show up on QCloud.

9. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Photo of WHO and Pete TOWNSHEND; using portable recording equipment on the banks of the river Thames with his father Cliff Townshend (Photo by Chris Morphet/Redferns)

10. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

Yes I think it's cool we're seeing these tape boxes. I did notice it but honestly I had decided that I was not going to post in this thread anymore, I feel like I have been talking to myself & the overall tone is a bit unpleasant(I personally don't enjoy arguing with folks online).

11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

If these statements were in text, would it be possible for you to paste them here? Also, did he have anything positive to say about Moon's contribution? - or anything at all, really.

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

What the heck is QCloud?

13. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

You would have thought Qudraphenia would have been naturally mixed in Quad at the time, why now, only give us surround mixes of half the album? I'd rather have that than some bloody demos!

14. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

This has all been explained before...

15. dee

dee Senior Member

The shipping box from amazonuk that I received was damaged and the book had slipped out of the holder and all the cd's I have have digital hiccups on them as well. I have been able to listen to most of the remaster and although I haven't done a comparison with the '96, I like the way the remastered remix sounds.

16. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

I am so dissapointed the original mix was not used for this set . I have the original vinyl but it has bad scratches on "the real me" and " I'm one" . Can some one post me an amazon u.k link for the original mix on cd . It would be most appreciated .

I would have bought this for either the original mix or the full 5.1 mix . It doesn't offer either , big shame .

17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Hi Jimii70, just noticed you're just down the road from me! :wave:

18. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

I was just reading your profile . What a coincidence.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Since the drum overdubs were used and there is no way around hearing them on the official release, here's my first impression, fwiw. On first listen, the overdubbed drums on Four Faces seemed very inconsequential to my enjoyment of the track. They sounded to me like they were just there in the background keeping time and fit in with some of Townshend's own simplistic drumming that he does on some of the other recordings. Sea and Sand took a few more liberties, but again, to me, nothing that detracted musically, imo, from the demo. I've Had Enough was too much I thought. I got as far as LROM until yet another digital hiccuo/skip early in the song had me shutting it down. It was a late night by then and just before LROM, Bell Boy and Dr. Jimmy seemed hit and miss with the drums. I can only imagine that when PT heard the demos n the context of all the other demo recordings, he felt like they were missing either drums as part of his intended arrangement or just drums (as in Four Faces perhaps) to better the whole perfoemance simply as a timekeeping device.

I've given the dvd pcm stereo track a full listen to twice now and so far that is my favorite listening experience of this release. Keith and Roger (despite some of the vocal reverb) sound especially fantastic to my ears.

20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.