Queen - Innuendo - opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

2. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

I agree with this.

Superb album. I love most of the tracks, except Headlong, Delilah and The Hitman.

All God's People is one of their most underrated songs, imo.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  3. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

For the people stating that the original CD is thin, try listening to it very loudly. It’s a very well balanced CD that really opens up with volume. It may sound thin in comparison to current mainstream CDs, but, the majority of those aren’t well balanced and have insulting amounts of bass and/or treble. The art of subtle mixing/mastering has practically vanished, but, was still being practiced when Inuendo was released.

The_Windmill likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

This isn't my video, but I just found it on YouTube. It's not lacking in bottom end at all...

DoF likes this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

^^ In fact, listening to that now, it's aged much better than a lot of other music from that time.

6. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

'These are the days of our lives,' 'The show must go on,' 'Delilah,' & 'Don't try so hard,' four of the most cringe-worthy songs i've ever heard, truly awful lyrics that nauseate me, and corny beyond belief. I can't stand songs that go on about how great it was in the old days,[or how tough] or songs about gritting one's teeth, pulling one's socks up and carrying on coz you're just such a trooper, they sound so fake.
    Not far behind are 'Headlong,' ' I can't live with you,' & 'The hitman.' However i love the cover! [I still have the calendar that came with the early copies.]
    I also have a big fabric flag with Innuendo on it.

The other five songs are great.

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Don't Try so Hard and Delilah were both written by Mercury, at the end of his life. Don't Try So Hard is fairly self-explanatory, and as for Delilah, he had a lifelong love of cats. The Show Must Go On was mainly written by May with Freddie Mercury in mind. These Are The Days Of Our Lives was written by Roger Taylor. On Songfacts, it says "The song was originally written by Roger Taylor about his children, and how parenthood made him look back on his own life. Inevitably, the song took on new meaning when it was announced that Freddie Mercury had AIDS and knew he was going to die soon when he recorded this."

I don't think there's anything fake about those songs.

905, longaway and The_Windmill like this.
  8. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I think one of the problems with the later Queen albums aren't so much the synths, but the lack of real piano as a byproduct of that. All the 70s Queen albums were quite piano dominated and even the early 80s albums had a few piano songs scattered around - Play the game, Save me, Las Palabras, Life is real, Hard life, Man on the prowl, Friends will be friends etc.. however Freddie became less interested/confident in playing piano (Mr Bad Guy had a lot of it, maybe he had enough after that?) and I think a lot of the material around AKOM/Miracle/Innuendo could do with more real piano to enhance the songs.

Oddly The Miracle is the only Queen album to not really feature a proper ballad at all - To much love will kill you (which had horrible electric piano on it) and the outtake I guess we're falling out are two which might have helped give the album some extra depth, though TMLWKY is no favourite of mine.

When I think of Don't try so hard, Delilah (which does have a few piano bits on it), TATDOOL, or even Show must go on, I just imagine how much more grandiose these songs could have been with some real piano on them. I really think it would elevate some of these songs over these albums into a higher bracket and make them a bit mote accessible.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

It is. The bass buried behind the synthesiser as if it's nothing more than an overdub.

10. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

best post 70s album. Title track is a monster!
    Show must go on is some of the best vocals ever recorded by anyone.
    Days of our lives is a beauty...

Ernold likes this.
  11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

as far as production; it would be very interesting to have the album remixed and take away all the programmed drums, and go easy on the synths...

CrazyCatz and Benn Kempster like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Miracle is a bad album, but still better as Innuendo.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Nonsense. The bass sounds fine on the 2015 remaster. It's not lacking whatsoever.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  14. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Nonsense.

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Not in the slightest.

Even if you can't tell from that video, do you own a copy of the 2015 remaster?
    I'd be surprised if you do, being as you often comment on how much you dislike the album. I do own a copy, and the bass is quite prominent. My system details on my page too, so you know what I'm listening to it on.

16. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Like it a lot, strong Album to go out on..

[​IMG]

Some Great Singles came off this Album..

[​IMG]

Was received quite well I'm few countries..

[​IMG]

We still have a couple more Queen Albums to pick up.. right all this talk bout Queen.. Innuendo to start today's playlist..

Steve M. likes this.
  17. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

I agree that Delilah is awful, but TSMGO and TATDOOL and DTSH are all great.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I do, yes. Why would I bother challenging you on a a version I don't have? You're welcome to your opinion, but seem oddly perturbed that I won't change my view.

Congratulations; I never doubted that. Mine are too. Aren't we good lads.

jon9091 likes this.
  19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

bass is no doubt more prominent on the 2015 release

Steve M. and Sondek like this.
  20. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I'll agree with that, BUT still not as prominent as it ought to be for an instrument so integral to the Queen sound. But, having abandoned that for the synthesiser, it should never have been any surprise I guess and wasn't when I first heard it on the Radio 1 chart show for that first airplay. Until a re-mix is done that shifts BACK the synth, this listener will never be satisfied with it.

21. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm surprised you'd buy an album again that you've repeatedly commented negatively about, making it clear that you cannot stand it. But never mind.

I am not perturbed that you won't change your view at all. But the 2015 isn't lacking bass at all. It's quite beefy, in fact. I really don't know if it's that you can't hear it (and why I don't know), or you're just not admitting it for some reason.

22. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

23. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

How does it sound fake when the person singing it is on death's door? Those are as natural of lyrics as one could sing at that point.

24. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

The endless, simple hope that they get it right this time. They haven't.

jon9091 likes this.
  25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That's the vinyl.

Released:
    25 Sep 2015

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.