Queen discography and appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dmiller458, Nov 24, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was amazed that I couldn't find it on amazon about an hour ago .... Why does Queen stuff go out of print so quickly? Do they underestimate their popularity, or is it a way to keep people on edge and rushing to buy stuff?

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In case of the Blu-ray Audio it's just the High Fidelity Pure Audio series that came and went quickly. Some Blu-rays from that series are still easy to get, some others not...

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes and yes.

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

mark winstanley and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I can't stand Lambert's voice. As soon as he starts singing those high notes, I have to switch off. His voice is too harsh and grating.

I love Queen, but have little interest in Queen+.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. To borrow a phrase from Queen fan Greg Barnes (AKA Greg Synth Bootlegs) and his debate colleagues, it's Adam's trademark "goat vibrato" that rubs me the wrong way...

7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Taylor and May are strong singers in their own right. I don't know why they thought they needed to bring in another vocalist to replace Mercury. They don't possess his charisma, but neither do Lambert or Rodgers.

Carlox, gotblues, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I've always been curious about seeing a woman front Queen +. She would still need to be charismatic and possess a good stage presence.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

They also don't have Mercury's range. I think this is especially true now given their ages. I won't judge Lambert, I haven't heard him much.

10. I once read that Brian and Roger initially approached P!nk about performing under the Queen+ name, though she turned down the offer to continue concentrating on her own career. Instead, she pointed them in the direction of Adam, who'd previously released a version of a song she co-wrote (and would later record herself), Whataya Want From Me. The rest, as they say, is history...

Michael Rose likes this.
  11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Interesting. TIL

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I guess this could be considered the Queen Unappreciation thread as well. :laugh:

Philrock90 likes this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Well no, because Queen+ (Brian, and Roger, and whoever is filling in on bass and as a singer) isn't Queen (Freddie, Brian, Roger, and John)

Binni, andrewskyDE, Dave Hoos and 3 others like this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Watched Queen Rainbow bluray last night ... It's really good.
    It's interesting seeing the band before they had their stage routine completely polished ... that isn't to say that it is unprofessional at all ... they certainly were firing on all cylinders

The MEZ, andrewskyDE, Lonecat and 2 others like this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I understand your point but the promoters and band would disagree with you as the tour is being billed as a Queen tour with Adam Lambert. The name is still the selling point, obviously.

QueenOnline.com - Upcoming Shows

Just as many Floyd fans discount the post-Waters band as not being Pink Floyd I can understand how some fans would not consider these guys as being Queen. I'm curious enough to check them out.

16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's billed as a Queen + Adam Lambert tour. Queen + Adam Lambert Upcoming Shows — Live Nation

Band members
    Current members

• Brian May – guitar, keyboards, vocals (1970–present)
    • Roger Taylor – drums, guitar, keyboards, vocals (1970–present)
    Former members

• Freddie Mercury – lead vocals, keyboards, guitar (1970–1991; his death)
    • John Deacon – bass, guitar, keyboards (1971–1997)
    Long-term Queen + vocalists

Queen (band) - Wikipedia

The difference is, Pink Floyd went under the same name despite the lineup change. Queen (Brian, Roger, Brian, John) ceased to exist in the 90s and Brian and Roger go under the banner of Queen +.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Steve M. likes this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You can see Queen + here as soon as you open the official website page:
    QueenOnline.com - The Official Queen Website

Their Adam Lambert shows are Queen + (I got to this via the page on their official website that you posted).
    Queen + Adam Lambert Upcoming Shows — Live Nation

As were their Paul Rodgers shows.
    Queen + Paul Rodgers Tour - Wikipedia

The Cosmos Rocks was Queen +
    The Cosmos Rocks - Wikipedia

I don't think people are uninformed. People who go to those concerts are aware it's only half of the original group with different people playing bass or singing. That's why Brian and Roger have been going under the Queen+ banner for years now.

Steve M. and Man at C&A like this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My point is better made by quoting an earlier post...

Obviously, but's it's still the group Queen post-Freddie. It's not "Queen" in it's original formation but this is how they've been carrying on w/o him. They obviously feel fine using the brand name but if some fans have a problem with that well that's just fine too. Comes with the territory. And if that plus sign helps you make that distinction that's okay too. They're obviously still billing themselves and touring as Queen (with whatever follows) and arguing semantics aren't worth this kind of effort.

On a side note, the new film rocks. I've seen it 3 times.

20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The name isn't much different as they want to sell tickets, but the "+" change is certainly where I draw the line, as Brian and Roger haven't done anything of artistic merit in the last couple of decades imo.

As I originally said, I love Queen, but Queen+, not so much.

The new film is much like the Queen+AL collaboration. It's the Disneyfication of Queen (which appeals to "casual fans and housewives", as @sunking101 put it).

FourWalledWorld and Steve M. like this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Some folks like Disney and many Queen fans love the film despite their fan status, casual or not.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm very much a fan of just about everything Queen did, certainly not a casual fan, and I thoroughly enjoyed the film even though I am totally aware of what isn't right in it. The only things that don't sit comfortably are that it's very much Roger & Brian's biased take on Queen's history. I didn't like the way it suggested Freddie was nothing without them and had to beg them to be back in the band. Also, the way they moved Freddie's AIDS diagnosis to before Live Aid and then made out that show was a triumph against that adversity. It was a triumph anyway and didn't need that context. It's a bit annoying that in time the inaccuracies in the film, and there are very many, will become the accepted version of Queen's history to future new fans. Ignoring all that, the film is very entertaining.

Oh, I forgot Freddie crowdsurfing! :realmad::realmad:

Northernlight, 2141 and Sondek like this.
  23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

By "Disneyfication" that means (by definition): "the transformation (as of something real or unsettling) into carefully controlled and safe entertainment or an environment with similar qualities", or "The presentation of historical or cultural material in an expurgated or distorted fashion in an effort to appeal to a large number of tourists or consumers."

Or in other words, sanitising the Queen story.

Mr Day, Steve M. and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I could live with certain inaccuracies. My main issue with it was how Freddie was made out to be sad, lost, and overly sentimental. There was none of his "I don't give a ****" attitude. Even the party scene was played out like a scene from Eastenders.

It was a fun movie, but not necessarily good. There was a lot wrong with it.

Anyway, about that first album, another track I love...

The MEZ, Northernlight and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Totally true, but that doesn't even slightly bother me. The Days of Our Lives documentary wasn't sanitised and I think that highlighting Freddie's excesses in a high profile film would have been a disgusting and disrespectful thing for Roger and Brian, as his bandmates and friends, to have done.

Nothing Freddie did was ever as bad as crowdsurfing though!

Northernlight likes this.