Queen "Sheer heart attack" appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I like You're my Best Friend (drums are awesome on that), Misfire, and One Year to Love (great vocal from Freddie). The rest though, yeah, not good.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’ve always liked it too. I was kinda surprised they put it in the live show actually, as I didn’t think it would translate well to that environment.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Me too ! I was 11. Not a bad choice I don't think, seeing as I still have that copy and it still blows my socks off. There is a great sentimental value attached, but it is truly a hell of an album.
    A great baptism into `grown-up' music as it was at the time, and the great leap from singles to albums was made via `Killer Queen'

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Ha! They weren't so obviously bad on the later albums.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Wha?! It's sits perfectly between Misfire and She Makes Me :shrug:

9 Volt and Man at C&A like this.
  6. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Perhaps it really does. I'll have to spin this album again tomorrow!

7. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

`She Makes Me' is a wonderful, and completely unsung piece of magic I think.

Ernold, Giant Hogweed, Sondek and 4 others like this.
  8. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I was just on YouTube as i thought i'd checkout this 'supergroup' that John Deacon was in[for one song] and i noticed this also. It's a little hard to watch because John seems really uncomfortable with all the attention of fans. Maybe i've misread read his reaction as one moment he seems like he wants to disappear and the next he is smiling. Perhaps he just thought he'd better smile, sign the autographs and bugger off! However knowing how shy he is makes me think it was genuine.

9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Agreed. I really like that track.

Ernold likes this.
  10. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Perfect album with excellent but lazy artwork... Same photo for front and back and nothing inside. There were several photo sessions with Mick Rock from Summer/Autumn 1974 which can be greatly used inside.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's a lyric inner sleeve inside. I think the cut up photo on the back was a great idea.

mooseman likes this.
  12. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

It's my favourite A side of any album, by anyone.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Indeed, the original Vinyl has a lyric sheet inner sleeve. I think the sleeve's great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 Volt and Bingo Bongo like this.
  14. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

Really can't agree with that at all, but it's a very fine album. Never understood the benefit of the medley ... why not just have separate standalone tracks?

15. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

My Japanese copy:

[​IMG]

Archon, 9 Volt and Sondek like this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Not read all the thread but I have always loved this album. Was a popular album at my school when it was issued. I always buy the latest remaster on cd (sacd, platinum, mini sleeves etc and vinyl). Why no box set?

17. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Yes, of course there's an inner sleeve with lyrics. But no more photos inside.
    Gatefold sleeve would be much better. Probably it was done to reduce the price as much as possible...

Does anyone noticed that the title on the front and photo crop are different between EMI and Elektra?

18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Unfortunately the age of the gatefold sleeve was coming to an end in late 73 early 74 I think. I was a very naffed off teenager when I bought Deep Purple's Burn with no gatefold! At least SHA had an inner - my Little Feat albums had nowt in them to read look at.

19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You sure? Even when it comes to Queen alone, A Night At The Opera ('75) and A Day at The Races ('76) were gatefolds. The Same goes for News of The World ('77), Jazz ('78), and Live Killers ('79).

Flaming Torch, 9 Volt and cmi like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think they did a brilliant job with the spots where one song ends and the next ends, and I would submit that Flick of the Wrist and Lily of the Valley are two of their best songs ever.

Sondek likes this.
  21. Ernold

I agree they're great songs... just don't see the point of blending them like that.

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I do. The continuity not only adds to the flow of the album, but that final guitar lead Brian May plays at the end of Lily of the Valley gives that feeling you are hearing the end of something big, a 3-song medley, as opposed to just the end of a less than 2 minute song. That guitar part wouldn't have nearly as much resonance if the songs had been isolated from each other.

Ernold likes this.
  23. Ernold

Totally agree. Don't understand why so many people seem to dislike it. Great track.

DPM and cmi like this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Another fine Classic....

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Most releases back in the day were without gatefolds. You were happy when you got one for an ablum that wasn't a double. Hell, there were the odd double albums that didn't have a gatefold - such as Peter Gabriel's Plays Live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.