Queen (first album) poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No. A local dealer broke several of them up and sold the albums for 18€ -20€ apiece. And the book for 5€. I didn't like all remasters, sold off "News Of The World", "Sheer Heart Attack", "The Game" and "ANATO", kept the first two and "Hot Space" - on pink wax!

"Queen II" is especially gorgeous, one white record, the other black. Music on side one, the Queen logo as etching on side two. Sonically that's my preferred version. Even though it's silly spreading it across two records.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was very tempted by it at the time but couldn't justify it as I had the originals. When I found it it was just the 2011 remasters on vinyl the temptation went. I don't mind them, but I bought the CDs with those crappy bonus EPs. The first two are the best of the bunch. I barely play them though. That's a good deal for the book by the way.

3. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

Excellent album.
    Except for "Jesus" (which is only okay), the songs are all worthy.
    The "downside" is the album fell under-the-radar compared to later albums.
    Except for certain songs later on, overall they never were this heavy after the first two records.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The first 2/3 is amazing. The remainder very mediocre. Still qualifies as a great album though.

Glenn coates likes this.
  5. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

One of my favourite Queen albums. Raw yet also majestic.

5/5

Chip Monk and Neonbeam like this.
  6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

if you read the circumstances it was made it is understandable !

7. 4/5. I can see why so many people might rank it as 3/5 or less. Freddy Mercury's vocals were so unique and extraordinary that it makes this album pure ear candy. I love the harder glam rock slant to the music as well. If only "Fat Bottomed Girls" had been recorded earlier and included on this album....

8. marazico

marazico Too Busy Staying Alive!

I bought this when I was a kid - the awkward years about 13 or so :laugh:

Just put it on for the first time in ages. I find it a wee bit patchy.

Always loved Keep Yourself Alive and Liar though 3/5

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It was in the film wasn't it ??

10. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Really good songs and performance but terrible drum sound.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the first 3 songs are simply amazing, i remember being blown away by them the first time i heard them.

after that though........

although most queen albums are not a whole album listen.....maybe queen II and opera.

12. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

A definite 6 out of 5 for me. One of my all time favourite Lp’s even though the production might have been better. However that said the song writing is top notch and it is the perfect segue for Queen II. Quite a hard rock band in the early days!!! Love it !!!

Chip Monk likes this.
  13. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

5/5 Excellent

Chip Monk likes this.
  14. Love it, however I lift the needle after Son and Daughter

15. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

Excellent. And the next 2 albums are even better.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Excellent, 5/5, as are most Queen albums in my view. But if I were ranking them, there are a number of albums starting with A Night at the Opera that I'd put above the first three albums.

Neonbeam and Man at C&A like this.
  17. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

The Fame re-issue was the first I bought with my own pocket money. I’ve picked up an original from ‘73 since. They are similar but have different runout matrix. Neither has a lyric sheet. The Japanese issue from ‘76 has one.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My 1976 pressing has different run outs and is a different cut to first and early ones. I think, but I could be wrong, that the Fame matches this or a later 70s pressing and not the 1973 originals. It wasn't recut for the Fame pressing. Just a label change.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Jazz?

20. Terrapin Station

I'd rank at least A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World, Jazz and The Miracle (not necessarily in that order--they're just listed in chronological order there) above the first three albums. There might be others, too. Usually to really do a ranking I like to listen through the whole discography with ranking in mind rather than just relying on memory.

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Frankly it's dwarfed right away by Q2. A practice run.

How Keep Yourself Alive was left of the UK GH is mindblowing though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Queen albums for me are all 5/5 until The Game, which is at best 4/5 (and after that things get messy). I think maybe people are downranking the debut when voting because they can think of better Queen albums, but some recording artists are good enough to merit top marks consecutively for album after album.

"My Fairy King" is close to being as good as anything they ever recorded and just a stunning studio recording. "Liar" and "Great King Rat" are amazing. "The Night Comes Down", "Doing Alright" and "Jesus" are very sophisticated for a first album. Even the "weaker" songs have some great moments.

Hooperfan, Glenn coates and Chip Monk like this.
  23. Terrapin Station

I don't know if there's a Queen album I'd rate less than a 5/5. Definitely there are none I'd rate lower than a 4/5, and the vast majority are 5/5.

Man at C&A and Sordel like this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

For some bands, the debut album is the best. It's a time when they choose from the best of the material they've been performing in the years prior. It's the Second and Third album that present problems. With Queen, it was quite different. The debut is very much a baby giraffe trying to find its feet. Queen, in my mind, didn't become the Queen most people know and love until their fourth album, Night at the Opera (and with that said, that tied as their very best with Sheer Heart Attack, for me).

There are good moments on the debut, and some under-cooked moments. Queen II is a different Queen, with another set of issues.

Anyway, this is a good album. Not essential, but certainly good.

25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I admire your spirit but ... The Miracle and Hot Space beg to differ.

abzach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.