Quality USB Cables. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fletcher Munson, Mar 13, 2023.

1. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

For the same reasons, I use this cable as well.

2. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

Fully agree on this.

My USB cable streamer => DAC (integrated amp, iirc): USB 2.0 cable with 2 ferrite cores INDUSTRIAL VERSION 1m | CU-HQ-10

As the streamer is rather cheap (Android media player / UAPP app, cheap power supply) i wanted to try filtering and galvanic isolation for this connection (still testing).
    There were no audible issues, but this one seams to improve sound quality: https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/953487.html

The bits should be the same really, but the electrical influences from streamer to DAC are different with Topping HS02 and i'd say "cleaner" (cannot measure).

E.g. there was no improvement with Ifi iPurifier3 (in contrast, sound was audibly worse to me).

In year 202x it should be easy to guarantee a bit perfect connection from streamer to DAC at a "normal" price level, but still there are differences in sound.

3. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

Another one for QED USB Cable......great quality and very reliable.

4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Audioquest Forest. I've never tried anything that was more expensive. I've had mine for years, and, thankfully, they've held up. I did have a cheap freebie USB cable in place at one point, but it started behaving badly. That's when I gave the Audioquest Forest a try. Honestly, maybe an Amazon Essentials would be just as good. I just don't know.

5. james

james Summon The Queen

Ordered a Supra USB cable this morning. I'll try it in my office/headphone rig and my main stereo and report back. I haven't historically been sensitive to any cables.

jonwoody likes this.
  6. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Besides the myriad of basic USB cables I have on hand these are the ones I’ve purchased for audio over the years (highest price $250):

AudioQuest Carbon
    Belkin Gold
    Black Cat Silverstar!
    Blue Jeans
    dB Audio Labs
    ifi Gemini
    UpTone Audio USPCB A>B Adapter

I honestly believed I heard a difference after each purchase. The reality is I have no doubt I would score no better than 50/50 in a blind listening test comparing any of these with a properly built generic cable. Perhaps my system wasn’t resolving enough despite the cost (~$8000). Suffice it to say I won’t bother purchasing another USB cable regardless of which gear I’m using at the moment.

7. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I 100% agree that the cinnamon/carbon usb sounds better than all the baseline crap usb cables out there...i.e., you already have something affordable that produces a good sound.
    You could try the AQ jitterbug instead at this point or the holo audio filter, etc..instead of expecting miracle after miracle as you ascend the usb 'cable ladder' somehow. There is no such endless cable ladder and miracle.

8. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

I recommend original curious cable.

reapers and Toneh like this.
  9. fish

fish Senior Member

Curious Cables

made down under?

You have them?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    guestuser likes this.
  10. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

Currently running the Analysis Plus Purple USB cable and really like it. I had the AQ Carbon and switched it out just to try something different. Both sound great but my ears prefer the Purple.

The USB cable I’m interested to try is the Cardas Clear USB cable.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  11. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

These forums are quite nice and friendly a veritable haven for audio enthusiasts, if you want to see hostility, flaming and emotionalism just post anything suggesting a cable is worthwhile on youtube! The coat hanger enthusiasts insisting that cables reached their apex in 1950 are still out there.

budgethifiman and jonwoody like this.
  12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

For fairly inexpensive, tough to beat the Oyaide NEO d+ Class A at around $80 for a 2m run. It's actually a steal and the first USB I bought that proved to me there was an audible difference between USBs. It permanently resides in my PC setup.
    For a moderately priced USB, the Audio Sensibility Statement Silver (OCC silver) USB is very good. This one stays in my main system. After I get my new Ayre DAC (1-2 more weeks) and Lumin U2 streamer (tomorrow), I am going to try a more expensive cable ($400 - $600+) and see if it makes things sound better than my AS cable. If not, I can always return it...

warp2600 likes this.
  13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have had really good results with Audioquest, Shunyata Research, and Synergistic Research.

fish likes this.
  14. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Yes! +1

Had one when I still owned a BlueSound NODE. With three sources going at the time I ran out of options to connect to the DAC I owned at the time meaning USB became my last option.
    I was like - USB cable make a difference? Yeah right :rolleyes:

So I started messing around with various inexpensive cables... some that came free with a printer, then a few that cost like $20... and I heard differences.
    Then - in a fit of madness - I thought dammit... maybe I'll try one of these Curious cables people seem to rate so highly. I'm from New Zealand, Australia is my next door neighbour so I figured worst come to worst I'll send it back within the 30 days return period if it doesn't seem worth the money. But it was, so it stayed until I no longer had use for it.

At various times I connected that NODE via optical (two Chord models), co-axial (Mogami and Voodoo cable) and finally that Curious cable. The Curious was - by some distance - the best of the lot IMO.
    When I sold it the buyer actually mailed me after a week to tell me he likewise thought it was the best cable he had among a considerable number of options at his disposal.

I know cables make people skeptical - I don't prescribe my findings to anyone - there's nothing like trying something for yourself.

budgethifiman, reapers and jonwoody like this.
  15. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I have a Cardas Clear USB cable that cost me around $130 ten years ago and a Monoprice USB cable that cost me around $10 in my systems. I can't tell a difference between them.

16. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I've been using Belkin Gold ever since reading that it was Art Dudley's (Stereophile) reference USB for many years. I'm amazed at how good it sounds and for me it was a step up from the typical USB computer able. Amazon.com

zphage and jlykos like this.
  17. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

18. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Cinnamon really, whatever next chocolate.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:shrug:

I guess it had to be tasty. :D

20. Fletcher Munson

Fletcher Munson Forum Resident Thread Starter

My system has a chocolatey bottom end.

budgethifiman and guestuser like this.
  21. Fletcher Munson

Fletcher Munson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Done more testing. The LG drive and Auralic seems to like the Carbon USB combined with a NEOtech solid silver coax to the Pontus. Playing with the Audalic filters, the Precise and Dynamic are preferred to the Balanced or Soft filters. Sounds darn good. I spotted an open box Cardas Clear at a decent discount so I'll audition that and return if not up to it.
    So far the Auralic with an exterior DVD drive is just as good or better than my previous Audiolab 6000 CDT. The only glitch is that it won't read SACDS which is no biggie as I only have a couple.
    Onward.
    Thanks to all who took the time to share their experience.

22. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Curious Cable for me.

guestuser likes this.
  23. Winer

Winer Well-Known Member

Whatever stock cable came with the device works for me.

budgethifiman and vwestlife like this.
  24. DiggyGun

DiggyGun One Box Is The Future

Another vote for QED USB cables.

Use their Connect USB A-C on my office system connecting the PC to the DAC.

For the money a good improvement over the stock cable that came with the DAC.

DG…

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:righton:

jonwoody likes this.