Queen SHM-SACD vs 2011 remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frogsborne, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogsborne

frogsborne Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking to buy some Queen CDs, are one of these options the way to go?

2. frogsborne

Does nobody have any thoughts or advice on these releases?

3. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

They both use the same mastering. I was unimpressed - rolled off bass, unnecessary compression, lifeless.

4. frogsborne

So do I buy the old CDs? I already have 11 albums, just lookin 2 get the other 4

5. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

The remasters are an improvement over the older C.D.'s Which four are you looking to get?

6. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

What is the verdict on Jazz,Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack?

7. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Queen II is (IMO) a revelation! I had the 1993 Hollywood Remaster, a original Elektra Vinyl, and the 2003 EMI Remaster and the 2011 Remaster Blows them all away! A lot more detail in the recordings!

Jazz is nice too! Little heavy on the bass but I don't mind it when Fat Bottomed Girls and Dead on Time come on.

I Don't have Sheer Heart Attack.

masterbucket likes this.
  8. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I generally like the 2011 remasters - never was too keen on the earlier CDs. Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack (my favourite Queen albums and the ones I have played the most) both sound very good in my opinion.

9. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

The Queen SHM-SACD's get slagged a lot due to some compression being applied, but I like them a lot (There are sections where the guitar just leaps out of the speakers like Brian May just dove into the room) and since picking up the first 6 I've retired the rest of my queen collection. I now have a Crown Jewels Box Set I need to get rid of.

gavynnnnn and Jerquee like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I love these remasters! I know they are "controversial", but I think they are far from lifeless. "Jazz" has always been a favourite of mine, especially the quiet ballads - "In Only Seven Days", "Jealousy", "DreamersĀ“s Ball" and all. The SACD version especially sounds great to my ears. Maybe thereĀ“s something wrong with them...

Jerquee likes this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

'Queen II' 2011 remaster is the best of a pisspoor lot, if you don't turn it up too loud. But I'm sure we'll get some more under the new contract. I'd look for the 2001/04 Japanese MiniVinyls.

moops likes this.
  12. I don't think that this thread is going to arrive at a consensus!

For my tastes the 2011 remasters are pretty good. They are not perfect, but neither are most of the mastering attempts that proceed them. In my opinion the original EMI CDs (forum favorites) are overrated and it should be remembered that they were not mastered from the first generation tapes. And I would be skeptical that the SHM-SACDs would offer a real improvement over the standard 2011 remasters.

Davidmk5 and eelkiller like this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

Yep, another vote for these, the best I've heard Roger Taylor sound, great sound overall for me. :thumbsup:

14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand the famous Abbey Road black triangle disc is from a copy tape, not the master. That one is certainly a forum favorite. I wonder if the Wish You Were Here 2-track is thought to be from a copy tape or the master.

15. frogsborne

The game
    Hot space
    Flash Gordon
    The miracle

16. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

With Hot Space, Flash Gordon, and The Miracle go with the remasters! They are better than anything else out there IMO.

As far as The Game, The remasters are good but if you are willing to spend a pretty penny search out the MFSL gold. That is the best out of the buch while the DVD-A is a close second. If not, the remaster is a good runner up!

Hope this helps and I'm sure that other members will put in their two cents.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The 'Hot Space' 2011 remaster is a revelation. I had the 1994 remaster previously, but the 2011 remaster really made me appreciate the album.

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Count me in as another fan of the II-through-JAZZ remasters from 2011. Keeping my original EMI THE GAME though.

19. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

I read the press release about the contract renewal with Universal Music. Not sure if there will be new remasters since this isn't their first contract with Universal, just a renewal of the relationship started three years ago which gave us the 2011 remasters?

http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-...een-sign-new-deal-with-universal-music-group/

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Exactly. This is just a renewal. There won't be new remasters yet - it's barely 3 years since the 2011 remasters were released!

Chris Haley likes this.
  21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I would agree with this , only on e I go back & forth on is the Miracle the new 2011 vs. the original Capital/emi cd , I like both , but either can be had for cheap .

22. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

Just played Queen Greatest Hits shm sacd a few hours ago. Really amazing sound. I'm really glad I bought this a week ago.

23. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

The queen shm-sacd's are a bit loud and forward but damn they are detailed and have such space between the instruments

Mohojo likes this.
  24. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I have the 2011 Sheer Heart Attack cd. It's a bit brighter than I'd like and a touch louder but I'll take that for the much improved clarity over the early 90's "follywood" remaster that I dumped.

25. Do the Japanese SACDs come with the bonus tracks that the 2011 Deluxe Editions come with? They call the bonus tracks a "Bonus EP", and contain on average four more songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.