Queen - Innuendo - opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

it isn't my favourite Queen album, but I don't hate it. To be fair I would need to listen to it more to give a fair judgement.

Gregster likes this.
  2. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Yep - the artwork was really imaginative and fun. Shame the production and mix didn't match it really.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I've always thought the artwork and music went really well together.

The_Windmill and coffeetime like this.
  4. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

A couple of Brian's best solos on that record

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

True, but a lot of the vocals on the "Made in heaven" album were recorded many years before "Innuendo" ;)

(Made in heaven, I was born to love you, vocals recorded in 1984.
    Heaven for everyone, vocals recorded in 1987.
    My life has been saved, Too much love will kill you, vocals recorded in 1988.
    It's a beautiful day, vocals recorded.... in 1980 !
    etc.... )

mtvgeneration likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i really liked the artwork, interesting and classy.

Man at C&A and Sondek like this.
  7. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

#metoo

The_Windmill and Sondek like this.
  8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

A return to form. Best album since The Game.

Innuendo and The Show Must Go on give chills everytime.

Lonecat likes this.
  9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Love, Love, Love this album.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Too many bad synth pads. They should have used real strings or had Brian create something on his guitar. The title track is by far the best thing on here... it too starts off with an unnecessary synth pad that sounds cheesy and dated. Great guest appearance by Steve Howe. Still, the album is far, far better than the three proceeding albums.

Zoot Marimba and Benn Kempster like this.
  11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The synths on Innuendo aren't anywhere near as offensive as you're making out. Another track that sounds good is Don't Try So Hard. The Korg M1 adds a nice vibe to it. I'd say it was their best since The Works.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Diego Lucas, Ernold, walrus and 3 others like this.
  12. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

They are. The complete and utter lack of bottom end makes the whole thing sound incredibly tinny on any system I've played it on which accentuates the shrill of the synths.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

Agreed!!!

Lonecat likes this.
  14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Correct.

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

A couple clunkers, and I don’t like the keyboards on here, but overall the strongest of their later albums.

I Can’t Live With You, All God’s People

jon9091 likes this.
  16. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Better than The Miracle and A Kind Of Magic, but I'd go with 'Best Album since The Works' if that album had just one more track on (I Go Crazy, even?) more than 'Best Album since The Game', but since it doesn't, I'd probably concur. And a lot happened in those 11 years.

Gregster likes this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The '97 "rocks re-take" or whatever they called it of "I Can't Live With You" is one of my favorite Queen deep cuts. They should've just done it like that to begin with.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. longaway

longaway Senior Member

It's a great album, with some truly fantastic songs. Unfortunately, some of the production decisions that were made underserve many (most?) of the album tracks. The mix tends towards sounding thin, and the abundance of electronic substitutions (particularly the drums) gives it more of an Adult Contemporary sound than the material warrants.

This is one of the very few albums that I would heartily support a full overhaul of. The "re-take" of I Can't Live with You really shows what the album _could_ sound like.

Most of the album really only needs a bit of remixing, with some excellent EQ work, to make it come to life. The singles, in particular, and Bijou don't need much. Hitman just needs a good remix.

Swap out ICLWY for the 97 version. Ride the Wild Wind and All God's People could also use the full "Rocks Re-Take" treatment. AGP comes close, but just misses the grandeur it aspires to. RtWW doesn't sound laid back, it sounds exhausted, with a few Xanax on top.

The only single I would consider doing anything more than a minor remix to is Slightly Mad. Maybe it's just me, but it has always felt like the band thought it was more whimsical than it actually is. That said, I have no idea what to do here, so...

Innuendo and Show Must Go On are near perfect. These Are the Days and Headlong do exactly what they set out to do, and do it very well.

Overall, I still think it's a great album, with fantastic songs. Most bands would give body parts for an album as good as this.

19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The 2015 remaster doesn't lack bottom end at all.

I seriously don't see how anyone could be that bothered by the synths on Innuendo. They're really not offensive. The title track in particular. I'm trying to think of a track where they are, and I can't think of one.

On top of that, don't most people listen to classic / older albums realising that they're not from the current time? (rhetorical question).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    905, Frittenköter, DoF and 1 other person like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's a great album, but I enjoy The Miracle more.

longaway likes this.
  21. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Yo,

Agreed here for sure about "The Works", as I've always felt it "is" their crowning moment of the 1980's...( Though not so for the US-of-A audience it appears )...

I listened to "The Miracle, & Innuendo" again a couple of days ago however, & decided that with the removal of a small handful of lesser tracks, you would end-up with quite an excellent double-album effort, that would possibly have been their best ever recordings in the modern-era !

The "dodgy" tunes really do bring these albums down however.

Cheers,

Gregster

22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’ll check them out.

23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

For me It's easily their best album since Flash Gordon and their most interesting since Hot Space. After the horror trilogy of the 80s, I had no right to expect another quality Queen album. There's a 5/5 album hiding in a 3/5 album due to some 'filler' and dated [even at the time] production.
    I know I'm in the minority, but 2 of my favourites [which most others seem to dislike] from the album are of course included in my playlist version. Can you guess what they are?

Innuendo - Redux

1. Innuendo
    2. I'm Going Slightly Mad
    3. Headlong
    4. All God's People
    5. Ride The Wild Wind
    6. These Are The Days Of Our Lives
    7. Bijou
    8. The Show Must Go On

The_Windmill likes this.
  24. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Not a big fan of the later stuff. Nothing to touch the 70s output.

25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

What 2015 remaster?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.