Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

"There can be only one."

2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Technically, no. However, for the most part, I think Freddie's voice / live performances, and many of his songs are what draws most people towards Queen. Even their two biggest moments - Bohemian Rhapsody and Live Aid were mostly down to Freddie.

3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I dunno "most people", so I feel we'll have to disagree on this one.

Rufus rag, KAJ1971 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You don't have to "know" most people to observe opinion. When you read comments on Queen on social media, it's overwhelmingly Freddie that people talk about and praise.

warewolf95, Rufus rag and Steve M. like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

6. Long before we knew the details of what would become Bohemian Rhapsody, I'd actually drafted up my own idea of what a Queen biopic should be... Over the course of three distinct acts, each more incredible than the events your average band would experience in a million lifetimes, it would take both fans and newcomers alike through the group's whole journey, ending with Adam Lambert's introduction while Freddie can be heard still demanding that his music is never allowed to become boring - isn't that more like what he wanted? I can't imagine he'd be too happy with Brian and Roger bringing forward his AIDS diagnosis as a plot device to justify their "reuniting" for Live Aid, when in reality he wouldn't learn of this until Easter 1987!

Efus likes this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

For many Queen fans who find Lambert as dull as dishwater, that scene would be nauseating.

FourWalledWorld and Man at C&A like this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Of course Roger, John and Brian were very good musicians and wrote some very good stuff. However, Freddie's instrument - his voice, contribution of songwriting, performing and overall star quality completely demolished the other 3 combined. And then some.

pantofis and Leroyd like this.
  9. I'm with you. Queen's biggest singles were written by John Deacon, and it's also very clear that while Brian May wouldn't have had such a big career without Freddie as a frontman, he was HUGELY responsible for large swaths of their music. I'd argue that Roger Taylor was perhaps the least important band member, but he also wrote some hit singles, sing superb background vocals, and eventually became a really good lead vocalist as well. Truly a historically great rock band.

10. How much of that is is his tragic early demise and what might it have been if they had all lived until today? I'd suggest the balance would be a little different even though I'll also allow that he was the biggest/most important of the four band members.

Dee Zee likes this.
  11. I'm no fan of anyone from the talent show school of excessive vocal gymnastics, but at least he brings an level of theatricality that I'm sure his predecessor would have enjoyed. Saying that, Adam probably wouldn't exist as we know him today if Freddie was still around...

I'd like to think that even if the group had never formed, Brian would still have made his name as a distinctive guitarist, if not a solid songwriter as well. Roger probably had the best chance of solo success on looks alone, while John might have succeeded as a reclusive writer of the occasional hit for other artists. However, all three would still be eclipsed by Freddie, though he'd need a band prepared to rein in some of his more indulgent tendencies. For better or worse, it really is best how things worked out for Queen's original 1973-1995 studio catalogue, which is a run of quality that's (mostly) second to none!

pantofis, Man at C&A, Ludger and 2 others like this.
  12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I remember when he was alive, and he was always the main focus. Freddie was regarded as a top-notch frontman / rock singer back then too. That was well and truly established with Live Aid, if not before.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    patrickd and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Freddie might've thought of him as terrible. He generally liked singers who had excellent voices (Aretha Franklin, George Michael, Montserrat Caballé etc), and to my ears, Lambert's voice is harsh and grating. I can't bear that voice for more than a few seconds. I find him tacky an inauthentic too.

Man at C&A and 9 Volt like this.
  14. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

All very talented writers and musicians, but Freddie's writing elevated them from being a meat and potatoes rock band into something a bit more spectacular and eccentric.

Obviously Brian's guitar harmonies are a very distinctive part of the sound and his best songs are rock classics but they could have ended up with a dreary Paul Rodgers-esque type of singer...

I'm not saying Freddie was Queen, but there is no Queen without Freddie.

Leroyd, Man at C&A and Sondek like this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That's where I'm coming from with it too. Queen was an outstanding group, but Freddie took it to another level.

Man at C&A and Giant Hogweed like this.
  16. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Having seen the movie, I think you're a bit off beam there. I dont think they suggest they got back together because of his AIDS diagnosis at all. I think they included it because there was a lot of pressure from fans not to overlook the AIDS diagnosis and they never planned for the movie to go past Live Aid. I think they handled it reasonably well. There are other things that irritated me, particularly in hindsight, about the chronology surrounding Live Aid, but the AIDS diagnosis wasnt one of those things. Obviously as a long time Queen fan Im well aware he wasnt diagnosed until '87, whether he suspected anything earlier or not. I thought they handled the whole diagnosis thing pretty respectfully, but the timeline sucked. They basically ignored the fact that Queen had come off the successful 1984 The Works tour only weeks before Live Aid and said theyd not played together in a couple of years to give drama to Freddie recording Mr Bad Guy and them "getting back together" for the whole Live Aid event.
    I still did enjoy the movie :)

danielbravo likes this.
  17. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

That's how exactly how i felt. I've read book after book and watched hours and hours of Queen, so know the story pretty well. This film is aimed at the people that know of Queen and Freddie and like the music, but they shouldn't use it as an accurate story of the band - it's good but not quite right - FBG before BoRhap - that was a clunker. If you want to know the story - watch 'Days Of Our Lives' - for entertainment value - watch the film - simples.

Also did the press conference scene actually happen? I've never read about that anywhere....

18. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Saw the film myself last night and I enjoyed it. I think, simply taken as it is, its perfectly good entertainment. I knew the timeline was all over the place, and a lot of the 'story' was inaccurate and altered for dramatic effect so I'm glad I knew all that beforehand otherwise it would have annoyed the hell out of me. But, the performances were mostly great, and the recreation of Live Aid was a particular highlight.

danielbravo, Efus and Sondek like this.
  19. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

...plus, I'm not sure John Deacon spent quite so much time gurning like that.

danielbravo and OberonOz like this.
  20. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I don't think it ever did. I think it was a dramatic amalgamation of all sorts of press harassment of Freddie over the years about his private life. Ive never seen anything about a single press conference like that, and frankly, Im not sure if anyone back then would have been as pushy and direct as that woman interviewer was.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The cover of the debut album says it all.

Sondek likes this.
  22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's a good album cover.

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just seen the film. Glad I had read about it before I saw it. The timeline is horrendous.

The film is great for people that like Queen from hearing songs on the radio but as a fan it’s not great.

Carlox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.