Quadrophenia vinyl experts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 30, 2017.

1. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

It’s trick/photoshop photography. Townshend didn’t have a three stack times two Hiwatt amp. Plus one of the threads had the actual picture.

funknik likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Still impressive in my book

2141, funknik, ssmith3046 and 4 others like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Hi-Watt amps are about 3 feet in height. Townshend typically jumps vertically to the top of the cabinet. However, he leaps over 3 feet laterally. Impressive indeed, especially with a Les Paul Deluxe which is a rather heavy guitar.( the SG is quite a bit lighter)

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

It’s the doc martins

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow. You should play it. Played mine today and I agree. Easily the best t I've ever heard.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I should. I'm going to get them back over Christmas. When I moved house a long time ago I took loads of records I had on CD aswell there to store and lighten the load. My parents don't mind. I started with some of my most treasured and best condition rare ones to protect them. Then I never brought them back!

I've got most of them back now. There's still some good stuff there though. Original Beggars Banquet & octagon shaped sleeved Through The Past Darkly, a complete Live at Leeds, first UK pressings of the first 2 Neil Young albums, a few Otis Redding originals. I'm looking forward to playing these again!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  8. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I was considering picking up a classic (acousticsounds still has a few) before it's gone.
    A mint UK is gong to run me 100+.
    So I threw on my$22 US TML and I forgot how great it sounds.
    One small pop in Dr. Jimmy- otherwise all quiet. Total clarity- full of punch.

ODShowtime and Old Rusty like this.
  9. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

You will not find a better Quadrophenia than a U K Track.

Take the time and search for a NM copy they are out there.

You won't regret spending 40-50 dollars on a copy.

beatleswho, audiotom and markp like this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would skip the Classic as IMO what you have easily betters it.
    And...save up for the UK release!!!!
    BTW, US & UK TML's are not the same.

11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I had a Classic ... 140gm I think. Ended up selling it. Good, but I preferred my original UK Track copies. Those just sound cleaner and clearer to my ears.

samthesham and aoxomoxoa like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

The German Phases is my favorite version. I guess to each his own.

timnor likes this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Damn. It's been 20 years since I last heard anything in my box. It's in storage about 5,000 miles east of me. Wish I had it with me now. At least it'll be a treat when I get my hands on it again...

14. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Was reading this thread only the other day and then happened to come across very nice German Track. I say very nice - it is quite possibly one of the nicest bits of second hand vinyl that I have ever come across. If it has been played in its 45 year life it is only very sparingly. The labels are like new and the sleeve and the booklet are as good as anyone could hope for a product of this age. Even the inner paper sleeves are pretty much pure white!

Onto the sound - its lovely. I do not have a UK Track to compare with but this copy sound very full and dynamic. It definitely works better when cranked but I guess that is true of most Who albums in whatever forms they take. Perhaps Moon's drums are slightly less forward than I would expect - they certainly seem that way compared to the UK Track of Whos Next that I have but obviously that is a different recording all together. When turned up through, it is a explosive, thunderous recording and I found myself just thoroughly enjoying the album and getting lost in the piece and I cannot pay it much higher praise than that. I do have the Blu Ray audio of Quadrophenia so I will do a back to back with that at some stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Just out of curiosity, is the booklet stapled inside the gatefold?

16. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Yes it is. All 44 pages of it. According to Discogs the UK version has a 22 page booklet only.

17. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I have: 1-Original US brown label Track/MCA, 2- MCA black rainbow US, 3-MCA Tan label US, 4-Orignal(?) UK track black label.
    All are near mint and all sound great to me. Maybe there are some minor differences in sound, but not enough to recommend on over the other. So I would have to say any one you can find in NM for a good deal would be a worthwhile purchase.

Old Rusty likes this.
  18. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Not sure how they're counting, but all issues have the same number of pages. Sounds like some are counting the page sides and some are counting both sides as one page. I have UK, German and US versions and all booklets are the same length.

ODShowtime, Slick Willie and xfilian like this.
  19. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Ahhh ok. Am just basing it on what Discogs says. It states a 22 page for the UK and a 44 page for the German.

How do you feel the three releases compate sound wise

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I own this one, had to grab it in the 80s with a $17.99 price tag one it. It's on Sony/CBS (Columbia style label). Beautiful perfect pressing. Need to check and see if it has TML in deadwax.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Was checking to see what versions I have of Quadrophenia on vinyl as I had just cranked up my Gt. Britain copy the other day and was thinking how bad a#$ this version sounded, absolutely amazing! Was happy to see I have a first or at least close to pressing of easily my all time favorite album! Then I ran across this wonderful thread.

Track, TML dead wax with the cover stating Euro Holland BV, (vinyl dead mint) so I would assume very early. I remember camping out for tickets for this tour back in 73 in St. Louis, with Lynyrd Skynyrd opening up. Honestly out of the dozen or so times I saw the original line up, this particular tour was not one of their best because of the way they tried to create the quad sound for this release. But even on a sub par night, they could out perform anyone at the time IMO.

Old Rusty and Cassius like this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have an original US Track W5/W6 I haven't listened to in a while. I saw the Classic still available at Acoustic Sounds so I searched and read this thread. My original is NM but I decided to clean it on the VPI for the first time before listening to it.

Excellent, excellent sound. Based on this and several people on this thread preferring this pressing to the Classic, I'll spend the $55 elsewhere.

I made the mistake of buying the Polydor reissue around 15 years ago. Not recommended! Try to find an original US (or UK based on theirs opinions) in good shape and you will be happy.

audiotom, jgrillo, katstep and 2 others like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome! I also have that same pressing as well and agree, it sounds excellent!!! GB version is a little better though, but that US original smokes as well!

teag and Slick Willie like this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

25. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Is there any difference between the 200 and 140 gram ones of Classic? Besides the weight of course.