Queen "News of the world"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You honestly think "It's Late" is a bad quality song?

LivingForever, npc210, 905 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

In my top three. An exceptional Queen album even if you exclude the hits.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

It's pretty good imho.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think it's pretty uneven, but it has some great highlights. For one thing, I don't like how many songs aren't sung by Freddie Mercury. It's okay to mix in a May and/or Taylor track on every album, but at a certain point, it just feels like they're underutilizing the greatest rock singer of all time. I don't like the classic introductory songs, and most of the album tracks don't really do anything for me. This album does have some really great moments though. "Spread Your Wings" is one of my top five favorite Queen songs, and "It's Late" is Queen at their dramatic best.

LivingForever and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Not a bad album but, for me, certainly not on par with A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, or Sheer Heart Attack.

Man at C&A and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Their worst of the 70s for me. Freddie and Roger contributed the best songs [yes I like Get Down Make Love]. Aside from the odd track here and there, Brian May's songwriting days are well and truly over.

Best Track: My Melancholy Blues
    Worst Track: It's Late

7. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I like it more for the gatefold cover art than for the music.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

most of Queen's albums have many styles across them. That's one of the things I like about them

9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I think it's the other way around

10. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

For me it was the very end. Can't bear hearing We Will Rock You any longer........

However, the bastardised Raw Sessions disc on the SDE gave a very nice insight and alternate view of the album. The live SOTS a special highlight although I'd like to have heard a COMPLETE version of one of the takes that was used to create the final version......

11. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Wow! Blasphemy.

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Exactly. This is not Dreamer's Ball!

13. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I think NOTW album is an excellent album, it does what its suppose to, adding huge epic songs to play before its expanding fan base.
    The weakness of this album, imo, is it tries to stay too close to the album blueprint that Queen had established, the eclectic mix of softer stuff, and allowing Roger to sing lead on a track.

I find Taylor more compelling as a singer on passionate weird rave up stuff like In Love w My Car, Prime Jive, Fun It, More of That Jazz versus the angsty Fight From The Inside. Id have probably left this one off.

Love Spread Your Wings and Its Late.

I can remember listening to Its Late the first time, Brian's riff, Freddie comes in, and I KNEW that it was going to be awesome, and it was.
    Freddie wailing in front of the massive Queen background vocal, the off kilter guitar solo that rights itself right before the band begins to run, Roger's drum break, that low note bend Brian does behind Freddie when he comes back in, and then they kick it back in Sheer Heart Attack style for the outro? Blew my young teenage mind. Every time I hear it takes me back to that moment.

Anyhow... for sure with a tweak in the album's sequencing, they could have crushed Side One, and still had enough for a strong 2nd half, imo.
    And yeah, I dropped Roger's tune from the album...

Side One
    We Will Rock You
    Champions
    SHA
    Sleeping On The Sidewalk
    its Late

Side Two
    Get Down, Make Love
    All Dead, All Dead
    Spead Your Wings
    Who Needs You
    My Melancholy Blues

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s probably the best of what’s left, but I think it’s boring stadium pop/rock. At this point Queen trying to do heavy rock sounded very forced to me. Freddie’s attempts at screams on here are flat out annoying.

15. NightGoatToCairo

Wow! Blasphemy.

Terrapin Station and jon9091 like this.
  16. NightGoatToCairo

Perhaps a different take on the song will renew your interest in it?

17. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

That never happened. It didn't.

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's fortunate I don't own a ban hammer. :D

19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Great album - sequenced poorly - needs to start with something like Sheer Heart Attack and end with We Will Rock You followed by We Are The Champions... That would work much better

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love this album, but totally agree another tracklist order would make the record much better.
    Actually, I made an alternative version of it a while back, opening with the fast version of 'We Will Rock You' (the BBC recording) and closing with 'Rock You' (the standard one) and 'Champions'.

LivingForever and duggan like this.
  21. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

My Melancholy Blues embarrassed me the first time i heard it and still does. Freddie's voice is shocking and is some of the worst singing i've ever heard from anyone. This is the type of Queen song that puts a lot of people off the band, the same as Get Down Make Love, both are just so fake.
    Who Needs You is crap, Freddie thinks he is Argentinian on this one.
    The Beatles could get away with doing various genres as they didn't sound pretentious and lame when they did it. Plus i think the fact studio technology wasn't so good back in the sixties showed how good those particular songs were. Queen sometimes got away with it but often sounded cringeworthy and would leave me so disappointed in them when hearing a new album for the first time, imo.
    It's Late is a great song.
    Get Down Make Love has pathetic lyrics and the noisy middle bit always made me think they were trying to sound like Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love.
    Fantasic album cover.

Queen used to be a hard rock band.

Former member 30842 and jon9091 like this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

To me, the album begins with Sheer heart attack.
    I can't stand the first two songs anymore

LivingForever likes this.
  23. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I love the album. I agree that the two hits are way too familiar now, but that doesn´t make them bad songs. Still, my favourites from the album are "FIGHT FROM THE INSIDE" and "WHO NEEDS YOU", but I like most of the songs. And I do like the sound of Queen rocking out on "SHEER HEART ATTACK" and being a blues band on "SLEEPING ON THE SIDEWALK". Not to mention the retro pleasures of "MY MELANCHOLY BLUES", which sounds very close to "DREAMER´S BALL" on "JAZZ". Love both.

Sondek and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

I like News Of The World better than Jazz

Sear and Gavaxeman like this.
  25. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

It has "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" on it. Enough said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.