Quadrophenia vinyl experts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It also seems odd that he didn't state that the UK and US were cut (with the liner notes reflecting it) by different engineers, and obviously sourced differently.

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me what type of inner sleeves these came in? Just trying to ascertain if I have received a copy that's been resealed....

Thanks!

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Don't all answer at once...

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Are you talking about the Classic reissue? That may depend when and where pressed. Polylined paper with or without Classic records printing or some late Classics had MFSL/QRP type inner sleeve. The 140 gram version inners may be different.

Crazylegs5000 likes this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ok...weird. Its the 200g quiex version. They just don't look like the sort of inners that I recognise from anywhere. They're the QRP/MFSL fully plastic type of inner with a clear front and white backing. Its going back anyway, as it was shipped to me with a couple of corner dents. It was sealed and certainly looked sealed. I have bought a few Classic pressings before and it did look brand new. I unsealed to check the jacket damage and how bad it was...it was beyond my tolerance. I did however check the vinyl aswell, and these sleeves left all sorts of horrible marks...a bit like what you would get from using unlined paper sleeves. That was kind of the final straw for me.

6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I have the 200gram Classic. Came with polylined paper on one side with just clear poly on the other. No printing.

7. Classicrock

They did use that type of inner as mentioned above. Forget the marks they are created when pressing not by the sleeves. That was common on later Classic pressings. They may play perfectly and most likely will. Depends how bad the sleeve damage is. Who did you purchase from?

8. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I have a W5 and W6 etched & stamped TML. I don't think I've played it since getting the Classic. I'll need to do a shoot out one of these days.

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have a stunning condition UK original with an intact booklet that I haven't played it for years, probably over 10 years. My equally nice original Tommy along with this have both been at my parents house for that long, along with Meaty Beaty, Who's Next, Odds & Sods & the Quadrophenia OST vinyl. I must get these records back!

Anyway, the original UK Quadrophenia Track album with dark black, not glossy labels, definitely is not a noisy pressing.

audiotom likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A bargain. The best you've ever had?

klownschool and markshan like this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Any of the choices you have cited are good. i like the German press the best though

Moonchild and beatleswho like this.
  12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have this(and the MFSL CD). Good luck finding this LP used without a beat up cover.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Paid £60 for a sealed copy on eBay..

14. Lady Luck was on my side, as it came in fantastic shape with booklet intact for a mere $10 about 4-5 years ago!

15. Slick Willie

Those are correct, I purchased mine sealed. As far as the markings....welcome to 200 gram RTI products!!!

klownschool and richbdd01 like this.
  16. Classicrock

If it's a Quiex 200 gram it should come in a cellophane like outer protection with a seal at the top and not in shrinkwrap or the loose poly sleeves with tear off strip.

17. Classicrock

These were not RTI but likely Bill Smith or later Classic had their own presses. RTI refused to do more 200 gram because of the high reject rate so later production with the MFSL style inners is almost certainly as above. Bill Smith was recently acquired by United unfortunately.

18. Slick Willie

I did not know that, but most of my others have the poly lined paper so something changed.

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yes it did come sealed in the outer cellophane. I always try and buy them with the Queix sticker...

I was just unsure about the inners. All my led Zeppelin ones have he paper poly inner. I do recall that the Aqualung had the same inner as Quadrophenia...but that was unsealed s I just thought the seller had swapped it out...

It's going back though due to the damage...

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Quadrophenia doesn't look like an RTI pressing....it hasn't got their usual numbers in the deadwax so I guess that plant must have used the different inners?

They should have stuck with RTI...the other Quiex ones done by them i.e. Zeppelin, Gabriel etc look a lot better.

21. Just scored this Canuck-pressed beauty with the TML mastering for a paltry $5:
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    Just incredible-sounding. My other pressings can't touch the absolutely thunderous presentation from Moon's drumkit & The Ox's bass-guitar on this sucker. The whole sound just positively explodes out of my hi-fi. My livingroom windows were breathing once I got 'er cranked up. This is how The Who should sound! Stunning work from The Mastering Lab IMHO...
    [​IMG]

klownschool and beatleswho like this.
  22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I dunno, I gotta check my US Track and see if it is a TML, because I didn't care for it AT ALL. And as others have said, the Classic is too bright.

My go to was a German copy that I am fairly sure used the original UK stampers. I never heard anything compare to that until I heard the Japanese SACD and the current blu-ray which are every bit as good.

Old Rusty likes this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I saw this one today so picked it up. I agree... Wow! Amazing sounding. Really blew me away how good it was. I think I'm gonna grab Who By Numbers (Classic) too.

beatleswho likes this.
  24. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I wanna know how in the heck did Townsend ever get that kind of air? Did he have a mini trampoline at his feet or what? It doesn't even seem physically possible, and yet there's the pic for proof. I've seen this pic for years, before Photoshop, so I'm pretty sure it's real, but how can it be??

somnar and Killermeteor like this.
  25. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

The camera angle is quite low, making the jump appear higher relative to the other 'fixed' points on the stage. It's still a hell of a jump though!