Queen "Sheer heart attack" appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

No...He just wanted to pick-up his pizza, & got recognized...The next thing he realized, after signing 50 + autographs, is the pizza will be cold...

All the discography is still selling quite well, & at full price, with donations from the purchases ongoing to the Pheonix foundation...

China will accommodate a box-set if you look hard enough on e-bay, but what are you getting ?...

***Sheer Heart Attack...A fantastic album IMO, with its only fault being that it's too short ! I've also found it a little miss-placed too, as it has no album to go back-to-back with, like its two predecessors, & successors...

It really does sit very well in-between them however, don't you think ?...

Cheers,

Gregster

2. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Queen, Queen II & Sheer Heart Attack. Not many better sets of three albums in succession - let alone FIRST three albums - in history.

Man at C&A, Andy Smith and Murph like this.
  3. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

On some days I think 'She makes me' might be my favourite song on the album. So ethereal and dripping with atmosphere and emotion. Brian's vocal is great and the higher vocal harmonies later on in the track push it to the next level. I think Brian was really good at these emotive ballads - Some day one day, Leaving home ain't easy, Save me etc..

4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. Good call, yes they are all gatefolds! Maybe Queen were a bit of an exception! The Bad Company debut was a gatefold in late 73/early 74 so maybe the decline of the gatefold was later than I thought. Still no gatefold for King Crimson's Red and USA which also bugged me at the time. I also guess Queen had a bit of a say in the covers and marketing of their stuff.

Sondek likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. I get the official card sleeves of the Queen albums up to News of the World and Jazz from Japan. The boxes for Rainbow, Hammersmith and NOTW were pretty good.

6. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

? My copy has a “gatefold” lyric sheet inside that could have doubled as a poster

7. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

The copy I have has a poster in it with the lyrics on the backside.

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The original U.K. pressing came with an inner sleeve that had the lyrics prints on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The US copy came with the folded insert with lyrics on one side and band pictures on the other.

[​IMG]

Tanx, mooseman, Gregster and 2 others like this.
  9. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Yup. That’s the one I got!

jon9091 likes this.
  10. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Listened to the album a couple of times now and I am glad that I could "re-connect" with Brighton Rock, that was a bit overplayed over the decades (the link to the website with the analysis helped in this regard :righton:).

I already praised the album here, but I think I could do without "She makes me".

11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

12. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Hahaha - that’s hilarious. Thx for sharing!

Sondek likes this.
  13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Queen's 2nd best. Love the whole album.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  14. Andy Smith

Very cheeky. I love it. My friends hate it. So it goes.

15. Sheer Heart Attack :edthumbs:

16. Andy Smith

I have, in the past, listened to all of Lou’s ‘Metal Machine Music’. I’m no quitter. This, however, I REALLY struggled with. Made it to midway through ‘Flick Of The Wrist’ and bailed. Mildly amusing, sure, but WHY??????

17. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

The ultimate Queen album for me, it flows. Any single track seems out of place if not segued with the previous or next. Put it on and it stays on for the duration. Interrupting only to change sides, any other reason is sacrilege. Immersive.

NightGoatToCairo and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Mario meets Freddie and Co. Almost sublime but totally bonkers.

Archon likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Totally agree. I'd go first five albums. News of the World is the first one with some weak songs on it for me.

Sondek likes this.
  20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm with you on that. Those first five albums are another world.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like Jazz just as much as them. I don't know what it is with NOTW, but it doesn't sound inspired to me. Sleeping on the Sidewalk is very weak and there's a few others I like but don't love. It's Late is my favourite. I also like Sheer Heart Attack a lot. The rest is good but nowhere near what came before.

After Jazz I consider Queen to have become more singles orientated. The Game and Hot Space are great, with some strong non single tracks, but after that Queen albums tend to be 3 or 4 excellent singles and plenty of weak filler. I love it all really though, It's Queen!

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I've always thought The Works was pretty solid all the way through. The only real weak song on that album for me is Man on The Prowl, although it isn't necessarily a bad track, just a so-so one. But overall, I like it as much as The Game.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a good one, but I find it hard to think of it as an album because I bought Queen singles with my pocket money as a kid and by the time I got the LP for Christmas, I had already heard and had every track on a single. It had a much weaker I Want To Break Free too. But if people are hearing it new, I can see The Works is a quite strong album, but a bit too cleanly produced, a bit sterile sounding. I love Machines.

24. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Actually my favorite QUEEN Album.

25. SimonRevolver66

SimonRevolver66 Forum Resident

My favorite Queen album, and my pick for Album of the Year for 1974.

Archon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.