Queen Plot Comeback

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Queen Plot Comeback

Rockers "wrestling" with guest vocalists

By Augustin Sedgewick
    Rollling Stone

Putting together the DVD version of Queen's 1986 Live at Wembley album rekindled something for guitarist Brian May. "It's been a voyage of rediscovery," he told Rolling Stone last night at the Songwriters Hall of Fame induction in New York. "What impresses me most is the spontaneity. You can see us kind of eyeing each other to see what to do next. We were a great partnership."

Those memories might finally push May and drummer Roger Taylor back on the road for a new tour, with guest-star singers replacing the late Freddie Mercury, who died of AIDS in 1991. "We're getting closer to the idea," Taylor admitted.

"We wrestle with it daily," May said. "We don't want to go out and replace Freddie. It would be unseemly, and it wouldn't feel right. But if we can go out in some kind of partnership way, and have some special guests, we'd be up for it. We love Robbie Williams, who's quite a loose cannon but quite a phenomenal artist. George Michael, Elton. It would probably be more than one special guest."

May and Taylor warmed up to the idea even more after backing Pavarotti at his charity concert in Modena, Italy, last month. "The whole audience treated us a like it was 1986 and we were still something to scream and shout about," May said.

And last night at their induction into the Songwriters Hall, they played "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" with Wynonna Judd before May took the microphone for "We Will Rock You."

Queen Live at Wembley, featuring those two songs as well as "Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Are the Champions," "Under Pressure" and other hits, is due June 17th.

(June 13, 2003)

2. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Gee, they could go on tour with the Doors.

Queen died when Freddie died. I don't want to see Queen end up like Lynyrd Skynyrd, becoming their own tribute band. Apparently, John Deacon has some taste, as he's refused to be involved with any recent "Queen" projects.

If they need money, why don't they just slap together another bogus compilation like "Greatest Hits III" or put together a box set with B-sides and rarities?

:(

3. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Apparently the band is looking to do a benefit show in South Africa sometime before the end of the year... no word on a vocalist, though.

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

There is no Queen without Freddie Mercury. I can't see anyone else up there singing those songs. How could you even think of replacing one of the best frontmen in the history of rock music?

Oh wait, I guess Kreiger and Manzarek already tried that route. I'm not interested in The Doors without Jim Morrison, and Queen simply isn't Queen without Freddie.

5. KLM

KLM Senior Member

First, let me say I am a HUGE Queen fan and I wish the remaining members good luck with whatever they decide. But I am going to have to agree with Pretzel Logic79, it's just not Queen without Freddie Mercury. Additionally, I understand John Deacon has officially retired from Queen as well. It would seem more agreeable if Roger and Brian were to get back together with some other lead singer, perform some Queen songs (and other solo material) and call it the Roger and Brian show or something like that.

It's a bit like the Who at this point. Should Pete and Roger decide to continue to tour and make a new album, they should call it Pete and Roger and not the Who.

Just my $.02, and again I wish Roger and Brian good luck with whatever they decide, it is there livelihood we are talking about.

6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Axl Rose might be available.

7. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Huge Queen Fan since birth and I would love to see Roger and Brian in concert. I'd pay the $200.00 for front row also. (if prices are that expensive) I just hope this new venture is done with a little more class than the doors. mabey "Insert name Here" featureing Brian May and Roger Taylor of QUEEN (queen in huge letters offsetting the "insert name here") I can understand the touring bug and not consistantly playing live together since '86. It'll be cool to see them if and when they come to the states.

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

And then they could share Ian Astbury on vocals. !! :laugh:

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Mercury less Queen
    Morrison less Doors
    You can just see McCartney thinking........:rolleyes:

10. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Why not? It appears that they'll let anybody sing for them: Robbie Williams, etc.

I thought George Michael did some of the songs justice - but that was in the context of a tribute concert and not a "21st Century Queen."

I agree that No Freddie = No Queen.

On the other hand, maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd could loan them Johnny Van Zant when they're not using him...

:eek:

11. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I must also agree. I've always been a huge Queen fan, and if they try and call it Queen, I definitely will not go. If they call it some other name and have decent guest singers, I might go. Other than that, I'll just buy the "Live at Wembley" DVD tomorrow and be happy.:)

12. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I saw Brian May at a free show here in Baltimore about 10 years ago and he was just great, despite having a soundman who didn't know what the hell he was doing!
    If they called it 'Members Of Queen featuring....' then it might not be too bad. It was tragic losing Freddie, he was unique in rock, with a beautiful, almost operatic voice.
    I do appreciate the m/ch remixes that have been coming out, done without Freddie, but that's ok with me. I trust Brian's judgement.

13. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Amen :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.