Queen "News of the world"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Opinions about this one?
    Any consensus?

2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

For me, this is where things begin to go downhill. They purposefully went for a more simplified sound, and as a result, you get an album that's just not as interesting as what came before it.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I preferred their first 5 albums, and I preferred albums after too. That said, it's still a good album, just not one of their best.

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

erm......I love it......with the exception of Sheer Heart Attack, its my favourite Queen album.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am a big fan of this album.
    We will Rock you is certainly simple, but incredibly effective. The guitars impact at the end is brilliant due to having had only percussion up to that point. Sure it has been overplayed, but that isn't the songs fault
    We are the champions is another song that has been overplayed, but it is brilliantly written, arranged and executed.
    Sheer heart attack is a fantastic rocker and really pumps the album up as the third track
    All Dead All dead, to me is a very good May song and doesn't feel like filler to me.
    Spread your wings is one of my favourite queen songs. It has a melancholy and exuberance that really works for me
    Fight from the inside is another welcome addition from the great Roger Taylor, who could have been lead vocalist for any other rock band.
    Get down make love, while not their best song, has some interesting effects that give the song its own life.
    Sleeping on the sidewalk is one of May's little blues tunes and to me comes over well.
    Who needs you is John Deacon's writing contribution to this album, and although not his best song, it is still good.
    It's late is another good song and again, although not top tier Queen, is certainly not a filler track
    My melancholy blues is one of Freddie's whimsical additions and another favourite of mine off this album.

Is this Queens best album? No probably not, but side one of the old vinyl is a stunning side of rock music and side two is not too shabby at all.
    Fantastic album, that shows that Queen are certainly not a singles band, and deserve their place in the rock hierarchy

6. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

No bad tracks really. Love the sound, particularly on Sheer Heart Attack.

7. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Great production, good thickness on the drums, probably one of the best 'sounding' Queen albums, just like a band playing live in the studio.

8. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

I remember buying this new when it came out I begged my granddad at my local trade store which used to sell vinyl as well as crates of beans and other trade goods for are family store. I loved We Will Rock You and We are The Champions and mostly played those tracks. A few weeks later I sold my first issue copy to a school mate for a profit of 51p a good deal as at the Trade store vinyl used to be £2.99p and I sold it for £3.50p.
    Well now 41 years later I am looking for a nice early UK pressing!
    If only i'd kept it but at the time I was not into all the album but now I am tastes change I suppose.

Doggiedogma and mark winstanley like this.
  9. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I'm pretty certain its the first Queen album I remember actually being released. My dad used to get them all when they came out and a new Queen album became something of an event in our house...

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love this album. I think it might be my favorite to listen to overall (well maybe 2nd to Sheer Heart Attack).

It was the first Queen album I owned picking it up in a cut out bin (well I owned the original Greatest Hits as well). I only really knew We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions at the time. But there are so many great tunes here that I ended up becoming personal favorites.

The best:
    "All Dead, All Dead" - beautiful and creepy sounding. Perfect mix of baroque ballad and rock.

"Spread Your Wings" - Again the melody is haunting and yet it's so powerful... that guitar too. wow. This is the 2nd best tune on the album.

"Sleeping on the Sidewalk" - a great little blues tune... almost sounds like a clever Steve Miller Band tune.

"Who Needs You" - another amazing melody. Great song to sing along with! Beautiful.

"It's Late" - THIS IS THE BEST. Wow! Queen has never been better than on this song. Worth owning the album for alone.

"My Melancholy Blues" - Freddie's voice and the way he used it throughout his career is amazing. But when you put it in this context it really shows how incredible he was. I mean the guy completely kills on this torch song. Wayne Newton couldn't have done it better! ha. I also love singing along with this one.

11. mark winstanley

nicely stated

Sear, ampmods and Floyd Crazy like this.
  12. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

A great Queen album, and where it started for me. It's Late is quintessential Queen.

VH3FAN, Man at C&A, Zongadude and 5 others like this.
  13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Another great album. Of course.

"It's Late" is a phenomenal song, and "Who Needs You" just might be the most overlooked Queen song of the 70's.

14. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

I love it. As good an album as "A Day at the Races" was, I always felt it was a weak follow up to "A Night at the Opera." To me, they really perfected what they had been doing since they started with ANATO and ADATR was a really good encore, if just a little weaker than it's predecessor. I think you hear the band reinvigorated on "News of the World" as they were trying something new. I enjoy every track on the album. And, I have to agree with Giant Hogweed above. The production on the album is great.

15. Sear

Well my opinion is that is a somewhat uneven album although it's good moments shine. I like the hard edge sound of some songs.
    And for me, this LP is better than A day at the races

16. Sear

And that cover is amazing!

17. 905

905 Senior Member

It's my favorite Queen album.

Deano6 and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Major drop in quality. Always thought they borrowed heavily from Judas Preist's Take on the World with We Will Rock You!

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

How the heck could they do that if Priest didn't put out that song until 1979?!!??

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

A huge step down compared to the first four albums. Get Down Make Love is comically bad, and Who Needs You isn’t far behind. Much of the rest is just boring, IMO.
    The first four tracks are the best and it’s downhill from there.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  21. mark winstanley

probably the other way around

22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm absolutely fed up with "We Are The Cahmpions" (particularly with the chorus), but it's an excellent album with extremely interesting deep cuts.

warewolf95 and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I echo the sentiment that this was where things started to go bad, imo.

Firstly I really dislike the song sequence. It kicks off with two big hits, and that's putting it mildly. However, if I never hear these two again it'll be too soon. Good fun songs, but I'm tired of them beyond belief.

Shear Heart Attack just seems to thrash about, and All Dead All Dead is silly.

Spread Your Wings is a great song. Fight for Your Life is very forgettable. Get Down, Make Love is monumentally good.

The final four tracks aren't ones I like or dislike, just sort of "meh".

Great cover art though.

25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I just bought this album for the first time a few weeks ago. I'm not a huge Queen fan but I'm of the age where I heard all their hits on the radio, and I'm starting to dig into their early albums. Initial impression is that it's a little all-over-the-place stylistically. Need to give it another listen or two this weekend.

Terrapin Station and Floyd Crazy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.